i30 Owners Club

i30 N Line torque steer and more

Guest · 6 · 2728

Dantrasy
Hi All

What a great forum this is proving to be ... and I haven't even pick up my i30 yet! I've been reading about all sorts of things and I'm fairly clued up now. Even picked up a few leds in readiness to swap out the factory ones based on forum recommendations. So thanks  :)

I've also been watching/reading N Line reviews (as you do). One review ( :link: 2019 Hyundai Elantra GT N Line Review | A Dual Clutch for Only ,000?! - YouTube) featured a hot hatch reviewer (at least half my age) who was a bit reluctant to say he liked the car, mostly because of the lack of lsd and he's probably used to driving much more powerful cars. Another criticism was torque steer (watch from 15:44 and again at 17:50 where he goes full throttle).

The thing is, I didn't experience this when I test drove the car. But it's a possibility the car I drove hadn't warmed up. No other N-Line reviewer has mentioned torque steer. Just this guy.

We'll be getting our car in a week or so (had to wait for the colour we wanted) and in the weeks that follow I'll test for it and see if it's as bad as the video presenter suggests.

In the meantime I'd like to invite comments about your experiences (or lack thereof) with torque steer with the 1.6t coupled to SR and N-Line models. Thanks.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Glad you like the forum (hard not to, he says modestly) :mrgreen:

I've done almost exactly 60,000 kilometres (59,800) in almost 24 months (My SR turns 2 in 5 days time) :cool:

I have never really noticed any obvious torque steer, either with the original Hankooks or the grippier Michelin Pilot sport 4 that I recently fitted.

I have driven in anger on occasions but you don't have to be brutal with the accelerator to get good performance out of the DCT. Smooth and progressive wins the race. I've left a few much pricier/sportier cars behind on some of Tassies targa roads (but don't tell the cops)  :snigger: 
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doyourbiz

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, Australia
I've had my N-Line for 5 months now and can't say I've had any noticeable torque steer.

I watched that review the other day and was a bit confused by that comment myself.
  • 2018 i30 N-Line Premium 1.6T Polar White

Offline mrpayner

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Ballarat
Ah yes, I watched that review before seeing this thread as well .. I am led to believe that the US/Canadian market gets a completely different tyre [or tire, in this instance] for the manual and DCT variants .. Allegedly the manual receives the same Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyres we get, however the DCT receives different tyres. [source].. I have heard this via another avenue as well however I can't remember the details. Some of the promo shots that I've seen have Hankook Ventis tyres on the car.

Tyres certainly contribute to a different driving experience so this may also contribute to a higher level of torque steer?

« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 07:38:45 by mrpayner »
  • 2019 Hyundai i30 N-Line Premium - 1.6lt T - DCT - Fluidic Metal

Dantrasy
Yes, that's correct. In Canada they get Hankook. You can see them in this newer video @ 11:42.

:link: 2019 Hyundai Elantra GT N-Line from Family Wheels - YouTube

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA
After from changing over from the standard 18" wheels with Hankook tyres.  I cannot remember anytime experiencing torque steer.

Now that I have got the 19" wheels with Pirelli P Zero tyres from the I30N. So there is a lot more grip from the Pirelli's

Normally I can't put my foot down to hard in 1st gear, otherwise the traction control kicks in or you get the wheel hop that these cars do.
But 2nd gear from around the 1500 - 2000rpm. with the original tyres. I get slight wheelspin as the tyres try to grip, then acceleration.
But I tried a couple times on my way from home last night with the Pirelli's. No sign's of wheelspin just grip.
But plenty of torque steer as it now wants to wander over the road. But that is only in 2nd gear. By the time I'm in 3rd gear. Accelerates normally. 
So to me these cars torque steer the more grip there is. My car is a manual.  So I can't say how a DCT is in the same situation.   
  • PD i30 SR Manual Phoenix Orange

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal