i30 Owners Club

The Oil I'm now using in my CRDi

Lakes · 25 · 8761

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Well was not sure were i should post this, but here goes.
I just had my 60,000k Service, the guy i have always used is up to date with the latest diesel tech, and i respect his knowledge. he has been telling me to use this oil for a while now, as said he thinks it is the best.
also i personaly know a few people that have 350,000+ K up on small common Rail Turbo diesels and the distance they travel increases by the week. not one Problem one guy uses this oil too, and runs on BP diesel uses Wynnes Diesel Fuel treatment ( not sure this is exact name for the product but it's close i just used some in last tank full )
here is a link to the oil i'm useing
http://www.lubricants.elf.com/lub/lubroot.nsf/VS_OPM/B459FC5693C11201C12571B6004A32E7?Opendocument

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Which one m8 the LLX?
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Pip
I assume the LSX.

Good to see someone spending their money on really good oil. :D

I know you can't hear it but I'd bet it even sounds better Lakes!

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hi Dazz, i'll check later the guy, gave me the lable i have stuck it to the body under lift up floor, for reference.
Hey thanks pip. normaly i would not be swayed by someone telling me this is what i should be useing. but a while back i got to see first hand how good ELF oil is. a friend was having a lubrication problem with a hi performance race motor. after switching to ELF synthetic, it solved the problem and i got to inspect inside the motor, i was impressed. but at that time, i was not about to spend that type of money on oil, as i did not have any lubrication problems.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
g'day lakes.how much is a 5ltr bottle of the oil.?  :razz:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
g'day lakes.how much is a 5ltr bottle of the oil.?  :razz:

G Day 2130s, i'm not sure but i think it's $80 to $90. they guy that serviced my car suplied the Oil, that is all he will stock.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
 :eek: but i think for that price its an exceptionally good oil.  :razz:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Pip was correct, thats the type ELF oil i'm useing.
Thanks 2130s.
now i have to buy another Fuel Filter as i did not get a new one, but had replaced the original @ 35,000 (i was changing the castrol 5w 30w every 5,000k) i thought it would be ok leaving it as i have never had the water in filter light come on. But the tech told me that it is very important with these electronic injectors to change Filter @ 30,000k as if they get damaged it is very expencive to replace & might not be covered by warranty as would be normal wear and tear. like say your tyres wearing out. so filter is cheap in comparition.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

now i have to buy another Fuel Filter as i did not get a new one, but had replaced the original @ 35,000 (i was changing the castrol 5w 30w every 5,000k) i thought it would be ok leaving it as i have never had the water in filter light come on. But the tech told me that it is very important with these electronic injectors to change Filter @ 30,000k as if they get damaged it is very expencive to replace & might not be covered by warranty as would be normal wear and tear. like say your tyres wearing out. so filter is cheap in comparition.

I just changed mine at 60,000 and the mechanic said no water or "crap" in the old one .. I didn't look too closely at the Kia equivilent that I bought but the mechanic and his offsiders had a good laugh because they said even though in a kia box had Hyundai written on it (so much for kia genuine parts  :lol:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hi Dazz, that is great news!
the thing is my Tech does not know what i do in between when i see him for each service. so he has to alow for the worst possible cases. as if he said don't worry leave it till 60,000k. and then i tell my family, don't ever worry about changing that filter till you see 60,000k on the speedo. and so & so told me this. then say 1 week latter i die suddenly and a mistress or my partner start to use my 130 CRDi and they take 10 years or more before it reachs 60,000k. but 1 year after i die the family might miss fuel the car and it goes bang. a woman or someone else with no knowldge of cars at all might blame the tech guy for saying just leave it as it is till 60,000. when its more than distance, time like years have to be taken into acount too. so we can't post it's ok to wait till 60,000k. understand what i mean now Dazz my Honorable online friend? i know i have never meet you but i can tell by reading what you post you are a really great person & can be very proud of youself, my forum friend!
cheers Dazz :)
another atempt of trying to explain is, like say you have a beautifull home that you take great pride in, but you have to go oversea's for one reason or another. and you get a cleaning contractor to care for the cleaning side. and a maintainance contractor to maintane it. but no one is living in it. they all take your money for the agreement you make with each company. you feel really good while away then come home the place is a wreck. know what i mean?
cheers mate

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi John,

I see where you are coming from... At this stage I will continue to replace my fuel filters every 60,000 but I am certainly not encouraging others to do the same if their book says every 30,000 or their dealer recommends doing it every 30,000 not for me to argue (it is not my money)

Thanks for the kind words BTW... :mrgreen:  I would trust you with a wallet full of 50's (you are a real straight shooter .. I like that too  :D)

Pip
Hi John,
I would trust you with a wallet full of 50's (you are a real straight shooter .. I like that too  :D)
But would you trust him with your (3rd?) wife? The man might be a straight shooter but is a self confessed multiple partnered one!

"..i die suddenly and a mistress or my partner..."

:rolleyes:
Actually, you two might have a lot in common... just whether you have 'em serially or parallel!

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
 :) Pip,
WEll everyone,
 i think sometimes we all get carried away & talk like old friends. but, i'm also studying again . and after talking to younger people . i now understand the difference, between when i was young. & what they learn today.
also we might have young people or people trying to understand what is needed to maintain  an i30, be it, petrol or diesel. and i feel responcible for everything i have ever put into print. and i worry that i might have given a young person with there first car the wrong impression. because it is one big world today & we are all in it together, like one big family. and i feel like everyone here is part of my family and i might have given the wrong impression. so sorry if that was the case.
but i can honestly tell you. i have driven a lot of different types of transportation over the years. and could only guess at the distance i have traveled. but it has been a long way. and the i30 CRDi 08 model i have is as reliable as anything i have driven. and has been trouble free, but i drive with a gentle touch , even if i'm driving fast i'm not abusive to my ride.
kind regards to all, lakes

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I know we have got a bit off topic but that is good advice John.. I have not flogged a car as such in the last 30 years (maybe the first 5 years of driving i did a bit) but unlike this modern generation I never blew a diff or worse still a motor.. You can "have fun" or drive relatively quickly without over stressing your vehicle.. :cool:

Offline paul

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Brighton
I agree Dazzler, my son has no empathy for the mechanical side, and has the attitude
  "drive it like you stole it"    that is why i am always repairing his car!
however i can go just as quickly with my style of driving, and other than servicing never have to repair anything.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
i drive my cars like i stole em sometimes....

BUT i a pretty anal about maintenence... when i do a service "i do a service" if there is a noise, i look into it... if something looks like it needs replacing, it gets done right away...

Offline paul

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Brighton
me too will not tolerate oil on my drive if it leaks i fix it ,
i am probably the only Muppet that polishes under the bonnet/hood what ever you foreigners call it,
i don't like dirty engines!

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
lol your not the only one that does that! ive been known to do that in cars when i pull the engine out... (lets just hope thats not in the i30) i wash under the wheel arches/sills/bonnet/door jams/boot every time i wash the car!

Offline paul

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Brighton
lol  we must be related agent :lol:

oooh  i went in to asda / woolmart   last week and got 5 ltrs mobil 1  5w 30 
C3 fully synthetic for £32,  good price

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

That is a goooooood price - garage charge c£15/litre
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi

I must check my local asda, thanks for the tip.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Thanks, its a bargain. Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 ACEA-C3. Hope the dealer likes it. Will no doubt try to charge me corkage  :lol:

Offline paul

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Brighton
Not that i distrust the dealer (says he who trusts no one) but im going to stay during the service and make sure he puts it in lol.
i only say this because once i bought a new nissan and was charged for  new oil and oil filter and they were not changed,
(1) I marked the old filter with my initials and i got the same one back
(2) i asked if the oil was sucked out of the dipostick hole and they said no.
but the sump was painted with the plug in, and was not removed because the paint was not cracked,
i thought they would'nt change it because it was as clean as  new oil.

i distrust ALL garages, and if it wasnt for the warranty i would do it all myself!

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal