i30 Owners Club

Diesel oil

pawl007 · 15 · 5787

Offline pawl007

• 2nd Gear
Hi Everyone

The good missus and myself are going on a belated honeymoon trip through the east and south west of West Oz. Heading off on Monday at 9am and today I thought I would check the oil, water, air etc. Noticed the oil is half way between full and low and thought I would give it a top up because the trip will be approx 3000 km. Problem is that the Hyundai service departments are all closed and now I don't know what oil to top it up with. Easter time and only a few auto places are open. Repco is and a few others. The car has done 10000km and still has 5k to go until its next service. Does anyone out there know which diesel oil should go in there?  The last thing I want to do is put in something that will damage the motor. I suppose it will be ok to leave it but would prefer to be top it up.
Thanks

Online AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Read through this thread or search this forum for other threads on engine oil...Your service handbook will specifiy the correct oil specification for your engine

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=8560.0

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline pawl007

• 2nd Gear
Yes thanks a lot but when I look through the specs it it gives 2 options; one for a vehicle with a catalyzed particulate filter and the other for one without. How will I know if mine has a CPF or not?

Online AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Does it not tell you in your handbook what oil is appropriate.

If not - the safe bet is to assume the engine has a CPF
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
did you have the oil changed at 7,500kms? you could check the invoice to see what they used.  :idea: :winker:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline pawl007

• 2nd Gear
No, we were under the impresssion that after the initial service at 1000km that the next one is at 15000km.
Also there is nothing in the handbook to say whether my vehicle has a converter or not

Offline pawl007

• 2nd Gear

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
That's very interesting Lester for the CRDi (in OZ at least) it only gives the Castrol edge 0-W40
not the 5-W30   :confused:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
it also gives crdi automatic, and crdi manual. i wouldn't have thought the engine oil would be different because of what gearbox you have.  :confused:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
pawl007, it would be safe to use something like Castrol's Edge 5W 30 or even Nulon's equivalent in your i30. They are both usually available in 1 litre bottles.

You don't have to worry about any particulate filter as the Oz i30's don't have one fitted.   :goodjob:

Offline pawl007

• 2nd Gear
Thanks a lot all and sundry. Rustynuts, that sounds good to me. Will have to get a bottle in Kalgoorlie. Cheers.

Pip
You will not hurt anything by using any engine oil as a top-up; even dino oil. Much better to be full than low, although the low mark is still a safe level.

AFAIK all (?) Oz cars say ACEA B4 near the filler cap. Any oil that meets that (look on the container) is exactly what is required. As far as viscosity goes, w30 or w40 would be fine, not w50.

Surprising to have used much oil in so new a car though. If anything oil consumption shoud reduce as the engine beds in so it will probably improve. While you have the book out, just verify you do not drive in the "harsh" conditions that suggest you ought change the oil every 7500Km intervals.

I guess you have already gone now... so I hope you enjoyed the trip. :goodjob:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
My crdi has a sticker under the bonnet that says "This vehicle is not fitted with a particulate filter" or words to that effect.
And by the way, when I initially asked the service dept of John Hughes what oil they used they were unable to tell me. They just said it was a "blend" that they buy in bulk which didn't fill me with confidence.
Which is why I have always used their mobile service facility and have supplied my own oil so I know what goes in there.
I use Shell Helix Ultra with the correct specs for the diesel engine.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
my dealerships service dept uses shell oils now,the castrol magnatech wasn't cutting the mustard apparently.  :wink:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal