i30 Owners Club

Should I get this investigated

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
My 2011 FD i30 CRDi is now in its 4th year and last year of warranty.

I suspect I've got a similar issue to this thread:

:link: 2010 i30 Diesel Transmission Vibration

Basically a vibration/humming which is apparent on moderate-heavy acceleration most noticeable for me in 3rd gear from about 1600-1900rpm.

The issue is, it's a slight issue. I think I've basically adjusted my driving to avoid it so that it's rarely there in normal driving. I rev 2nd gear up to 2500rpm so in 3rd it's usually falls only to 1900rpm so the vibration is not apparent. Also I am usually driving for economy so gentle acceleration most of the time.

However I can make it do it by changing into 3rd early, starting at 1500rpm and giving it the boot. If the car accelerates quickly on the flat then 1600-1900rpm is gone pretty quickly so the vibration is gone pretty quickly. If it's on an uphill stretch, the vibration lasts longer as it takes longer to go through that rev range. Also the more throttle, the more evident it is.

Chin Ho in the other thread suggests that it's a flywheel issue.

My issues:
1. I need my car and I'm not sure if this would take it off the road for some lengthy period when the problem is fairly slight.
2. Could the dealer in anyway find some way of saying this was not under warranty if it's clutch-related, and charge me even for diagnosis.
3. Let's just say I'm familiar with the dealership that has caused him a lot of grief.

I've read in the manual that clutch and brake friction linings are not covered by warranty. Could I assume that the flywheel is not a friction lining and should be covered?

Would you think this is serious enough to raise up with dealer for possible warranty repair?
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I would definitely breech the subject when you can spare the car for a day or two, but not with "that" dealership..  :whistler:

Explain that it didn't used to do it and see what they say.  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline h20melon

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong
When I had my gearbox oil leaking on to the clutch problem a couple of years ago, the HY dealer stated up front that because they did not know exactly what the problem was that i would be ultimately responsible for all labour costs (at $135 per hour) if the problem was not under warranty. Thank goodness for me that it was under warranty as I would have been up for $3000. They did quote that if it was only the clutch causing he vibration then hey would only charge $2500 which is their "standard" price.

My car is due for its 75000 km service at 4 year mark and it is again starting to make the same vibration at around 1900rpm, but same under load and goes very quickly.
  • 2011 i30cw CRDi Manual

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Yes
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
When I had my gearbox oil leaking on to the clutch problem a couple of years ago, the HY dealer stated up front that because they did not know exactly what the problem was that i would be ultimately responsible for all labour costs (at $135 per hour) if the problem was not under warranty. Thank goodness for me that it was under warranty as I would have been up for $3000. They did quote that if it was only the clutch causing he vibration then hey would only charge $2500 which is their "standard" price.

My car is due for its 75000 km service at 4 year mark and it is again starting to make the same vibration at around 1900rpm, but same under load and goes very quickly.

That's what I'm afraid of. At the moment the car drives fine if I make sure it has >2000 rpm if I need to accelerate quickly. I do think there is an issue. I wouldn't want it to get worse out of warranty but by the same token I wouldn't want to find out I had a bill for $2500 just to investigate it.

On closer reading, if the clutch is not slipping at all, is there any way they could say it is a non-warrantable clutch issue.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Basically a vibration/humming which is apparent on moderate-heavy acceleration most noticeable for me in 3rd gear from about 1600-1900rpm.

The issue is, it's a slight issue. I think I've basically adjusted my driving to avoid it so that it's rarely there in normal driving. I rev 2nd gear up to 2500rpm so in 3rd it's usually falls only to 1900rpm so the vibration is not apparent. Also I am usually driving for economy so gentle acceleration most of the time.

However I can make it do it by changing into 3rd early, starting at 1500rpm and giving it the boot. If the car accelerates quickly on the flat then 1600-1900rpm is gone pretty quickly so the vibration is gone pretty quickly. If it's on an uphill stretch, the vibration lasts longer as it takes longer to go through that rev range. Also the more throttle, the more evident it is.

I would've said it was fairly normal.... :undecided:

My 2010 diesel doesn't appreciate hard acceleration at those low-ish revs and responds with a bit of harshness and vibration until it gets into the "torque zone"...

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I would've said it was fairly normal.... :undecided:

My 2010 diesel doesn't appreciate hard acceleration at those low-ish revs and responds with a bit of harshness and vibration until it gets into the "torque zone"...

Maybe I should post a sound recording?

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
This is the best I could do.

Please excuse quality as it's recorded from my smartphone. You'll have to turn up the volume +++

Fast forward to:
2:47
3:36
3:51
4:05
4:22
5:10
6:07
7:09

Note that this is quite artificial in that I could drive the whole hour and not get this. Only if I'm accelerating rapidly from quite a slow speed in 3rd gear would I get this.

What do people think? Something wrong?

:link: Vibration - YouTube

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Wow, it is quite pronounced when it happens!  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Mine does something similar now and then when accelerating from low revs. In mine it's the gear shift cables or the gear lever, as it go away when I put my hand on the gear lever.

• i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Mine does something similar now and then when accelerating from low revs. In mine it's the gear shift cables or the gear lever, as it go away when I put my hand on the gear lever.

I'll try that and see if it helps.

The dealer is saying that if the car has to have the transmission or flywheel inspected it's a big job. They would disassemble it and if there was something wrong they'd wait for a part which could be upwards of a week off the road with no car. I am keen to avoid that if it's actually something normal and won't get worse.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Well, it's not normal that's for sure.  I don't get any vibrations in the car when the noise is there.

• i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Listening to the recording it doesnt sound like any clutch noise ive ever heard. I make the assumption that you have your foot completely off the clutch pedal by this point, correct?

It is a tinny noise but a bit solid too. Only happens at certain RPM, but probably more likely its at a certain resonance* from the engine.

First thing I would be checking is all exhaust mounts and heat shields.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Listening to the recording it doesnt sound like any clutch noise ive ever heard. I make the assumption that you have your foot completely off the clutch pedal by this point, correct?

It is a tinny noise but a bit solid too. Only happens at certain RPM, but probably more likely its at a certain resonance* from the engine.

First thing I would be checking is all exhaust mounts and heat shields.

Thanks

I am mostly going by the 2 threads which describe almost identical symptoms to me which have localised it to either a clutch or flywheel issue.

:link: 2010 i30 Diesel Transmission Vibration

:link: Replacement Clutch due to vibration noise (Was:Replacement Flywheel - 1.6CRDi)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
It does sound like you're trying to accelerate at quite low revs, hence the rumble and vibes until it gets into the max "torque" range. If you keep the revs up around 1800rpm does it still do it?  :undecided:

The tinny noise sounds to me, (like Cruiserfied said) an exhaust heat shield...  :undecided:

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
No it doesn't happen if I keep the revs up.  It is at that transition just before entering peak torque band. In this sound clip, yes I'm trying to bring it on by purposely accelerating hard in 3rd from around 1500 rpm.

My foot is completely off the clutch. Holding onto the gearstick does not change it.

Otherwise the only time I'd hear it was if I was cruising at low speed in 3rd eg coming up to a red light or slowly going around a gentle corner then suddenly go to accelerate.

I could ignore this problem, but I'm not sure of the cause and obviously wouldn't like to get stung out of warranty if it did suddenly worsen.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
You need to get it into your dealer and demonstrate the noise for them.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Preliminary report: flywheel to be replaced.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal