i30 Owners Club

Hyundai i30 squealing crunching breaks

Sam10 · 4 · 1586

Offline Sam10

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Scotland
Hey folks

Last summer my car breaks (17 plate i30) started making squealing and crunching noises when hot. Pads n discs got changed but the noise persisted. Anyway, it went away when winter came and remained dormant until this summer... the sound is back but worse! Squealing when break is applied and grinding to a stop. Pads n discs are fine.

I've seen a few hisotrical posts on here about a similar issue but haven't heard of anyone being successful in resolving the issue.

Any help would be appreciated.   :crazy1:
  • Hyundai i30

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Sounds like the anti-squeal shims are missing. And probably were before you changed the pads.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
Sounds like the anti-squeal shims are missing. And probably were before you changed the pads.
By anti-squeal shims do you mean the thin shim on the back of the disc pad or the springy bits that clip into the pad carrier and that the pads slide along? All the pads I've bought have the shims on the back fixed to the pads so you can't fit the pads without them. However, not all pads are sold with the springy bits so I can well imagine someone missing them off. I'd also check the caliper glide pins move freely and are lubricated.
  • i30 CRD

Offline Endeavor

• 2nd Gear

• ca Canada
      BC
I had similar issue.  I believe pads that came with the rotors are with cery high metal content. ( although they were fine for a while). I Replaced the pads with ceramic and the issue went away. I can provide you with the make model of pads i have. I believe they are called hybrid, made by Raybestos.
  • 2012 Elantra Touring FD 2.0 Auto

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal