i30 Owners Club

Acceleration problems

LizzieB · 21 · 13038

Offline LizzieB

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
I'm a new chum from Victoria, Australia, Lizzie, and have been hitting the internet over Christmas trying to sort the problem in the subject (that is if it is a problem and not just me being an ex manual driver).  So before I pounce on the dealers when they open tomorrow, someone out there in i30 land may be able to put me right.  O.K.  Two months ago I bought a new Hyundai i30 2 ltr SLX wagon, petrol, automatic.  Think that covers it.  At just over 300 km  the transmission was replaced.  Pulled up at lights on a main highway, it shuddered and stopped.  Taken back to dealer on a flat tray tow truck.  Now .... am I being over-conscious of every little thing or what ...... The latest ...... travelling from 0-100 kms wonderful, then enter an 80 km zone ...... then when leaving the 80 zone and entering a 100 zone again press accelerator normally ....... dead ...... have to really press hard on accelerator to get car moving.  Same thing when about to overtake a slower car, have to really floor the accelerator to get it to change down to get the power to overtake sufficiently quickly taking into consideration oncoming traffic.  Same on hills, and I don't mean steep ones.  If I don't really force my foot down it just loses speed.  It's done just over 2,000 kms.   My first new car and the one that was "going to see me out"!!!!   

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
welcome aboard Lizzy.  :mrgreen: Ive moved this topic to a more topic related section of the forum.  :winker: the auto trans problem you mention isn't really a problem/fault as such but more of a case of the transmission needs to learn your driving style. my wife's 2.0 auto petrol cw did the same thing when it was new. give this a try,when you want to drop down a gear push the gear stick over towards the console,this will manually change the trans into 3rd. once the car is at its speed you require just pull the gear stick back toward you and it will change into 4Th,top gear. do it for a few weeks and you'll find the car changes gears on its own more responsively. the head mechanic at our dealership told me to try that on the wife's cw and the problem was solved,it needs to learn your driving style.  :mrgreen:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Lizzie .. welcome & sorry to hear of your trouble.. :disapp:

Steve (2i30s in the post above) has an auto (or his lovely wife Sue does anyway) and we have only had Manual i30's x 2 but your issue sounds like more than a learning issue to me. I would try what Steve says but also get the dealer to take a look as well....
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hi Lizzie  :welcome:

Great post Steve :goodjob:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
Hi Lizzie .. welcome & sorry to hear of your trouble.. :disapp:

Steve has an auto (or his lovely wife Sue does anyway) and we have only had Manual i30's x 2 but your issue sounds like more than a learning issue to me. I would try what Steve says but also get the dealer to take a look as well....
and sorry Lizzie,like dazz has mentioned,if the trans keeps going the way it is see your dealer about the issue.

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
Is it too late to insist on a replacement car?
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
from reports on the forum it seems to be commonly reported .  :disapp: the hand full of members that have taken my advise,and changed gears with their auto trans in the manner above, said the auto trans changed gears properly afterwards.  :goodjob2: it says in our user manuals that the auto trans adapts to the drivers driving style.  :winker:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Yes, but how long should it take to adapt. If the car is driven by different drivers, on that basis, it wouldn't know if it was Arthur or Martha. It's only supposed to take 5 minutes isn't it.  :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Yes, but how long should it take to adapt. If the car is driven by different drivers, on that basis, it wouldn't know if it was Arthur or Martha. It's only supposed to take 5 minutes isn't it.  :question:
That's a good point.
My daughter was doing some work experience at Qld Health on the Sunshine Coast as part of the final qualification for her degree and they went out in a Peugeot auto which the dep't has. Same issue. No one in the dep't wants to drive it because it takes forever to recognise there's someone else behind the wheel.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
it only took the wife a few weeks tops,she couldn't believe it was the same car when she started to drive normally.  :razz: [not manualy with gear stick]

Offline LizzieB

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
Lizzie here.  I posted a very informative descriptive reply 10 minutes ago about results, clicked post,  but it's not coming up.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
Lizzie here.  I posted a very informative descriptive reply 10 minutes ago about results, clicked post,  but it's not coming up.
your post seems to have literally disappeared Lizzy.  :blubber: :confused:

Offline LizzieB

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
Repeat tomorrow.  Big day in the garden today.  Off to bed with a good book before I turn into a pumpkin.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Don't you hate that... :undecided:

If it happens again, hit the back button in your browser and then select all the text and copy it (ctrl + c) before trying to post it again (if that errors out, you can then select reply again and ctrl + v to save typing it again) :goodjob:

Offline LizzieB

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
Lizzie here:  Keeping the advice and comments made in the forum in my head, I decided to visit a mechanic friend.  He's no dill, builds sports cars, so that must account for something.  Repeated what I had said on the forum.  O.K. let go for a drive ...... he showed me how to turn it into a virtual manual, but thought it a tad boring as he drives a 6 speed auto VW (bought mainly for his wife) but he uses (plays) with the manual quite a bit.  Knowing I had only driven a manual Subaru and Mazda these past 11 years he was quite aware of my driving style.    He said ... Lizzie .... you bought this car as an auto so just put it in drive and drive ..... put your foot down really firmly when you want to change down to get more power and just use no. 3 when you're pulling a trailer (as I will occasionally being a mad gardener) and no. 2 (or was that no. .1) when your'e in really slow traffic (which I won't be).  So I took the little darling for a run to show it who was boss.  The dealership where I test drove and bought the car only had suburban streets all around it and there was no opportunity to get out onto the open road.  So I really didn't understand the intricacies of driving an automatic.    I now realise I had certainly been driving it too sedately, too gently, too kindly as it responded splendidly with a bit of push and shove.  I don't do a lot of suburban street driving, it's mainly highway, country roads, so there's a lot of 100 kph driving.     I didn't want to go down the manual/memory track as we're a family with different types of vehicles for different needs so there's a fair bit of swapping going on and we've all got our different styles.   Anyway I must thank everyone who took part and I've certainly spent a few enjoyable hours on the site looking at the questions and answers/suggestions and part of the fun is the good-natured banter that goes on as it appears to on most forums.  I subscribe to several genealogy forums.  I will most certainly come back to the i30 club to see what's going on, hopefully tho' not because I have i30 troubles.  I imagine there will be other new owners experiencing the manual/auto changeover that will learn from my experience.  Thanks again all ..... LizzieB

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for the feedback Lizzie  :happydance:... Please don't become a stranger  :confused:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
 :whsaid: There's a fair bit going on in this forum, a lot of info that may be useful to you.  :goodjob2:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
  I subscribe to several genealogy forums.  I will most certainly come back to the i30 club

You never know LizzieB, you may find some long lost relatives via this site..

Many hours and k's of auto motoring
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
  I subscribe to several genealogy forums.  I will most certainly come back to the i30 club

You never know LizzieB, you may find some long lost relatives via this site..

Many hours and k's of auto motoring

This is quite true. We even had one guy from the Caboolture area north of Brisbane who found his former high school teacher on here.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline i30niko

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      ADELAIDE, SA, AUSTRALIA
the auto trans problem you mention isn't really a problem/fault as such but more of a case of the transmission needs to learn your driving style.

Hey I have the same problem. 700km on the clock, cruising with 60km/hr and the car holds to 3rd gear! it will not change to 4th! I do not understand the concept of the car 'learning' ur driving style. The gearbox is just a gearbox and is not efficient driving on the 3rd gear when it can easily change to 4th. I am sure this is common sense for any auto, regardless if the vehicle needs to learn or not.....
  • 2010 i30 diesel SX auto

Offline TazManiac

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brighton, Tasmania
The auto gearbox contains a lot of electronics and  "software" for lack of a better word. The gears in an auto are changed automatically by this software and it learns the way you drive and changes the gears at different times depending on how you drive it personally.
  • 2012 i30 FD SX 2.0 Petrol

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal