i30 Owners Club

Around Australia in my i30.

Offline Jonesyvt

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Joondalup, WA
Anyone interested in the details?

Travelling and camping with my GD i30.

Just got home, can tell the story if readers are keen.

Jonesyvt
  • 2011 CRDi Manual Hatch

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Yes please
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Jonesyvt

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Joondalup, WA
Hello all. I have just got home to Perth WA after a 6 week drive from home to Cairns in North Queensland via South Australia and outback NSW. The plan was for 2 of us to fly over to catch up with family doing the big lap of Oz , spend a week or two camping with them and then go to Sydney to see a new grandchild then home to Perth.
Recent air travel has been problematic for us as we have found with flights cancelled, and as we were going in school holidays accomodation and hire cars can be in short supply around the country.

So as we had 6 weeks all up driving became a reasonable option, we had done many big drives when younger and had an ISUZU DMAX ute  we could use or the 9yr old GD i30 hatch we bought new. We didn’t need 4wd, intending to use sealed roads and basic camping gear if good weather but stay in motels etc if weather was cold or wet.
The Hyundai was the car we chose being very comfortable and quiet on the road, diesel manual so very economical as well.

The clutch in the i30 was never brilliant from new so a new clutch was installed in May and was a brilliant move as the shifting was as it should have been from new.

The only other modification to the standard car was a 300mm light bar on the front just to improve night vision in the rare event night driving was done.

The long and short of the story is we covered 13,500km in total, fuel consumption varied from 4.8 to as low as 4.5 litres per 100km and the quiet achiever i30 performed superbly.
The 1.6 common rail engine is a gem, the only maintenance I did was engine oil and filter in Sydney before driving back.

Camping in a hatchback car is challenging exercise as space is tight but with careful packing and use of the space we used it well.

The rear seat base was removed to give more room and that worked well. The picture shows the basic camp setup at the cliffs of the bight in South Australia
A great spot to camp if not too windy!

Any questions fire away.

Jonesyvt

• 2011 CRDi Manual Hatch

Offline Jonesyvt

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Joondalup, WA
A few more comments about the trip.

When travelling  many other travellers were amazed we would travel such a distance in a small car, these types of cars are underestimated in their abilities I reckon.
Mind you, many in big cars towing would have enjoyed our low fuel cost. The most I paid for diesel was $2.50 per litre on the Eyre highway.

Someone asked me if I would modify anything on the car, my only thought was to probably replace the rear suspension coil springs with heavier units as the load causes the vehicle to sag a bit.

Also having a second battery, probably a lithium one in the car as they are light weight would enable the 40 litre on board fridge  to be run constantly. This wasn’t a huge issue as the nights were cool and the fridge stayed coolish.
Different in summer of course.

Jonesyvt

• 2011 CRDi Manual Hatch

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I enjoyed that read, the i30's are capable of great things :goodjob2: I'll be doing something a little similar soon except I'll be ultra light tour camping on a motorcycle, just waiting for a new bike to be released to compare specs before making my choice :)

Jonesyvt, there are great lithium portable power and solar options from itechworld in Burswood :link: Lithium Battery, Solar & Power Generation Experts - iTechworld

Offline rollo30

• Idling in Neutral

• au Australia
      Melbourne

Offline Greyhound

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
I'll be doing something a little similar soon except I'll be ultra light tour camping on a motorcycle,
Are you planning towing a trailer behind the bike or just big panniers with "Oversize Load" signs front and rear :)

I just can't believe how clean @Jonesyvt's i30 appears in his photo's. No obvious dust or mud despite the km.
  • i30 PD 2020 1.0 T-GDi

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I'll be doing something a little similar soon except I'll be ultra light tour camping on a motorcycle,
Are you planning towing a trailer behind the bike or just big panniers with "Oversize Load" signs front and rear :)
Both of those options don't meet the ultra light requirement  :crazy1: a much more lighter and compact rackless soft luggage is far more suitable for my needs.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal