i30 Owners Club

Sports Exhaust - Turbo Diesel

Thumper · 200 · 65664

Offline Martin

• 2nd Gear
Quote from: "Lakes"
Martin do you compeat nationally in drag racing?
The dyno sounds good, how does it control load? and what are you useing to check AFR? also what gear do you run the i30 on when you do the testing? and have you noticed any change in the power runing in different gears?
thanks. also at any stage do you ever plan to test the i30 at the strip?
john

Lakes,
We compete at the strip maybe 3 - 4 times a year now (transport to Heathcote/Calder VIC) since our local strip AIR shut down. Annually we organise and host a national drag racing tournament - http://www.ls1dragnationals.com.au. Our VX SS twin turbo sedan is the fastest four speed auto in Australia with 9.9 @ 145mph. Our Skyline GTR is the quickest radial tyred Skyline outside of Japan with 8.8 @ 163mph :geek:

There should be no problems coaxing an i30CRDi to a 14 second pass down the strip when modified correctly :)

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Quote from: "Martin"
however for ease of testing I have used fourth gear on the i30

Umm, may I ask if the i30 you have is an auto?

Reason why I ask is, according to your dyno results shown here the i30 CRDi you are using, revving to 4180rpm for only 135km/h in 4th gear.

Where on the video I made here shows 150km/h at 4180rpm in 4th gear.

3rd gear is only 110km at 4180rpm.

How long have you had the i30?

Just wondering if there has been a change in gear ratios between the early i30 diesels and the newer i30 diesels.

Reason why I am asking is, what you have shown as dyno proof and what I have shown as video proof, do not collaborate with each other. (As you can clearly see by the video, I take it up to 4th gear.)

Not looking for an argument, just trying to clear the air here so we can all work on the same level playing field.  :P

ouri30
Thumper,

I have often wondered about the speeds and times in the videos you put up for us.  You seemed to get better times than the official Hyundai i30 times for acceleration.  I never said anything at the time, but thought to myself that they may well be whole or partly due to the error in the speedometer readings.  I know that at 100kph on the speedo, my GPS is reading 93kph.  That's a 7.5% over error.  So, 110kph on the speedo would be 102kph.

The dyno would, I assume, give accurate measurements.  Could this account for the error you are seeing?  I'll be interested to see what Martin's response to your query is.

I am going to be really interested to compare the speedo to the GPS to the speed readout I get from OBD2 port via the Scanguage II (when it arrives).

Bob

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
ouri30, you may have something there.

I know mine is 7km/h out at 100km/h (93km/h actual, 100km/h shown on speedo)

Yet I'm sure it wouldn't be 15km/h out at 120km/h.........Or could it?  :lol:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Quote from: "Martin"
Quote from: "Lakes"
Martin do you compeat nationally in drag racing?
The dyno sounds good, how does it control load? and what are you useing to check AFR? also what gear do you run the i30 on when you do the testing? and have you noticed any change in the power runing in different gears?
thanks. also at any stage do you ever plan to test the i30 at the strip?
john

Lakes,
We compete at the strip maybe 3 - 4 times a year now (transport to Heathcote/Calder VIC) since our local strip AIR shut down. Annually we organise and host a national drag racing tournament - http://www.ls1dragnationals.com.au. Our VX SS twin turbo sedan is the fastest four speed auto in Australia with 9.9 @ 145mph. Our Skyline GTR is the quickest radial tyred Skyline outside of Japan with 8.8 @ 163mph :geek:

There should be no problems coaxing an i30CRDi to a 14 second pass down the strip when modified correctly :)

Martin, your dyno sounds really good! the load control sounds good too, i know how important that is for analizing and tuning, that would be why you get acurate power readings in any gear.
my friend with the engine dyno has one of those autronic air fuel ratio analizers, he also has a different system and it has a sensor for each cylinder and they go in each pipe near the port for fast readings , but need to put holes in the pipes. mostly does race motors.
 well done on the fastest 4 speed auto in australia. i love that old track Heathcote! have you ever seen those V8 tractors they race on the dirt drag strip? some had two V8's. that track reminds me of the old Castlereagh Drags we had on outskirts of Sydney years ago. was a shame AIR closed too. do you know if they are still going to build a new track in victoria like they were talking about doing last year? I also like Willowbank, great atmosphere up there.

that would be moving if you get an i30 to run 14's! do you think the stock 5 speed will be harder to shift quick with the extra power and Tq?
Cheers John

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Quote from: "ouri30"
Thumper,

I have often wondered about the speeds and times in the videos you put up for us.  You seemed to get better times than the official Hyundai i30 times for acceleration.  I never said anything at the time, but thought to myself that they may well be whole or partly due to the error in the speedometer readings.  I know that at 100kph on the speedo, my GPS is reading 93kph.  That's a 7.5% over error.  So, 110kph on the speedo would be 102kph.

The dyno would, I assume, give accurate measurements.  Could this account for the error you are seeing?  I'll be interested to see what Martin's response to your query is.

I am going to be really interested to compare the speedo to the GPS to the speed readout I get from OBD2 port via the Scanguage II (when it arrives).

Bob

Hey Bob are you getting that scan gauge? if so i can't wait to see how it works for you and how easy or hard you find mounting it somewhere.

ouri30
Hey Bob are you getting that scan gauge? if so i can't wait to see how it works for you and how easy or hard you find mounting it somewhere.

Yep Lakes, it should arrive next week.  Have had a think about mounting.  It may be possible to mount it on top of the steering column or if that is too restrictive and or hides the intrument hub, then on top of the dash.  The velcro should adhere to the dash mat.

Can't wait to see what options will work with the i30 obd2 port.

Bob

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Only about 10 hours and I'll be dropping my little Blue Crdi in for her sports exhaust.

Sure hope I notice a difference (and she's not too noisy) or I'll be in more trouble than i30manUK gets into... Scary stuff.  

What do Dynos know anyway....

:oops:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Dazz, stop worrying m8.
what i noticed is when i first drove off the car felt quicker off the mark, then i noticed it is a lot smoother reving specially on the motorways.
yesturday i was driving at 2,400rev and it seemed to be very responsive and wanted to just go. i have got 830k since i filled the tank two weeks back and the fuel gauge is only just between half and a quarter mark this is all sydney driving too with about 100k on the motorway 300k b4 the change the rest in traffic. will fill up thursday or friday then friday after work i'll duplicate the last trip where i drove in heavy traffic for about 100k to Katoomba with lots of hills and corners like in tassie  was about 800+ k round trip with rev's up around 2,400 2,500 got 4.9L / 100k worked it out after filling to the very brim on my return. will do the same.
no complaints about noise here m8, have only had one friend that could tell, but he has a good ear and races. said it made a resognator sound when you rev it not going easy. a resognator spins the exhast, they make a sound like an old VW beatle :D
cheers
John

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Mine doesn't sound anything like a VW.......

More like a WRX with a sports exhaust.  :lol:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Guys,

It's all good, A bit louder then before but only slightly (sounds like a diesel with a sports exhaust - surprise, surprise) more like a WRX than a VW.. thankfully. :D

Will get the wife to take her for a spin and get her opinion over the next few days as she is pretty perceptive.. :(

I reset her litres per 100km reading then took her for a 20km spin with some good revving, then cruised home and she's showing 4.7 (will be interesting to drive normally and monitor her over the next few days) ;)

Will keep you posted

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Quote from: "Thumper"
Mine doesn't sound anything like a VW.......

More like a WRX with a sports exhaust.  :D  and know they had an aircooled resognator sound, the WRX is same layout but water cooled and has a hair dryer :D  i like how it works, and will be very happy if i see an economy gain.
cheers John

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Quote from: "dazzling_darryl"
Hi Guys,

It's all good, A bit louder then before but only slightly (sounds like a diesel with a sports exhaust - surprise, surprise) more like a WRX than a VW.. thankfully. :D

Will get the wife to take her for a spin and get her opinion over the next few days as she is pretty perceptive.. :(

I reset her litres per 100km reading then took her for a 20km spin with some good revving, then cruised home and she's showing 4.7 (will be interesting to drive normally and monitor her over the next few days) ;)

Will keep you posted

Sounds great Dazz especially the improvement in economy hope that lasts, look forward to the wife's view of it.
John

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Constant -3 at night to 2 degrees C during the day (To and from work)

I am sitting on 4.9lt/100km (Thought I had a bad batch of fuel since I can not get it any better, even with the cover in place)

Cold weather is hurting my economy.  :lol:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hey Thumper.. Profoundly deaf people can't listen... :?

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Opps, my bad, sorry, haven't kept up with who is who.

Sorry.  :oops:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hey Dazz and Thumper, no worries at all m8. everyone jokes about my deafness along with myself, does not worry me at all ;)
i just made up the sound my pipe makes from what my friend told me, he said it makes a resonator sound, i said that is reasonable to beleive as the rear box is straight through and there is a resonator in front, from what i know of normal resonators is they spin the exhaust. i think it would be reasonable to beleive the three cars would sound the same, what do you think?
By the way i filled up with Caltex Vortex Premium Diesel got 47 Liters in to the top has 930k all Sydney driving with 300k of that with stock system, also my motor seems to like the Vortex Fuel. will do  an economy test on my pipe this weekend.
do you know what i think would be fun? i think if we had a compitition where we get together for a weekend and see who can get the best fuel economy on the trip. would be interesting 4 sure! we could give a trophy to the winner.
we could even have a day were we could go to say Wakefield Park and see who can do the best lap time. or eastern creek. or Bakersfield.
cheers

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

On ya Lakes... :(

Health and other issues permitting I would hope to get our i30 up to the "North Island" some time in 2009..  Will track a few of you down then hopefully and hope you'll do the same if you get down south.  8-)

Offline awj2005

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Busselton
Hi,
ive been reading this for a while. ive spoken to some people about the sports muffler and they've told me they've had trouble with the hyundai's before. just want to know what type of muffler you have on it? like lukey, walker, jbl etc etc as i wouldnt mind one for my car and i need some more info so i can tell him what to get. o for me to get a cannon muffler onto my car it'll set me back $500. your one sounds way cheaper.

cheers
ash

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
hi ash, i see you have petrol, i would not do it with a petrol model m8.
only reason i did it was thumper was quoting good fuel economy gains and was cheap and easy also thought as was turbo and they don't normally like restriction at all, also the turbo makes this quiet.
if you do it with a petrol it will be a lot louder. and i most cases with petrol a good set of extractors would give better results even with stock system. the petrol don't see much gain with just a muffler change but they do make more noise. sometimes you can see an economy gain with petrol as long as you drive easy, if you drive hard won't see a gain.
$500 is a bit high. i don't know what brand i have in muffler, it's straight through with an offset. but the petrol exhast might be different i have not looked.
cheers mate

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Hi Lakes, Dazz, Thumper.

I am still considering the flow through exhaust. Now some of you have had the system fitted for a while. what is the general concensus? Do we all agree that there is a noticable fuel economy improvement? Is it worth the expence?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Eyma,

To be honest although mine looks almost Identical to Thumpers (and was fashioned on his by Midas) I have not noticed any appreciable difference in performance or economy... If you're interested you could have mine for half what it cost.. ($140) + freight from Devonport to Canberra...It does sound good  8-)

Regards,

Dazz

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
if i don't see a gain in economy this weekend i'll go back to stock pipe, i'll know quick enough if i've lost performance or not.

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Quote from: "EymaTeapot"
Hi Lakes, Dazz, Thumper.

I am still considering the flow through exhaust. Now some of you have had the system fitted for a while. what is the general concensus? Do we all agree that there is a noticable fuel economy improvement? Is it worth the expence?

Well, comparing my economy to others on here, I am getting better mileage than the rest of you.  :D

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hey Thumper were have you been?
i'll be testing for next three weeks as will be doing a few more k's out west, i have the scanGauge now can see boost psi goes up high sometimes seen as high as 30psi and as low as 14.6psi, has a lot of usefull gauges that i can pick up and use through it, my friend said its nothing new they have been around a while, he said the best ones you can adjust the tune, probably what you would like.
also Thumper my mate has a large 8 vacume motors flow bench if you want we could put your pipe on it and my pipe on it and see if there is a difference in flow.

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Hiya Lakes, I'm actually up in Sydney right now, working. (Looking after a team doing a server refresh)

I've purchased the Scanguage to see if my assumptions on boost spikes is correct, without resorting to hooking anything else inline (Mechanically) on the engine.

Besides, I'm curious to see why in an email from Hyundai Australia, they said the i30 diesel does not have a temp sensor on the engine for inlet air, thus inlet air temp has no bearing on economy. (Except to say that colder air is more dense, thus I will attain better economy when it's colder) This is after I have shown them that cold weather does in fact cause worse economy when on the highway.  :D

(These 16 hour days, every day, are killing me. *Sighs*)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hi again Thumper the scanGauge has an intake air temp so must be reading from stock factory sensor.
i'll see my mate on way home this weekend see if he has time to flow, sometimes its too much trouble mounting things to flow, i think his bench can flow a whole V8 motor intake and exhaust, i've watched him flow test heads and other thing was interesting .
if you e mail Hyundai again could you ask if LPG with diesel is ok. i like the idea as would also be better for enviroment i know a few that run LPG in diesel's that are common rail they inject LPG in with diesel helps atomize and gets a more compleat burn less smoke more economy more power only need a small LPG tank

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
also would be good if Eyma tested your pipe to see if his economy increases, last test i was going fast this test will go slower

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Well i still have the sport muff on, forgot what it ran like b4 i put it on but, it's going so well and the economy has i'mproved slightly, no one i know, except for my mate that i drag race against ANDRA, has noticed he said it is not loud just makes a resognator sound when i excellerate. other than that no one else has noticed. so i'll leave it, i'm having 15,000k service very soon.
so far not one problem. except the ScanGauge11, also o e mailed the ScanGauge supplier Woodgers@ Hornsby but they have not replied so  seems like no garantee with those.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Update, well i had 6,000k up when i fitted sport muffler on my CRDi, i just put the stock muffler back on and have 16,000k up. i drove it on the freeway and could notice it needs more throtle to get to the same speeds it got to b4 with less throtle, it is also less responcive i can notice this. it was more fun to drive with the sport system on. not a big gain but it was a gain. now i'm sure i'll notice fuel useage goes up as if you need to use the throtle more to get going, it means more fuel. just how much more i'm not sure of.
Dyno's are a good tool, but they don't always tell the true story. like last week my friend dynoed my bike so i could jet the carb to run with the new race fuel i'm useing, the fuel oxigenates, it also has a higher motor octain number, but my bike has very high compression so can use it. well we got less power than with the race gas i was useing b4, this is on the dyno. i go to the track and i do faster 1/4mile trap speed and faster 1/8 mile speed and i do a quick ET even though my sixty foot time was soft ( get a quicker sixty foot and your speeds go up too)
so dyno's are ok but you can't beat the real thing :)
just thought i'd let you know, oh and NO i'm not selling my sport Muff.
Cheers

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal