i30 Owners Club

1.6 crdi 2009 catalytic converter removal

borb12 · 11 · 4646

Offline borb12

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Northamptonshire
Hi all i was thinking is it worth while removing the catalytic converter but leave the dpf in place has any one done this? or is it best left alone, i was thinking if removed would it help turbo up spool up time and would it throw a check engine light on
  • i30 FD 1.6 crdi

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
How are you going to pass the MOT if you do that  :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
It's Illegal to remove catalytic converters due to anti pollution laws but you do have a choice of performance versions with much higher flow rates, I'm not sure whether the flow rate increase would require ECU tuning modifications to compensate though.

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
:wttc: borb12

Dont remove it....
  • 2013 Hyundai i30 GD Active 1.6 L, 6 Speed Automatic, Diesel

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
The 'ECU' on the F-35 Lightning II Joint Strike Fighter certainly needed retuning when jet nozzle dimensions were changed, to avoid jet blade overspin. The i30 comes close in performance so I'd say yes. :victory: :snigger:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline borb12

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Northamptonshire
Thanks all for comments it would pass mot as would get the original cat and remove the insides and refit, so will still pass mot as wont know it is removed, i do know is Illegal so a sports cat might be an option has anyone fitted one.
  • i30 FD 1.6 crdi

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Once the car goes in for servicing issues would appear straight away once the exhaust flow sensor starts showing excess contaminates, then you'll be up for a couple of hundred $ to fit and replace.

I've upgraded the catalytic converter, extractors and exhaust system on a Mitsubishi Mirage 1.5Ltr before as they come standard with a little pea shooter of an exhaust system which had great results but as you are talking about Turbo Diesels I couldn't really comment, I would think though that to get any real flow benefits you'd need to upgrade the standard headers to performance extractors with free flow mufflers as well and as like mentioned previously you would also need to have to ECU modified.

Is it worth it :undecided:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Thanks all for comments it would pass mot as would get the original cat and remove the insides and refit, so will still pass mot as wont know it is removed, i do know is Illegal so a sports cat might be an option has anyone fitted one.

Surely once they stick the probe in the exhaust it will show a high reading.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

Surely once they stick the probe in the exhaust it will show a high reading.

:whsaid:

If you really want better performance, get the ecu remapped. That will leave you with around 140 HP / 310 Nm

• i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal