i30 Owners Club

Turbo failures

hody166 · 19 · 7115

Offline hody166

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Hobart
Hi, allow me to start by saying that I am not a mechanic, and what I write here is a summary of what has occurred with my diesel turbo.   We purchased the car 'new' back in about Oct 2009.   At 68,000 km we had a continual 'whistle' from the motor at any and all speeds, along with a 'strange' (not sulphur) smell from the exhaust.   This noise had been going on for at least the previous 10,000 km.   Our mechanic felt that it was turbo bearings, and as the car was still under warranty, we took it back to the dealer who investigated and agreed.   I was advised by the dealer that they had replaced the turbo, this was done at 68,000 km?   Now the car has 101,000 km and the 'whistle' noise has again started, about 10,000 km ago - not so loud, but getting louder.   The car is now out of warranty.   My mechanic thinks it is the turbo again.   We took the car back to the dealer who agrees that it is again the turbo - possibly bearings.   The dealer commented on our 'impeccable' service history.   The dealer has sought support from Hyundai, but they have stated that as it is no longer under warranty, it is therefore not a warranty issue; and the best they have offered is a replacement turbo at $1,100 (special discount price) plus labour costs.

My concern is, that it seems the original underlying cause for the first turbo failing at 68,000 km was never fully investigated or fixed (fault/cause analysis) whilst under warranty, and it would seem that this has now lead to the second turbo failing just 30,000 km later.   Two turbos in 100,000 kms.   Bloody poor in my opinion.   I doubt Lowndes replaces turbos this frequently  :)

I continue to have the issue reviewed.  I am advised by my mechanic that fuel leaking in around the injectors may lead to such a failure in the turbo?   As I stated, I am not a bloody mechanic, so don't shoot me down for saying this, as I could (most likely) be misquoting my mechanic    :undecided:.   I may have it wrong?   Anyway, my story on i30 diesel turbos.   Do with the info as you wish.   Regards.
  • i30

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
 :wttc:

Where are you located?
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Well, the only thing I know about turbo's is that they do not like to be overheated and then stopped without adequate cooling. Turbo's that have been running at 100 kms + and then turned off, are capable of burning the oil in the bearing area, causing deposits of oil on the shaft. This in turn, restricts the free rotation of the turbo and will eventually cause failure. remember the gas to turn the turbo is directed straight from the combustion chamber, it is very hot.

You say you have an impeccable service history, but if your normal driving involves high speed, you need at least 1 to 2 minutes of slow running to cool the turbo, also at refuelling time as well.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi hody166

:wttc:

If you only have the whistle it might not have to be too serious. My 2008 CRDi have now 244.000 km on the odo and have had a whistle from the turbo all the time I've owned the car, since 126.000 km.
The noise haven't increased over time and even if it sounds a bit like a ambulance siren when accelerating, I'm not worried.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Did 136k in mine and sold it without issue. The wife's has 60k on the clock no issue......I have heard of the occasional one going but never twice.

Speak to the ACCC, It could be argued that the 50k you got out of the second turbo is not sufficient, as such it is not fit for purpose...
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline hody166

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Hobart
Hi all,

Thanks for replies.   This car is basically driven to and from work, around town (Hobart) and trips on the highway at normal speeds every month or so.   It has had a pretty cushy life, for a car  :)  My Triton cops far great use, no turbo issues with that - touch wood  :)

As I mentioned, I am certainly no mechanic and can only go on the advice of those paid to provide competent advice (experts), and if they say it is a turbo, then I guess it is????   I can only hope they (the experts) are wrong, but given that when they replaced the first one, the 'whistle' stopped and it has only recently re-commenced (about 10,000 km ago) I assume they are correct??    The 'whistle' is constant and rather loud - hear it at quite a distance off 100 metres.   Lets me know when the wife is coming :-)

We have called the ACCC, as I likewise believe a product should be 'fit for purpose' and these turbos don't seem to be; or the car is simply shit???   The process they have recommended is a little long, but I will play their game.   We were pretty happy with the car originally, but a few years down the road, and it is certainly showing signs of a much older car  :disapp:

Cheers guys.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 22:31:33 by hody166 »
  • i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi hody166 and welcome from another Tasmanian. Hyundai use a garret brand turbo and the failure rate is generally very low in the i30. I  assure you they are not a shit car, but can certainly understand your disappointment. It doesn't sound like you are at fault. Not quite sure what is going on, but sounds like you are taking the right steps. Good luck with it, please keep us posted. :cheers:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Could possibly be a crack or poor seal in your air intake pipe, too. Simple fix compared to turbo replacement. Worth inspecting IMO.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline crayman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie
Certainly a poor run.
The days of turbo timers etc are pretty well gone. Many owners wouldn't even know if their car had a blower or not. They get in, drive and their turbos still give amazing reliability.
Garrett units are made under licence all over the world, can't go by an old reputable brand name these days.
I'm presuming the noise is there all the time, not just under boost conditions so I'd be worried a turbine wheel is rubbing on the housing liberating bits of alloy into the induction system.
OR more likely, the exhaust wheel rubbing on jambed variable vane mechanism. (Variable vane turbos are notorious for sticking, the prime cause most Cummins owners bin them)
You need to have the noise properly diagnosed ASAP, not just some "it's the turbo" comment. A decent mechanic will know and give you an in-depth report.
If worse comes to worse, you still have other options apart from Hyundai.
Stao at Hypergear and CGC turbos to name a couple.
Turbos are pretty cheap to overhaul, whack in the post and she's all done in a few days.

• i-30

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
If it is the turbo, I would be looking at the install of the replacement as being suspect or perhaps being a symptom rather than the issue, as an alternative to the turbo itself being an issue.

But I'm not mechanically minded.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline sheppards1984

• 2nd Gear

• hu Hungary
I don't know if you mentioned it, but: Has the turbo failed totally, or is it just the whistle?

If the guys at the service have told you that it has failed, didn't they mention what was the issue?

If the bearings, or the fan's shaft have been damaged, it's usually because of lack of lubricant in the area, or overheating.

If it's an oil issue, the small passages through which the oil reaches the turbo need to be investigated. Or as others mentioned you have to give time for the turbo to cool down after driving at higher speeds/racing the car.

Anyway, isn't there a warranty for the replacement turbo itself and it's installation?
  • 2009 Hyundai I30 1.6 Crdi Comfort

Offline hody166

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Hobart
Thanks for all the comments, greatly appreciated.

The original turbo was replaced by the dealership that I purchased the car from in Hobart.  It was still under warranty - just.   There was NO 'fault finding' undertaken at the time, quite simply, the old turbo was removed and the new one replaced.

I find this incredulous, surely a reputable dealer / mechanic would look for a cause when a turbo dies (bearings apparently) at less than 68,000 km.   Glad these guys don't work on plane engines!!!

The 'whistle' is there at all times, from the minute the car is started.   It perhaps gets a little higher in pitch as speed is increased, but nothing else.   The dealership simply took the car for a drive and stated that it was the turbo (bearings) again.   No actual under the hood work this time - yet.   A quote for $200.00 to remove the rocker cover and check for leaks around the injectors???  as I have been advised by my mechanic that this can lead to 'crap' in the oil and damage to turbo bearings???

I would accept any other explanation for the noise.   Seems like an expensive fix, if it is not the turbo.   I suppose my concern is, if a new turbo is installed and there has not been a 'competent' fault analysis undertaken, to identify and fix the underlying cause, then how am I to know how long the next turbo will last for?   Till the next service - change air and oil filter, oh, and turbo please   :disapp:  :disapp:

The last turbo was replaced in Jan 2014 and the car has only travelled 30,000 km since.   This turbo is apparently now out of warranty - I am discussing with ACCC and fair trading, but they work about as well as my turbo.   I simply fail to see how this sort of distance can be viewed by any reasonable person, as 'the product performing as expected'  2 turbos in 100,000 km ????   Anyway, the saga goes on.

Cheers and thanks for all the comments.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 07:05:43 by hody166 »
  • i30

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
When did you have your second turbo changed?

I got mine finally changed under warranty after seeing 5 different dealers.

Finally I had a service manager that was willing to help. He told me there was a change in the turbo and they were waiting for the revised turbo to come in... How much truth in that I will never know.

I had mine changed around January 2014
  • 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Sorry just saw your comment... Strange.

I have always used 0w40 oil in my i30. I don't know if oil viscosity has anything to do with it.

Offline hody166

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Hobart
Hi,  Very interesting.   

My replacement turbo was installed January 2014 - like yours.

We have always used 05/30 synthetic engine oil, which is the correct oil for this vehicle.

I may have missed reading it, but what was the cause of your turbo failure?

Regards,

Don

• i30

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
I'm pretty sure it was bearings. I bought my i30 second hand at 55,000km and the noise started around 60,000km. I didn't have the turbo changed until close to 90,000km.

I'm now on 50,000km on the new turbo.

Offline i30niko

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      ADELAIDE, SA, AUSTRALIA
Hello,
My understanding is that each part comes with it's own warranty irrespective of the car's warranty. For example when they replaced your turbo with a new
one shouldn't that one have a warranty?
  • 2010 i30 diesel SX auto

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I don't know what the regulations are in Oz - but here in the UK a replacement part fitted free of charge under the vehicle warranty is guaranteed to the end of the vehicle warranty. Hence if a new turbo is fitted under warranty FOC a month before the vehicle warrant expires - it is guaranteed for only one month.

The warranty commits Hyundai to replace or repair FOC any relevant parts that fail within the warranty period - once the warranty period expires - it's down to you unless Hyundai concede that special circumstances apply.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I believe in Australia Hyundai genuine and approved parts come with a 12 month warranty...subject of course to the typical "get out of jail free" clauses...  :undecided:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal