i30 Owners Club

Start/Stop Button

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Today's BaseFook discussion included repairing broken keys, so for what it's worth, I'm providing an idea costing less than what many would pay for a replacement key.

:link: The Right Way to Install a Start Stop Button (EASYGUARD EC004) - YouTube
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 11:04:49 by The Gonz »
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
So with such a kit, I could put my key away forever.

Instead, I could 3D print a ring with my RFID in it and then it would be close enough on my hand to start the car with the push button.

ns

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Your machine is not only great fun, but the potential is unlimited.  :happydance:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
It may be a bit of a pain, but , you could get it inserted in your hand. 
Local vet may be able to help, or , a simple diy job - next time you cut hand quickly insert then swear till swear jar is full.  :mrgreen: 
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
It may be a bit of a pain, but , you could get it inserted in your hand. 
Local vet may be able to help, or , a simple diy job - next time you cut hand quickly insert then swear till swear jar is full.  :mrgreen:
Why stop there?

1. Ocular implant
2. Bluetooth implant
3. Multitool implant
4. Laser sight
5. GPS and SIM integration
4. Cool new emo fashion

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 11:21:09 by The Gonz »

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Well to be a little serious about the video...

I love the part where he says you need a duplicate chip key for the immobilizer bypass unit... and then later shows you put the other key in the barrel in the ACC position without the head and cover it.

I understand why... if you are going for keyless start you don't want to be dealing with disengaging the physical steering lock. And you don't want to give people the idea the key is in the ignition...

But you could get away with the sacrafice of just one chip-enabled key - secure the head of the key in the bypass unit and the 'shank' in the barrel.

Of course I do wonder... if you are going keyless... if you might actually remove the barrel entirely on the basis OEM immobilizer aerial is not built directly into it.  I assume the steering wheel lock is actually a piece that protudes from the barrel in lock position.   You could then likely secure the 'chip' part in/across the mouth (and do away with the bypass kit).

For extra credit - if the steering wheel lock mech is just a rod that protuded from the lock-barrel... you could probably rig up a solenoid to replace it and have it engage at engine off and disengage when you swipe the keyless start fob.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I love the part where he says you need a duplicate chip key for the immobilizer bypass unit... and then later shows you put the other key in the barrel in the ACC position without the head and cover it.
Yes, that part made me squirm, looking like pure butchery. :head_knock:
For extra credit - if the steering wheel lock mech is just a rod that protuded from the lock-barrel... you could probably rig up a solenoid to replace it and have it engage at engine off and disengage when you swipe the keyless start fob.
And that would be the difference between butchery and surgery. :goodjob:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal