i30 Owners Club

adding switches to the car to control lights and other things

Offline dayvurd

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom

So i have made use of the sunglasses tray i never use and decided to add some switches. I wanted to add a kill switch and also use it for main beam and fog lights. I have stumbled across the problem that i cant just piggieback off the light/indicator stalk. which is kind of annoying. Anyone have any ideas on how i can do this? Really would love a little james bond feel to it to be able to flip open the compartment and flick a switch for the headlights.

:link: pics
  • 2009 I30 Comfort, 1.4L Petrol, 109BHP FD Red

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Not a good idea to bring all those amps of power up there  for any of those purposes.

Ejector seat control maybe, but even then use a relay.

Offline dayvurd

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
nah its all good. its all insulated and protected. Annoyingly i found the correct plug in the fuse that stops the fuel pump from priming but for some reason i cant identify the right wire with my multimeter. None are live when i turn the key, yet when i plug it in the fuel pump primes. its pretty frustrating.
  • 2009 I30 Comfort, 1.4L Petrol, 109BHP FD Red

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
The car already has appropriate controls in logical places.
If you want to control add-ons from there you can install switches to turn on custom DRLs or spotlights (through relays in the engine bay) or a bank of sound effects to simulate missile launches and laser beams.
ns
ns
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline galixia

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
For my lightbar I left the relay etc in the engine bay and tapped into the highbeam wire for activation behind the actual headlight. Then ran the wire for my switch into the cabin. I just leave it switched on because it comes on with the high beams and switches off automatically with them too. The switch sits beside the kick panel on the driver's side
  • 2018 I30 Active

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal