rear view camera on a GD-02 radio

budvv · 6 · 3758

Offline budvv

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Bentley, WA
Hi guys
My first post.
I am trying to get a rear view camera to work on my GD-02 radio.
(I replaced the original GD-01)
I have connected the camera to pins A14, A15 and trigger A9.
I can activate the trigger and I get the blue screen with the coloured distance bars, but no video signal.
Any ideas??
On an aside there is a wire already connected to A9, that has 12v on it all the time. It goes off when I switch the lights on. I have no idea what it was used for as the GD-01 pin outs say it was not connected.

thanks  :wacko: :head  :crazy1:
  • i30 CRDI 2010

Offline budvv

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Bentley, WA
 :P OK all good now!!
Problem turned out to be a faulty power cable to the camera itself.
For future reference installing a rear view camera wasn't that difficult.
Issues I ran into (apart from the faulty cable).......If you want to use the backing light as the voltage source for the camera (stands to reason) then you have to access the wiring in the rear hatch, as that is where the back up lamp is. A bit fiddly, but not hard.
If upgrading from a GD-1 radio, the inputs for the camera are in the 'A' plug......A14 is ground, A15 is Video input, and A9 is the 'reverse input'. A9 on mine had a wire to it that had 12volts on it, which went off when the lights were on. I just disconnected this wire and soldered the 'reverse' wire into it. The aftermarket camera came with a wire attached for this purpose.
I would have liked to put the hyundai camera into the back door, but $450 dollars compared to $20, was a no brainer
  • i30 CRDI 2010

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
:welcum: Thanks for the update! Well done :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
 :welly2:

So can the unit on my 2012 GD1 be upgraded to the latest one that has Apple CarPlay?
  • Tertius the i30

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane

If upgrading from a GD-1 radio, the inputs for the camera are in the 'A' plug......A14 is ground, A15 is Video input, and A9 is the 'reverse input'. A9 on mine had a wire to it that had 12volts on it, which went off when the lights were on. I just disconnected this wire and soldered the 'reverse' wire into it. The aftermarket camera came with a wire attached for this purpose.
I would have liked to put the hyundai camera into the back door, but $450 dollars compared to $20, was a no brainer

:welcumwagon:

First of all - if triggering the GD-02 into reverse mode by a wire from the aftermarket camera designated for such is working... great.  And I totally agree on the cost saving aspect of an aftermarket ones (due to the feature being a few years old - I suspect some aftermarket one will have superior sensor and/or optics while still being much cheaper).   But I am totally curious and/or puzzled over A9 having 12V - not questioning you or your observations by the way.   Can I ask which lights?

As you state in O/P you started with a GD-01, where A9 is marked Not Connected (so 12v wouldn't harm it - in theory), and upgraded to GD-02... which AFAIK goes into 'reverse mode' when it senses 12V on A9 (I just confirmed on a spare GD-02 I have - testing on a bench) and that comes from a sensor on/in the gearbox.   So, in theory at least, with 12V on A9 your GD-02 should have always been in reverse mode... at least until you added the aftermarket reverse camera and re-wired the pin to be fed from the camera.   I am assuming changing to the GD-02 was done previously and now you were just adding the camera.   You can see why it has me curious - possibly the pin is ignored if 12V is present when the car is turned on... that would explain it not causing issues.

Also puzzled/curious (not that it is important) as to what the wire was connected to because (as above) the pin is N/C on the GD-01 head-unit - if not the reverse sensor (which having 12V on that goes off when lights are on indicates it isn't).   Of course being marked as N/C for GD-01, in the context of GD-01, it wouldn't/shouldn't matter what was there because N/C should be an indication the pin connects to nothing internally.

Regards to the OEM camera... as far as I recall (could be totally making it up though) the OEM camera is powered from the GD-02 (pins A5 & A6) - so GD-02 senses reverse gear, goes into reverse display mode and turns power on to camera (which signals the mechanism that opens the cover and deploys the camera to operate).   So with the OEM camera module, IIRC, there isn't any sensing from the actual reverse light.

Of course powering the aftermarket from the reverse lights makes a lot of sense as it cuts down on the number of extra-wires needing to be run.  Of course if the reverse sense wire from the gearbox was available for the GD-02 then that would of eliminated another wire - GD-02 could have sensed (and gone into reverse mode) from it, while camera turns on from reverse light... would only have needed the video signal and it's ground wires.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline budvv

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Bentley, WA
G'day 'Ibrokeit'
Sorry for my tardy reply
First, I bought the GD-02 specifically to have a rear view camera that came up on the centre console screen and not have some additional screen just for that purpose sitting on my dash somewhere.
I got the GD-02 for $30 brand new. Someone had upgraded their new i30 with a sat nav etc at the time of purchase, and off loaded the GD-02.
Like you I have no idea why A9 with a voltage on it was wired in as such (yellow/green wire). It certainly isn't the reverse trigger wire that is needed for the GD-02. I was so happy to have found my faulty cable that I didn't pursue the A9 wire, or why the voltage went off when the headlights were switched on. You are correct in saying if I left A9 connected the screen would be in back up mode all the time.
I originally hoped that the wiring loom had all the extra wires for the camera, but that is not the case (on my 2012 model anyway). There are no wires in the loom at all for the rear view set up that is available in the more up market models. So even if I wanted to throw away $450 dollars on the OEM camera I would have had to run all the wires back to the GD-02.
One other thing, the GD-02 has those inbuilt coloured guide bars for reversing, so has my aftermarket camera. therefore I have a double set on the screen when reversing. Not a major issue though.
Being my aftermarket camera cable came with the trigger wire, it saved me hunting around to find the reverse signal behind the dash.
  • i30 CRDI 2010

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal