i30 Owners Club

did we resolve whether or not i30s in Australia have a particulate filter?

Shirt · 12 · 7551

Offline Shirt

• 1st Gear
I just picked up my new diesel manual i30 in Australia and it does NOT have one and has a sticker on the engine telling me that. did I read somewhere on this site that auto diesels have one but not manuals?

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Hi Shirt, well i think they don't have a DPF as the tail pipe on mine has soot in it, cars with DPF have a cleaner tail pipe. BUT i can see them useing DPF maybe in the new 2010 model year, it will loose KW & TQ and will possibly use more fuel or might not.
the new Ford Festiva 1.6 common rail Turbo Diesel due for release december has a DPF but makes less KW & TQ than the i30 CRDi but combined fuel useage is supposed to be 3.7L/100k and lower imission but they are a smaller car, also they are lighter and do not come with a spare but just a puncture repair kit ( can you imagine. ) they also did a lot of work in a wind tunnel on them to cut wind resistance and they have much taller gearing than the i30 like 3.09 to 1 which is tall for a small motor they also lowered them to cut wind resistance.

ouri30
According to my Hyundai dealer, the only Hyundai in Australia with a PDF is the Santa Fe CRDi 2.2.  Haven't really noticed that the Santa Fe has a cleaner exaust than the i30.  We have one of each.  Can't5 see how a PDF would change KW or nms or fuel economy.  Hyundai give the same figures for the vehicles supplied to UK, where i30s have the PDF and Australia, where i30s don't have a PDF.

Bob

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
According to my Hyundai dealer, the only Hyundai in Australia with a PDF is the Santa Fe CRDi 2.2.  Haven't really noticed that the Santa Fe has a cleaner exaust than the i30.  We have one of each.  Can't5 see how a PDF would change KW or nms or fuel economy.  Hyundai give the same figures for the vehicles supplied to UK, where i30s have the PDF and Australia, where i30s don't have a PDF.

Bob
i had my 7.500 service today on my hatch [ petrol version] and after paying i asked about the pdf on a crdi and i was told the same as above. :razz:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
there are probably different types of DPF, as a guy i work with has a Euro car with DPF and can see his tailpipe is clean mine sooty. can you see in your tail pipe Bob? i put my finger in it to check. they say the catalistic converter robs power on petrol, but the converter the CRDi i30 use looks different to the petrol inside. i think the Festiva probably use a different size Turbo as well as the DPF to make less KW TQ same size diesel but the 3.7/100k looks impressive.
we will just wait and see but my money is 2010 late and the CRDi i30 will get DPF as imission laws will get harder like Euro then see if they still rate at 4.7/100k and still make same KW & TQ

ouri30
Lakes,

I base my assumptions about kw and nm on the Hyundai European and Australian vehicles being the same.  Therefore I conclude there is no reduction when a PDF is fitted.  We have already established that Euro cars have the PDF and the Oz ones don't.

I've just been out and wiped my index fingers in the exaust of the Santa Fe and the i30 and the difference is remarkable.  The bloody PDF in the Santa Fe REALLY works.   See the pic I have attached (sorry they were only taken with my phone, so the quality is a bit poor).  The Santa Fe finger has a browny dirty appearance and the amount of deposit wiped off was thinner.  The i30 is jet black and is a thick rich sooty deposit.

Believe it or not!

Bob

[deleted]

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
the dealer that told me the i30 crdi in oz hasn't got that filter mentioned that the santa fe has one,but if it gets damaged your up for $4,500 to $5,000 :eek:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

ouri30
the dealer that told me the i30 crdi in oz hasn't got that filter mentioned that the santa fe has one,but if it gets damaged your up for $4,500 to $5,000 :eek:

Ya, I've heard the same thing.  If you have one (like all Santa Fe's have), then use the correct oil or your in deep trouble and up for an expensive repair bill.

Bob

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Bob yes the DPF works well, different manufacturers use different DPF i read the Hy set up is made by HY and self cleans somehow.
the reason i think the DPF would loose some power over non DPF is, that any restriction with exhast from the Turbo will cause some power loss, i would just expect the DPF would need to be restrictive to filter out the soot that well. you need to use the smokeless type synthetic oil and i don't think i would use a tunning box.
the power & Torque manufactures quote is normally that they dyno one motor on an engine dyno they would normally put the exhast on but they also have to route the exhast out of the sound proof dyno room . they get the power numbers then they just set up the rest with same tune settings. some power is lost through the drive train but it's not important to us, as when we test drive if we are happy with how it goes that's the important thing.
Regards

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
They will only add the DPF to the U2 variants, which compensate with extra power from the higher-pressure common rail system.

I think it still keeps the CPF even when they fit the DPF.

I believe I have read somewhere (can't remember source, getting old!) that unlike fords etc the i30 DPF won't need to do the periodic heat-up regenerate cycle.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
The auto version of the Sonata (2.0 CRDi) has a DOC & DPF.

I also believe the Grandeur has a DOC & DPF as well, since it is an auto.

Mine, the inside of the pipe is clean when wiped with a finger. Not one puff of black out the back, no matter how much the wife trys!  :lol:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal