i30 Owners Club

Noise on Engine Start Up

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

• 1.4 Comfort in Midlands UK
Hi

I have an i30 1.4 Comfort with 2400 miles on the clock and it has just developed a fault in the last day or two. When I turn the engine over first thing in the morning, I get a grinding sound for a second or two after it has fired up and believe in my mind it is the Starter Motor not disengaging properly.  I did consider the Starter Motor having a faulty Solenoid, but it only does it when the engine is cold, so I wondered whether it may just be a bit lazy and need taking off and the shaft cleaning up with something.

Also, I live in the West Midland (UK) and will probably end up taking the car back to where I bought it from, but if any member specifically recommends a Hyundai garage in the West Midlands that they use and are happy with, I would also consider using them as well.

Any feedback appreciated.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
don't mess with it,its the dealers job to fix it. :razz: remember the 5 year warranty.  :mrgreen:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi SS

Hope the dealer gets it sorted for you quickly and painlessly...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Have you noticed it since the the bad/cold weather of last/this week?

Leave it a few days until it warms up and listen to see if the noise has gone.

Check oil as due to the cold weather it may not be circulating as it should at start up.

For peace of mind ring the dealer and ask their opinion.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

Have you noticed it since the the bad/cold weather of last/this week?

It only started playing up yesterday and it was milder than it had been.  Oil is also fine.

Thanks to those who have replied so far.

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
Which dealer did you purchase the car from  :question:

Offline L30N

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Wallsend, North Tyneside, UK

• Wallsend, UK
As the others say, get it checked out. And don't let them shrug it off as 'one of those things' as happened to me. (I uploaded a sound clip on the 'grinding sound' thread)

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

As the others say, get it checked out. And don't let them shrug it off as 'one of those things' as happened to me. (I uploaded a sound clip on the 'grinding sound' thread)

Trouble is, as with the problem you had, garages don’t seem interested in fixing things until it breaks or smacks them in the face and by that time the car could have suffered all sorts of extra damage and costing Hyundai a lot more to repair as well, but they don’t seem interested in trying to prevent this.

My problem is intermittent, as it was ok this morning and all the garages I phoned will need to hear the problem for themselves before considering repairs, but as with your car they did hear the problem and still did not know what it was or what to do with it :mad:.  
I’m sure with the garages stance on this that my car won’t get sorted until the problem becomes more frequent or breaks and assuming it is the Starter Motor, by that time it may also cause damage to the flywheel and will end up probably being at least five times more costly to repair.

The idea of recording the noise is a great one, so I will dig out my camcorder and get the battery charged up.  If I get a recording of it I can email it to the dealership, if only for them to tell me they still don’t know what the problem is  :rolleyes:.

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

My problem is intermittent, as it was ok this morning and all the garages I phoned will need to hear the problem for themselves before considering repairs,

I had and still have a problem with a slight clutch judder first thing when damp, posted elsewhere on this site, and as it was intermittent I left my car at the dealers overnight.

Went back next day and lo and behold it actually did it with the chief mechanic sat in the car.  

However, they have not taken it in to be looked at as they are unsure what it actually is and Hy have not issued any recall/updates/TSB.

They have an idea but are reluctant to replaced odd bits such as clutch plate, release bearing etc unless they can get a positive diagnosis.

Anyway I'm not too bothered as yet as I still have 3 years warranty left but the warranty on the clutch as expired, 2 years. I'm assured as the fault had been logged, prior to the 2 years, then I will be covered.

Watch this space.

The judder has not happened for while as we've had no damp weather.  Lets see what the next few week brings.

Go back and keep pestering them until you are happy!!

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

Hi eye30

I have heard a lot of cars having your problem and a lot seem to point to condensation on the clutch friction plate and goes away after a few gear changes and some I have heard try dipping the clutch a few times with the engine running to try and dry it off, before pulling away.  I have also heard that because car manufacturers don’t now use asbestos on the friction plate, the condensation is more likely to remain on its surface, don’t know how true this is, but it does seem a possible theory?  
I also see the i10 has been having some clutch problems, link below:

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/index.php?showtopic=36431&st=0

What you have said is another example of how difficult it can be to get these types of problems fixed.  The dealership seems to be too scared to make a decision on a repair in case they get it wrong and have to foot the bill, I suppose if they don’t get it right, Hyundai may refuse to pay out anymore money and tell them it is there fault for an incorrect diagnosis.  Shows where we stand, if they are too frightened to commit themselves  :mad:.

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

seem to point to condensation on the clutch friction plate and goes away after a few gear changes  

Exactly what I get and said so to the dealer.

Also, I'd seen that posting on the site.

Although the chap didn't say so in words the expression on his face, to me anyway, seemed to confirm this theory, especially as it only occurs overnight and only when damp, not wet ie. rain, but just damp.

Cheers for that as I'll mention it next time it happens and see if they will take any corrective action.

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

Firstly, thanks to all that replied on this thread and just a quick update for those who are interested.

The problem has now seemed to have rectified itself, I'm not normally optimistic enough to think that things fix themselves, but I do believe that the Starter Motor shaft had got some debris/dust on it, maybe from the clutch friction plate, but whatever it was has now seemed to have cleared itself :D

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Firstly, thanks to all that replied on this thread and just a quick update for those who are interested.

The problem has now seemed to have rectified itself, I'm not normally optimistic enough to think that things fix themselves, but I do believe that the Starter Motor shaft had got some debris/dust on it, maybe from the clutch friction plate, but whatever it was has now seemed to have cleared itself :D

Just keep an eye on it and if it appears again go straight to the dealers, if you can, so they can see/feel it happening

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi SS These intermittent problems remind me of windows 7... :lol:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

Hi SS These intermittent problems remind me of windows 7... :lol:

Yeah, mine with a start up problem and yours with a shutting down one.

Shame Windows 7 don’t come with a 5 year warranty :lol:

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

Just keep an eye on it and if it appears again go straight to the dealers, if you can, so they can see/feel it happening

Thanks eye30, I'll keep a check on it.

Hope you get your clutch sorted.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal