i30 Owners Club

High Beam Globes

Dogga · 14 · 4517

Offline Dogga

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Australia

• I'm Free..........
Has anyone changed there High Beam Globes? I know what globes I am going to replace the OME with, but went to pull the old ones out and found i could not pull off the 12v plug that goes onto the globes. Is there a trick to it?? or do I need to have a larger breakfast!!!

Dogga(Darren)
  • 2011 SLX CRDi Sleek Silver

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
With respect, this is the page you need!

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?action=search

There are LOADS of threads about globes and bulbs!

You do need to push in the clips to pull the cables off.

Offline Dogga

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Australia

• I'm Free..........
Thanks Lorian,

The car is nearly due for its 1000km service so i was thinking of giving the globes to the tech to install, but I should really do it myself so I know how to do it. I have never in 25+years of driving/racing cars had trouble changing a light bulb lol.

Dogga(Darren)

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Here's a started but there are some other olde threads that have even more info in them

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,4654.0.html

Offline Dogga

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Australia

• I'm Free..........
thank you, I will give another more detailed crack tommorow after my son's footy

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Has anyone changed there High Beam Globes? I know what globes I am going to replace the OME with, but went to pull the old ones out and found i could not pull off the 12v plug that goes onto the globes. Is there a trick to it?? or do I need to have a larger breakfast!!!

Dogga(Darren)

Hi Darren,

As Lorian says there are sort of lugs in the side of the 12V plug that connects to the back of the globe you have to squeeze these lugs in as you pull then it comes off easily... :D
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
High Beam

High Beam out showing side

Dip - there is a tab to press on that plag, but not shown in the pic

Pictures from another thread, not mine.

Offline Dogga

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Australia

• I'm Free..........
Awesome pics Myowni30, thank you very much and thank you to everyone else's help.....Job done now all i need to do is wait until its dark(scary ay)

Dogga(Darren)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
thanx for the pics,i havnt seen those in the 14 months ive been a member.   :mrgreen:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Dogga

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Australia

• I'm Free..........
OK testing is in,

I ended up putting in the Philips Power2night +50 in and have now tested them while driving a regularly driven dark road  and found them to be much better than the OME. My problem with the old ones was not enough distance, now with the new ones I have increased this by around 15m+, with a little more spread and slightly whiter.

I being someone that likes to light up the road like daylight would probably try the Philips X-Treme Power +80 next I may upgrade the H7 (low beam) to this all so. I am going to play around with the aim next just to try and get a little more spread.

Anyway i will give the Philips Power2night the thumbs up. If you are located in OZ the Autobarn chain had this cool philips light box display with H1 globes in it. You just pushed the button to see the colour and intensity of the globes for comparison, very cool.

Dogga(Darren)

Offline 001steve

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Good luck with the phillips bulbs,
I used them in my xr6turbo, Go through a set of them every 3-4months,
Reason being they are only suited to lower voltages then 12-13volts, falcon power at the end of the harness (bulb holder)
Is 14.4 volts
dont get me wrong they are bloddy great, Used aprox 10 sets now,,,
But i got so fed up getting warranty replacements every second time that i rang Invision sales (phillips wholesalers in aus)
And asked them to check it out,
They tested and found that the falcons and newer model cars have better cableing and power delivery to deliver more power to the headlight harness then the expected 12volts,
Hence newer cars seem to eat these bulbs up,
But as we both have said now said they are they best bulb ive tested and eventully stayed with,
Having said that my last set has lasted jsut over 6 atm, on the plus 50's
They may of improved hopefully....
  • 2010 fd i30 crdi 5 Spd Man.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

My philips +80 still going fine after 6 months.

I don't think philips expect any car to be only driving them at 12v.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
From what I have been told and read.. It is best with these +50's and +80's not to have the headlight switch at the ON position when starting the car as that would be the most likely time to get a Voltage spike.

It might sound strange to say that but as I drive nearly always with my lights on park so my dash is illuminated I have on occasion left my lights on full when I have got home and of course they have come back on the next morning when I head off..

For the record my first +80's only lasted 4 to 6 weeks I think before both of them blew (replaced FOC) and the second set lasted roughly 1 year at a guess... I am now using Narva +50 globes I got cheap....
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Dogga

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Australia

• I'm Free..........
Thanks for the feed back all....I will keep you all post as to their life etc...

Dogga(Darren)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal