i30 Owners Club

GPS Mod.

Guest · 39 · 10911

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
I never got to grips with my portable sat-nav and where I wanted it in the i30, it invariably ended up suctioned to the windscreen leaving the circular marks and I was never that keen on the cable trailing from the power outlet over the dash/vents/switches.

In the end I routed the power cord under the centre console, under the dash towards the drivers door and through the fuse-box door, but the GPS was still stuck to the windscreen.

The ix20 fuse box does not have a door so the "solution" for the i30 does not work, but there is a nice wee cubby where the power outlet and USB port is, again though I was struggling to get the unit to sit properly and stay there when you went round corners etc.

:idea: :idea: :idea: And then the light bulb came on, I have cut a piece of glass to the same size as the floor of the cubby and installed the GPS holder onto that, the GPS now sits just behind the gear-lever and right beside the power outlet with the cable neatly  :whistler:  tucked behind it and the USB stick still in the port.  The unit sticks out a bit further than I would like, but I would need to try and source a mount with a smaller arm to fix that.
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Can you still see the GPS screen ok, all the way down there, or do you rely on the vocal directions?

Post a pic (there's a guide to using Photobucket somewhere ;))
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
I usually rely on vocal directions.

The screen however is not as low down in that central cubby as it was in the i30, not much different to the glance for changing heating/aircon controls really, the gearstick in the ix20 is level with my hand on the armrest of the drivers seat and the GPS is behind that.

I haven't driven with it yet, so may have to alter my thinking, the point I was getting at was that I am sure we have all hoped that the suction mounts would grab a smooth piece of plastic instead of the windscreen and if you can find a flat area but your mount won't grab, that a piece of glass or even a piece of ceramic tile might do the job.

I'll get me camerara :winker: :winker:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I have mounted my sat-nav on the dashboard in what I consider to be the ideal position. It does not cut off any of the windscreen and can be seen at a glance without having to take your eyes completely off the road ahead. Because the i30 dash is curved – I first had to make a suitable mount.  This is a repeat of the post I made a few months ago – but brought up to date with photos of my i30.

Ingredients

A plastic tube about 6 cm inside diameter (cut from plastic bottle)
A tin of Plastic Padding (Epoxy body filler)
Some polythene (heavy gauge poly bag)
Adhesive tape
Blue tack
The Garmin polished metal disc
Paint to match the dashboard
Epoxy glue
Patience and dexterity

After deciding the exact position you require to mount the sat-nav – carefully cut one end of the plastic tube to the exact profile of the dashboard. This is to make a mould in which you will pour plastic padding.

Now cut the tube as close as possible to the curved end – this will set the thickness of the adaptor

Attach the polythene to the dashboard (using sticky tape) to cover the area where the adaptor is to be mounted. Stretch the polythene really tight so that it will not move. Fold up and double back the ends of the sticky tape so that it can be removed very quickly. You will see why in a minute as you read on.

Place the plastic tubular mould in its required location and hold it firmly in place with blue tack round its full external circumference.

Mix the required amount of plastic padding and fill the mould to the top – make sure there are no air pockets and that you get the top surface as level as possible. The material will start to cure and will gradually get warm. Keep testing the top surface and before it gets too hot, yet firm, quickly release the polythene and remove the adaptor from the dashboard before it gets too hot and damages the dashboard surface.

Leave to fully cure for an hour or so and remove the plastic tubular mould.

Now fettle any loose bits from the bottom edges where the plastic padding has found its way under the mould – before placing a sheet of emery on a flat surface and “sanding” the top surface of the adaptor to get it dead flat.

Paint the outside diameter with your paint – stipple it on - to try and replicate the surface of the dashboard. Leave to dry overnight.

Using epoxy glue – attach the Garmin polished metal disc, Attach the Garmin adhesive pad to the bottom surface and mount on your dashboard.

The lead you can see running up to the windscreen is the aerial for the traffic receiver.

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
that's a great idea Alan.  :goodjob: :mrgreen: :goodjob:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Here is where mine sits now, perhaps a bit low, but nice and tidy :razz: :razz:

You can see what I mean about the armrest being level with the gearstick, so the cubby is not as low down as in the i30.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I am surprised that you are able to get a decent satellite connection with the unit buried so far from the windows.

I quite like your lateral thinking - but my own view is that your sat nav is too far away from your normal driving vision to be really safe.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Yep, 8 satellites picked up within a couple of minutes :razz: :razz:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks guys a photo or two makes all the difference .. Happy with mine stuck to the screen on the far R/H side but must do something better with the wiring... :whistler:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
I've still got to buy a sat nav,i still use a street directory.   :-[:whistler: :lol:

Offline jabber

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Blacktown, NSW
bumpkin you are an inspiration to me!  :D

i too had issues with my gps leaving circular marks on the windshield.  but for me the main problem was that my gps has a 7" screen. couldn't put it in the middle as i have my reverse camera monitor hidden inside the cubbyhole in the middle of the dash. and even if i put the gps in the far right hand side it still blocks a corner of my view.  after seeing bumpkin's pics  :idea: i decided to bring the gps down.

this was before when i had the gps above the dashboard ...

this is now ...

it looks like it blocks a bit of the aircon controls but i still have access to the dials & can even turn them comfortably  :D  i didn't lose the small compartment above the ashtray & i can still open the ashtray (which i use for coins).

thanks for the idea bumpkin!

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I've still got to buy a sat nav,i still use a street directory.   :-[:whistler: :lol:

Here you go, Steve...you can get one of these for not much more than the cost of a Melways....  :p

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350462834246&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Here you go, Steve...you can get one of these for not much more than the cost of a Melways....  :p

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350462834246&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Looks like excellent value  :goodjob: (Great feature for the price  :scared:)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hey Jabber .. you've got the gear there  :goodjob:

Offline jabber

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Blacktown, NSW
Hey Jabber .. you've got the gear there  :goodjob:

i measured how far out the gps should be so i'm not hitting it with my hand when i change gears. i'm quite happy where its sitting right now  :D

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Looks like excellent value  :goodjob: (Great feature for the price  :scared:)

I bought one myself so I'll let you know what I think of it.... :goodjob:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

We paid 3 times as much as that for our Garmin  :confused:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Besides having a lot of features for the price, one of the attractions was the free, lifetime map updates....As you've probably found out by now, Garmin map updates are bloody expensive!  :scared:

Offline jabber

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Blacktown, NSW
hey rusty i noticed that the gps you got from ebay can also be used as a reverse camera monitor  :goodjob:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Yes, a handy feature!  :goodjob:

I did wonder whether I should've paid the extra $30 and got the camera too but wasn't that keen on running the wiring through to the dash.

If this GPS ends up being a good thing, maybe I'll get a wireless camera down the track?  :undecided:

Offline druggist

• 3rd Gear
  • magunuthVE

• pn Pitcairn
      Usa

• Hyundai i30 SX CRDi 1.6 manual CW 2010 MY11
Hi rustynutz,

I am also looking at replacing an older GPS.
Please let us know:
-Are directions given in Aussie accent?
-How quick is it at recalculating trips after a wrong turn?
-Does the windscreen attachment have a long enough arm to cope with the i30 sloping windscreen? Long enough to sit low on the dash rather than 1/3 way up the windscreen.

Thanks
Druggist

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Hi rustynutz,

I am also looking at replacing an older GPS.
Please let us know:
-Are directions given in Aussie accent?
-How quick is it at recalculating trips after a wrong turn?
-Does the windscreen attachment have a long enough arm to cope with the i30 sloping windscreen? Long enough to sit low on the dash rather than 1/3 way up the windscreen.

Thanks
Druggist

I'll do that....  :goodjob:
It's been posted so hopefully I'll receive it in the next couple of days.... :)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
I've put the add in my favorites Russ,I'm also using you as the test pilot.  :scared: :rofl: at $100,it sounds to good to let slip away.  :mrgreen:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Oh, the pressure is on me now.... :sweating:  :lol:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
sue told me to buy one,that's a great price for all of those functions.  :goodjob: i told her you've bought one and I'll wait to see what you think of it.  :whistler: :mrgreen:

Offline jabber

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Blacktown, NSW

I did wonder whether I should've paid the extra $30 and got the camera too but wasn't that keen on running the wiring through to the dash.

If this GPS ends up being a good thing, maybe I'll get a wireless camera down the track?  :undecided:

i suggest not to go for a wireless camera.  i had one with my gps & the video signal was not very good ... a fair bit of static.  i had to re-install a hard wired camera which gives a clearer signal.  it's not that difficult running the wires from the back of the car to the dash. a bit time consuming but it's possible.  if you go thru the search engine of this forum someone has done it (with pics posted as well).  the only issue i can see with your gps unit Rusty is that the AV in is 2.5mm whereas video cables that come with cameras are RCA.  is your car a hatch or a CW? i've offered a freebie in the For Sale / Wanted section ...  :winker:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

the only issue i can see with your gps unit Rusty is that the AV in is 2.5mm whereas video cables that come with cameras are RCA.  is your car a hatch or a CW? i've offered a freebie in the For Sale / Wanted section ...  :winker:

Would be fairly easy to change that plug with a soldering iron and a 2.5 mm plug from Jaycar or Leading edge  :winker:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

i suggest not to go for a wireless camera.  i had one with my gps & the video signal was not very good ... a fair bit of static.  i had to re-install a hard wired camera which gives a clearer signal.  it's not that difficult running the wires from the back of the car to the dash. a bit time consuming but it's possible.  if you go thru the search engine of this forum someone has done it (with pics posted as well).  the only issue i can see with your gps unit Rusty is that the AV in is 2.5mm whereas video cables that come with cameras are RCA.  is your car a hatch or a CW? i've offered a freebie in the For Sale / Wanted section ...  :winker:

Thanks for the heads up, Jabber!
Like Daz mentioned, I guess I can always swap the plug.....

As for your "freebie" I had better go check it out!

Cheers  :)
Ps...I have a hatch...

Offline druggist

• 3rd Gear
  • magunuthVE

• pn Pitcairn
      Usa

• Hyundai i30 SX CRDi 1.6 manual CW 2010 MY11
Sent the eBay seller some questions & received the following information.
What mapping software do you use? . IGO 8
How do I update maps indefinitely? We will email you the download link when we get the latest map.
Is it possible to buy a wireless reversing camera with 5" GPS? Yes. please buy online and email me to let me know you want a wireless reverse camera.( extra charge would be $10)
Please transfer via paypal for the extra charge

I think IGO is used by Hyundai, VW & Toyota OE GPS from what I can see on their website.

Anyone using a GPS with IGO?

Offline jabber

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Blacktown, NSW
i've got iGo on my gps (which i got from ebay) & works very. haven't had any issues since i got it about 2 months ago. i was also supplied maps for NZ, North America (USA & Canada) & Europe  :goodjob:

the gps also came with a wireless reverse camera but i wouldn't promote it (wireless). the video signal's got too much static. go for wired camera. running the cable from back to the dash is not that difficult, just time consuming  :sweating:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal