i30 Owners Club

i30 aerial/radio

Offline dirtyi30

• 1st Gear
Help, the aerial on our new i30 is weak, I find that we lose FM stations much closer to town then in my old Holden (broken aerial) and am station is always crackly no matter where I am.  Is this typical, or do I have a faulty aerial?

Appreciate any help.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
our radios are spot on. I'm not sure why yours is crackling but its possible the aerial is faulty or its loose.
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Sounds like a fault, have you checked the aerial is not loose in it's connection??
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Not many of us use our radios (mainly Cd and MP3 but haven't noticed any probs...) If not far from the dealer I'd get thenm to take a look (back of the radio is a bit hard to get at..)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I would agree to let the head honchos have a ganders....

... (back of the radio is a bit hard to get at..)

Not that hard if you have the confidence to extract the cage from the dash (I've done it three times now... seems like you might break it but it's actually tougher than a very tough thing)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Not many of us use our radios (mainly Cd and MP3 but haven't noticed any probs...) If not far from the dealer I'd get thenm to take a look (back of the radio is a bit hard to get at..)

I use my radio more than anything else and think it is a good unit.
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline joker_mkd

• 2nd Gear

• mk Macedonia
      Skopje
My FM reception is also very weak... I have a short aerial with spiral coil of wire on it. Outside of city I don't have any reception at all.

I noticed that on other i30 models which I see driving around town, there are longer aerials (I guess they changed the stock one for longer model). Can anyone tell me if that will help?

Thank you...

Offline Duckman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I recently got into AM radio (and I am 22!), and I have noticed that AM signals are fairly bad with the i30 in comparison with older radios. Maybe Hyundai assumed that with all the extra features, like the iPod connectivity, they thought we'd never listen to AM again!

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
the radio I got with the car is A ok.

The fm is clear and the am is acceptable.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Nutter1967
When I first got my i30CW, the AM reception was as good as I had ever heard from a car radio.  Not too long after picking it up, I got rear ended and the car was sent to the panel beater for repair, and soon after getting the car back from being fixed, the AM radio stopped working - only lots of static coming through the speakers.  I also started having intermittant problems with the CD player - it would play the CD, but no audio would come out until you stopped the car, switched the ignition off and then restarted the car.  The USB would also act up with a message of "USB Reading" staying on the display.  Switching the ignition off would solve that problem for a while.  Took the car back to the dealer who replaced the head unit.  This fixed the CD and USB faults, but still had no AM radio.  Told the dealer and then had to wait a couple of weeks for new aerial cables to come in.  They were fitted, but still no radio.  Called the dealer who booked the car back in for service whilst the Hyundai Victoria Service Manager was in the shop.  He took a quick listen and said something along the lines of "something is seriously ****** in there somewhere., but they still couldnt fix the fault, and the FM reception is deteriorating rapidly now.  I am due to pick the car up again tomorrow after having the aerial and base replaced.  Here's hoping that it works this time........

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Sounds like you have been "in the wars" m8.. Looks like Hyundai have come to the party though considering the problems appear to be related to your accident (which is good) Hope it gets fixed properly this time  :D
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline clackerz

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Drivin' round Melbournes SE 'burbs in a Black SLX
Wow, that's some journey you've had there.

I really hope it works out for you.
Good to hear Hyundai have been working with you on this.

Keep us posted on your progress

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
When I first got my i30CW, the AM reception was as good as I had ever heard from a car radio.  Not too long after picking it up, I got rear ended and the car was sent to the panel beater for repair, and soon after getting the car back from being fixed, the AM radio stopped working - only lots of static coming through the speakers.  I also started having intermittant problems with the CD player - it would play the CD, but no audio would come out until you stopped the car, switched the ignition off and then restarted the car.  The USB would also act up with a message of "USB Reading" staying on the display.  Switching the ignition off would solve that problem for a while.  Took the car back to the dealer who replaced the head unit.  This fixed the CD and USB faults, but still had no AM radio.  Told the dealer and then had to wait a couple of weeks for new aerial cables to come in.  They were fitted, but still no radio.  Called the dealer who booked the car back in for service whilst the Hyundai Victoria Service Manager was in the shop.  He took a quick listen and said something along the lines of "something is seriously ****** in there somewhere., but they still couldnt fix the fault, and the FM reception is deteriorating rapidly now.  I am due to pick the car up again tomorrow after having the aerial and base replaced.  Here's hoping that it works this time........
your back m8,you used to be nutter67 though.!

Offline nutter67

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Cranbourne
 :-[ Ummm  forgot my password and also had to change email address.  i30dave was able to help, so now I am back as normal (well as normal as I can be........)

Got my car back from the service department this morning, and I was pretty much met at the door by the service team saying (with much relief) "It's fixed, your radio works" - which it does.  Previously they replaced the radio, aerial leads  and now finally the aerial and base.  This seems to have done the trick.  We will see if this also fixes the deteriorating FM reception as well.

I think I will wait a month before hitting them with the problem of the radio resetting to defaults every 7-10 days, and then get them to fit the radio back into the dash properly (bottom LH corner not sitting flush, makes it harder to use the knob).

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i think you should use another dealers service dept.  :eek:  [imo]

Offline nutter67

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Cranbourne
i think you should use another dealers service dept.  :eek:  [imo]
I was thinking about it, but then I thought I would annoy them into submission  :mrgreen:.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal