i30 Owners Club

High Level Brake Light

Offline Liam_bee

• 1st Gear
Hi All,
   New to the forum - purchased a 2010 i30 comfort in march and having quite a mixed time at the moment! (not all the cars fault, 1 smashed wing mirror - £52 for a mirror glass!!)

Anyway this time it is, shutting the boot earlier tonight and the red lens for the high level brake light fell off! Looking at the lens it has fractured all round where the silver section is attached and the shards of plastic are extremely brittle!

Has anyone else had a similar issue? Going to call the dealers tomorrow as this isn't the sort of issue you expect on a 4 month old car!

All the best,
Liam

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Hi Liam

First off, welcome to the forum :D :D :D

You are the first person I have heard of with such a problem and I have been a member here for 2 years, straight back to the dealer sir, a shiny new light should be provided and fitted forthwith :razz:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Liam_bee

• 1st Gear
Hi Bumpkin!
   Thank you for the welcome - seems a very friendly forum on my browsing :-)

Oddness! The only explanation I can think of is it being broken before it got to the dealers and it's become brittle in the weather - hi ho it's off to the dealers I go (incidentally it's a £115 part - ouch - I've bought entire cars cheaper.... Though the boot floor fell out on it!)

Many Thanks
liam

Offline clackerz

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Drivin' round Melbournes SE 'burbs in a Black SLX
Yep - straight to the dealership with that one.....

Maybe see when they're replacing it (they'll replace the whole unit) see if they can either explain to you what caused it or take it home for closer inspection - even post up some pics.  It will be very interesting to know how it happened or what may have caused this - not like it's in a place to get hit/bumped/knocked etc.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome to the club Liam.. Sorry to hear about your problem..

I have a very NOISY grandson called Liam but I won't hold that against you!! :lol:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hey, welcome Liam :D

As already said, what you described isn't normal for an i30, on planet normal.

Assuming you don't eat vast quantities of spinach and have arms like The Hulk, there's no way on God's good earth that the 3rd brake light should shatter in the way you described.

Anyway, good luck having it replaced, Bruce. Should be a no-brainer for the dealership.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose
1 smashed wing mirror - £52 for a mirror glass
In a 40 mph limit, a Ford Mondeo taxi, coming towards me, overtook a line of vehicles and both our mirrors clipped each other at a combined speed of approx. 80 mph. The Mondeo's was bent into the door, smashed up, mine was pushed hard up against the door window, and I thought broken, but when I switched the ignition on and pressed the "fold back" switch it it levelled back up again with no further problems! I still find it hard to believe.
Only "burn" marks on my led indicator lense - rubbed them off with polish. QED.

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I'd explain the issue and see what they say.

If they insist you pay say you are returning the car for a full refund as it doesn't adhere to the vehicle regulations relating to warning lights.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal