i30 Owners Club

Engine doesn't start up at first turn of key

peon2t · 7 · 2742

Offline peon2t

• 3rd Gear

• ch Switzerland
      Lucerne, Switzerland
Hey

After my mysterious loss of cooling water ( https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=21782.msg232133 ) seems to be resolved for the moment (I'll keep an eye on it and come back to you if there should be another sioginificant loss), I experienced today another strange issue.

When I wanted to start the carf, it didn't ignite like it normally does. Instead it just stuttered for some seconds.  So I had to turn the ignition key for a second time in order to get the engine started. While doing this, I noticed some quite big cloud of smoke drifting past from the rearsiede of my car.

It could be something similar like Darjm posted in this thread: https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=21940.0  altough I din't notice the color of the smoke. The outside temperature was 20° C today, so it shouldn't be a "cold weather" issue.

I must say, I'm starting to get a bit unamused. The car hasn't even done 4000 km yet and I'm experiencing new issues every week. No big things but a bit distrubing for a brand new car.

(The poor coating quality I already mentioned here: https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=20117   and it has been an ongoing source of upset since then. Another new thing is, that I now have dents in the bonnet because the force that is needed to lock the bonnet down is obviously bigger than the force the bonnet can withstand without getting a dent...)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I now have dents in the bonnet because the force that is needed to lock the bonnet down is obviously bigger than the force the bonnet can withstand without getting a dent...)

I hold my bonnet approx 12 inches from the locked position let it drop down and it locks first time. 

I don't need to push down on the bonnet.

If you have to force it are the rubber spacers at the side too high?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Even 20ºC is cold for an engine. Let the dealer check the glow plugs, it's not a big deal for them to diagnose.

Like eye30, I allways drop the bonnet the last inches to close it.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I must say, I'm starting to get a bit unamused. The car hasn't even done 4000 km yet and I'm experiencing new issues every week. No big things but a bit disturbing for a brand new car.

That is a shame, but I can see where you are coming from.

20oC is still cold for a motor but I would have thought warm enough to not be relying on the glow plugs so much  :undecided:

I didn't realise you had only done 4000 km

I hope that most of your issues are sorted soon. Don't suppose much can be done about the paint, except keep it polished.

I do the same as the others with the bonnet.  :cool:

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline peon2t

• 3rd Gear

• ch Switzerland
      Lucerne, Switzerland
I see, I'll try out this new "bonnet closing technique" ;)
Although it's a bit late now for me to learn it.

20oC is still cold for a motor but I would have thought warm enough to not be relying on the glow plugs so much

I think so too. Plus I dont think that it would be good to have broken glowplugs after not even 4000 km...

Well here we have 5x free spring checkup included in the 5 years warranty as I just remembered. So I'll be taking the car to the dealer anyway in the next weeks and I'll present them with a list of problems on this occasion ;)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I can't remember whether yours is petrol or diesel but I always turn my key to ignition long enough to extinguish the glowplug indicator, then turn to start. I don't even have to look because it coincides with when the radio, USB or CD starts playing. Even for a petrol this might be a fix for your starting problem if it gives the electrics time to initialise. Mine has done 46M (46000K) and always starts on the first turn.  :D
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline peon2t

• 3rd Gear

• ch Switzerland
      Lucerne, Switzerland
I have a diesel and I always wait till the glowplug indicator is off (it's only like 2 seconds anyway) before I start the engine. Normally I use this time to fasten the seatbelt.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal