i30 Owners Club

GD clutch hose clip

Online BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
A while ago I posted a topic about strapping the clutch hose on with cable ties. This is for those cars with a coaxial slave cylinder buried away inside the bell housing, with a plastic spigot that pokes out and the clutch hose is a push fit with a snap clip to hold it in place. Unfortunately the snap clip broke allowing the hose to separate from the spigot so you end up with a non-working clutch and a puddle of hydraulic fluid in the undertray.

Hyundai won't supply the snap clip alone, you have to buy a complete hose which is around £100, so I held the hose on with cable ties as a temporary measure. A couple of years later, the cable ties broke and I was back to square 1. Fortunately, I found that Vauxhall did supply snap clips which looked very similar, so I bought a couple seeing as they were only about £2 each. I've included a photo of the new clip alongside the original broken clip. The gap from the first kink in the wire to the top is smaller, but when I pushed it in there was a pretty firm click as it seated around the groove in the spigot, and it hasn't popped out in the few weeks since I fitted it. Vauxhall part number is 90512780

For good measure, I also decided to try and get the proper o-ring that seals the connection. It's now impossible to ring the parts departments of my nearest Hyundai dealers, you have to fill in an online enquiry form and wait a few days for a reply. The Kia dealers do have a person that picks up the phone and when I gave them the part number for the o-ring it was about £5. Not only did they not have stock but they've never ordered any. They told me I should just get an o-ring set and pick one out that seemed the best fit. That's what I did, pick one out from the set of assorted o-rings I already had.

I dispensed with fitting the cable ties as extra security, I think the offset tension pulls the hose off-centre and it doesn't seal so well. I carry some in the car though, just in case.

• i30 CRD

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal