i30 Owners Club

i30 Fuel Filter

astn945 · 15 · 14193

Offline astn945

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands
I'm preparing to service my car for the first time (2007 i30 1.4 petrol). I was wondering if anyone can tell me where on this car the fuel filter is located. Also I'm struggling to actually find what looks like the correct part. I've searched on a couple of parts stores but the results that came up look a bit unlike what I'd expect the fuel filter to look like. Any idea? Thanks
  • (57 reg) Hyundai i30 1.4 Comfort (109 PS)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
The fuel filter for your model is incorporated with the fuel pump which is inside the fuel tank. The filter is replaceable, but requires the fuel pump to be removed first. There is a procedure to do this, but not normally a performed at home.

Depending on your mechanical skills as to whether you perform this task.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
That seems to be an image of the 'right part' - I am not suggesting ordering from Oz... but Super Cheap Auto over here have a parts finder on the website... while your engine size for the year isn't listed selecting the 1.6 from 2008 (closest engine size at closest time) displays a Ryco part shaped the same.... unfortunately I can't give a direct link to the parts finder results page - http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/spare-parts/parts-finder.aspx

And it looks like it is a special order item (SCA item number starting with "SPO" - SPO1385886) - however it does give a nice shot of it and the Ryco part number: Z735 which can be found... :link: Search Part | Ryco Fuel Filter | Z735 Fuel Filter | hyundai I30 :: Ryco Filters :: Automotive Filters Australia - which looks the same as what you already have found.   I am taking a guess the FD body 1.4, 1.6 and 2.0 petrols all use the same filter - however I may get corrected on that...

As covered by Phil №❶ - in the pic are the words "In Tank Fuel Filter" (hence the shape).   Here is a promotional video for a company who supplies parts for the module (don't know if FD, like yours, or GD body type) - the video seems to be about replacing the metal cylinder in it (the cylinder is surrounded by the filter)

:link: How to repair a Hyundai i30 fuel module - YouTube

• 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Good luck with non-gen fuel filter.
I refuse to use them anymore after 3 seperate filter fitament issues.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline astn945

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands
Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to get it looked at by a qualified mechanic as I think it's a bit above my skill level

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Does the service schedule say the filter is to be replaced?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Is there a problem with your vehicle ?
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline astn945

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands
The service is slightly overdue. Usually I have a service done with MOT but this doesn't coincide because of when I brought the car a fresh MOT was put on it. It is running a little rough and lacking power a bit which I would assume is to do with the plugs being worn maybe. It's done about 14k since the last service. I'm going to have a look through the old service receipts from the previous owner to see if it has been done before because I'm not sure. As far as I'm aware there is nothing wrong with the filter though or it doesn't seem to be causing any problems. I read on another site that is should be changed ever 30k

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

The diesel filter is changed (amendment - insert 30k miles) and that is easy to get at as it is at the top on the back wall of the engine compartment just below the window screen.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 23:46:27 by eye30 »

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
The diesel filter is changed and that is easy to get at as it is at the top on the back wall of the engine compartment just below the window screen.

It's new to me they fit a diesel filter on a petrol engine....  :whistler:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

The diesel filter is changed and that is easy to get at as it is at the top on the back wall of the engine compartment just below the window screen.

It's new to me they fit a diesel filter on a petrol engine....  :whistler:
Hehehe
Should of added  30k  to show the diesel filter is changed every 30k miles.

Amended.....

Offline astn945

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands
Had a look through the history and apparently it's never been changed.
It's just had a fuel cleaning additive added on the services. So I'm guess something like Redex maybe. Also I've noticed that in the list of items done on the services. Plugs haven't been on there since 2012.. Everything else has been done every year e.g oil and filter change etc. But no plugs for 3 years. Doesn't sound good

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

My car is coming up for 4 years and this will be the first service for plugs to be change

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
Had a look through the history and apparently it's never been changed.
It's just had a fuel cleaning additive added on the services. So I'm guess something like Redex maybe. Also I've noticed that in the list of items done on the services. Plugs haven't been on there since 2012.. Everything else has been done every year e.g oil and filter change etc. But no plugs for 3 years. Doesn't sound good
I'd inspect the old plugs carefully to see if there is any of the ceramic insulator chipped away or damaged. Hopefully not...the electrode will erode with usage but unless ceramic pieces came loose there should not be any damage to the engine.

But it sounds like it could do with some attention...best of luck!
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Does the 1.4l run iridium spark plugs?  :undecided:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal