i30 Owners Club

Few questions about the 2015 I30

Offline Active_GD4

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide, SA
Hi - Sister just bought a new GD4 I30 Active 1.8 auto and have a few questions.

1. I take it from reading here Shell Helix/Ultra 5w30 is the correct oil for it?
2. The 6 speed auto is a sealed unit and the fluid in it is a special type and basically lasts for the life of the vehicle?

1st problem with the car is the drive belt - starting to wear on one side and getting worse. hopefully a new belt and that's it, well i hope.

Overall though it's a nice car for the price :)
  • I30 Active GD4 1.8 Auto

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome. Most of the discussions about oils relate to the diesel engine, but pretty much any good preferably fully synthetic oil should be fine in the 1.8 petrol. They should be listed in the owner's manaul or service book. Shell ultra is as good as any and one of the more keenly priced. I believe the 6 speed in the GD is a sealed unit, but some of our more techie members will know for sure.

That drive belt wear seems premature for a 2015 unless it has done a lot of work. Well spotted!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Active_GD4

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide, SA
Hi Dazzler, yeh spotted that belt straight away when we picked up the car - dealer was showing me the fuses under the hood while motor was running and saw the frays spinning round :) Had only done 27km and now about  150km and alot worse. Spoke to them today and they are getting a new belt in and will bring it in friday to get done. I just hope it was a bad belt or fitted badly - hope i haven't got a belt chewer here lol.

Will quiz the serviceman about the auto too and see what he says. The service book says 'no maintenance or service required' on the last of the services (120,000k) but the very next page it says to replace fluid every 100,000k lol

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
The trans oil should be replaced at the required interval stated in the service schedule. It is NOT a lifetime oil, as it will get dirty with friction plate material from gear changing that takes place under normal driving.

How far has it traveled  :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Active_GD4

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide, SA
The trans oil should be replaced at the required interval stated in the service schedule. It is NOT a lifetime oil, as it will get dirty with friction plate material from gear changing that takes place under normal driving.

How far has it traveled  :question:
it's done 250km now. that's the thing the service schedule is not clear.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Unfortunately, I don't have access to your model information, maybe someone who has the schedule can clarify your situation for you.

Offline Active_GD4

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide, SA
Well got the belt replaced monday (and it's first free service which is basically just checking stuff) but did not find out about the trans as the serviceman was not available (too busy) and mean't to contact me but hasn't yet and i doubt he will now so unsure exactly about the 6 speed auto.

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki

2. The 6 speed auto is a sealed unit and the fluid in it is a special type and basically lasts for the life of the vehicle?

I don't know what is the service schedule for the trans oil, but I would change it. In theory the transmission will last the life of the vehicle, because when the transmission gets broken the car "dies".  Mercedes had these "no oil change needed" transmission. At some point they suggested oil change for those because transmissions started to act out or got broken.

It is so much cheaper to change oil than fix transmission (or even buy a new one). Everyone can do to their cars whatever they want, but if you have money to buy a car, you should have money to service it at some point.

Offtopic: There have been people driving with check engine light for few years and at some point they start to cry how it is difficult to get it fixed without realizing that they might have been causing most of the problems. A simple quick fix can grow and grow if not taken care of. Suddenly you need to pay several thousands to get it sorted out.

Fox example I've heard case where due a broken ignition coil unburned fuel got in the exhaust pipe. Unburned fuel caused the cathalytic converter to broke down. New coil ~150€, new cat 1400€...
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline tohis

• V.I.P

• fi Finland
      Liperi
For both manual and auto tranny, I recommend to change the oil at least every 100,000 km, or something like 60,000 if you drive in a cold climate or are hauling heavy loads. Sealed unit does not mean that changing the oil would be impossible, because it has been somehow filled at the factory.  :wink:
  • 2017 Toyota Auris Hybrid Touring Sports, ( Ex 2013 i30 GD Wagon 1.6CRDi 6MT )

Offline Active_GD4

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide, SA
yeh prolly a good idea to do every 100000 - just gotta find out how to do it and the correct fluid to use :)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Auto trannys, hate dirty oil. Bits of friction material collect in the oil and can wreak havock with valves etc. So if you have any concerns or just want peace of mind, you could go to a transmission shop and have them do it for you. As you are in Adelaide I can recommend Rowell & Searle in the city. They look after my VP Commodore. Naturally, it will cost a bit but that's cheaper than trans repairs.

Offline Active_GD4

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide, SA
Thanks Phil but no concerns just wanna do everything myself but these cars these days are so different. The car gets used mildly and be lucky to do 15000km a year so will take many years to do 100000. Will prolly do every 4/5 years :)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal