i30 Owners Club

2009 i30 SPEAKER UPGRADE

Offline dayvurd

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
hello,

Ive got some JL audio C1-650 speakers. It comes with tweeters, cross overs and the woofers.
I took of the internal door panel to look at what i am up against and im just wondering if i have to bypass the tweeter power?

The speakers i have connect through the woofers by the looks of it. The woofers have 2 pos and 2 neg clips. Two for the crossover and two for power. But the tweeters connect directly to the crossovers. Which is why im thinking it might have to bypass the tweeter power? just super confused atm of how to power these things.

Thanks
  • 2009 I30 Comfort, 1.4L Petrol, 109BHP FD Red

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcome: Sorry, I can't really assist with that query. Hopefully someone that knows this stuff sees your post soon. Please be patient as we are a world wide forum with many timezones.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Your new speaker arrangement is getting the high frequency audio through the crossover and yet the car provides it through a separate channel. I lean towards bypassing the speaker crossover so you're allowing the car system to work as intended.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
You might need the crossovers from the aftermarket speaker set actually.   Note: If your 2009 is one which had a powered amp - the following may not apply.

So I did up this How-To ages ago  :link: HOW TO: FD Body - Remove/Replace/Swap OEM (2DIN) headunit when I had an 2010 FD i30cw (aka Tourer) - while the pinout is for an Australian specific OEM unit from 2011 - it was a drop-in replacement (i.e no re-wiring at all) for the 2010 OEM unit (which I believe was multi-country).

In other-words... the FD-01 pinout, at least for the audio side of things, may likely be the same as your head-unit... assuming it is OEM (and you don't have the OEM amp).   Your mileage may vary, etc., etc.

Which brings me to this point I don't see any tweeter connections on the head-unit pinout (albeit FD-01) - so I would think the OEM tweeters are connected in similar manner as your after-market is intended to be.

Which almost certainly would be in parallel across the woofer connection (of course being OEM wiring harness they could have done that anywhere from the head-unit to the OEM woofer).   I think we will actually find that the cap on the OEM tweeter is actually a part of the 'cross-over' circuit - i.e. High Pass Filter - the parts don't need to be right next to each other.   In your JL kit - it would appear the HPF components are all in the separate little box on the cable instead.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
That would certainly change things. If the FD isn't providing a separate tweeter line, then use the wiring as supplied. :whsaid:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
That would certainly change things. If the FD isn't providing a separate tweeter line, then use the wiring as supplied. :whsaid:

You said it more concisely than I ever do :rofl:
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal