i30 Owners Club

2018 i30 PD 1.6 CRDI D4FE weird noise during cold startup

Flo · 1 · 920

Offline Flo

• 1st Gear

• pl Poland
Hey Everyone,

I drive a 2018 i30 1.6 CRDI (D4FE)(MY2019) and I'm dealing with an issue during cold startups - there's a noticeable knocking or ticking noise that lasts a few seconds, audible only from outside, no matter if the hood is either up or down. It happens during every startup. It's hard to tell whether it happens when driving because it's not audible inside. It also happens sometimes on hot startup, but the sound of it is very quiet.

I made some videos of this noise so here's the links:

- that's the first video I made during summer; the noise is audible from around 0:10 to 0:16 (unfortunately it uploaded as a YouTube short)

- that's many videos compiled into one

My car is still under warranty, but it runs out on 30th of November. It recently returned from a 1.5-month service, primarily focusing on the front suspension (waiting for parts took quite a while). When I was giving them the car the noise was only audible sometimes, of course I mentioned it to them, but they told me that they don’t hear anything strange. After picking it up I contacted them again, because the noise started to appear every time, they assured me that it would take a day to check it. After few days of ignoring my calls I came in only to hear that they hear no strange noises. I may add that the service (and the place where they check up for noises) is located by the very busy road and international airport, it is in fact so loud there that I didn't know whether my diesel engine was running when standing next to it.

Anyone have any idea what it might be? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  • 2018 PDe Fastback, 1.6 CRDI (D4FE), DCT, White

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal