i30 Owners Club

Are You Thinking About Buying An Electric Car?

AlanHo · 11 · 2555

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
More people are now buying electric cars (I am not referring to hybrids)

If you would like to study the technical stuff about them - I can recommend this source :-

:link: BU-1003: Electric Vehicle (EV) ? Battery University
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
Would be no use to me at the moment but for some people they make sense, especially if they commute by car into the London congestion zone.

Future models will have much better range I suppose, though hybrids could become the better choice for many in the medium term.

I find it odd, but the biggest local taxi firm around here use about fifty percent Nissan Leafs at night. They only have a range of 100 miles max, though if they buy the better models the charge time is much reduced.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks Alan, unlikely to go a pure electric car, but still a very interesting site.  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
If lithium batteries burn when exposed to air, how can they be safe to use in cars  :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
Apart from them still being way to expensive for me.  My daily commute will soon be 150km round trip, and I need to get to the supermarket at least every other week, usually do it after work which will be a 250km round trip, I would like a range of somewhere above 400km to feel comfortable. If there were enough fast chargers along the highways to facilitate longer trips.

I do mostly rural driving, got no lights on my commute and keep an average speed of 70kph(according to the car-computer).

I think I will be on diesel for quite a few years.
  • Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
The Tesla 3 says hi.........

:link: Model 3 | Tesla Motors Australia

An article I read had the highway mileage at over 500k.

I will be watching with interest (I note that all the pre orders are refundable and suspect that a percentage of these are people speculating that they will be able to on sell their reservation or car to someone at a profit in much the same way people buy units off the plan, if so there may be a bubble that if it was to burst would leave Tesla with a large capacity and no one to buy which is when I like to be a buyer  :evil:)

Though as I look into it more, the cost saving in diesel may well reclaimed in servicing.

:link: Service plans | Tesla Motors Australia
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The Tesla 3 says hi.........

:link: Model 3 | Tesla Motors Australia

An article I read had the highway mileage at over 500k.

I will be watching with interest (I note that all the pre orders are refundable and suspect that a percentage of these are people speculating that they will be able to on sell their reservation or car to someone at a profit in much the same way people buy units off the plan, if so there may be a bubble that if it was to burst would leave Tesla with a large capacity and no one to buy which is when I like to be a buyer  :evil:)

Though as I look into it more, the cost saving in diesel may well reclaimed in servicing.

:link: Service plans | Tesla Motors Australia
Wow, that service link is interesting thanks Beerman! They say mainly inspections and then rip people off ( hard to justify those service costs for what they list as required) That's put me off a Tesla. ...

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
The other problem as I see it is charge stations. What if you are doing  Syd/Mel run and you pull in to a charge station to discover you are 5th in line.....+2.5 hours to the trip   :Shocked:
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The other problem as I see it is charge stations. What if you are doing  Syd/Mel run and you pull in to a charge station to discover you are 5th in line.....+2.5 hours to the trip   :Shocked:

True. I still reckon Hybrids are the best compromise. No range anxiety  :goodjob:

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
Wonder if its still 500km when its -25c and the road is covered in a dm of snow. :p

I slept on it and thought about another point, whats the expected lifetime in mileage? Reliability when they have done there first 250k km. There is just so many unknowns.

It probably is a vital part of the future though, but I gladly let it mature and see if it sizzles out like ethanol cars have done. I think the future is in hydrogen fuel cells.
  • Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal