i30 Owners Club

'Instant' mpg on a 2008 i30?

Offline Olympicon

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bristol
Guessing it's not possible? Mine only shows me average mpg but I'd quite like to see the instant readout!
  • 2008 2.0 CRDi Premium

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Nope.

What value to you, would the instant readout be  :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Olympicon

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bristol
So I know when I'm being too heavy with the accelerator ;) Would be nice to see at what points/revs the car uses the most/least fuel
  • 2008 2.0 CRDi Premium

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I have driven a GD with this type of display, I can't say it really was of much use to me. An experienced driver knows instinctively when fuel usage is high. Caused by high revs, high acceleration, steep inclines or excessive drag. Stay away from all of these and you will receive good economy from your vehicle.

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I'm getting an OBDII scanner and bluetooth transmitter. Does anyone know if they can give some sort of instantaneous readout using a smartphone app particularly for diesel?
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
So I know when I'm being too heavy with the accelerator ;) Would be nice to see at what points/revs the car uses the most/least fuel

I haven't come across one that gives the instantaneous readout,but if all you want is to know if your too heavy on the gas a simple vacuum gauge can tell you that,but like you I would rather see Hyundai have the current consumption other than the average,I can work the average out each time I fill the tank
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I can't see the value Rick-p.

Driving along and climbing a gradient, put the display up into 10 l/100 IIRC when I drove my mate's GD premium.Nothing I could do would alter the consumption lower, other than slowing the car down, likewise on downhill the consumption was fantastic at 0 l/100 but that was unsustainable of course. I like my average display because if it changes for better or worse, I think about what I can change to improve the figure.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
I can't see the value Rick-p.

Driving along and climbing a gradient, put the display up into 10 l/100 IIRC when I drove my mate's GD premium.Nothing I could do would alter the consumption lower, other than slowing the car down, likewise on downhill the consumption was fantastic at 0 l/100 but that was unsustainable of course. I like my average display because if it changes for better or worse, I think about what I can change to improve the figure.

Yes that would be OK if your fuel computer worked like that,I have on many occasions complained about the crappy fuel economy computer and bought this issue up many times with Hyundai(who say,they can find no issue with my trip/economy computer),I have tried numberous ways of using it,not resetting it each tank,resetting it each tank,resetting it on a downhill run,but mine will run up to a figure and just keep climbing till it gets to 5.5 to 6.1 and that is where it will stay,this is not the way they are supposed to work and I know for fact that is not what my average usage is,latest commodore one show overall average,continuous average,depending on which setting you have the trip computer on.

No still stand by my previous statements Hyundai's trip consumption computers are absolute crap and honestly not worth the extra money you have to pay to get that option,that's only my experience with them.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
But it is possible to grab & display the instant readout.

I did this on Fergie (2008 crdi premium) and can do it with Vayda, using Android app "Torque Pro":

• Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
But it is possible to grab & display the instant readout.

I did this on Fergie (2008 crdi premium) and can do it with Vayda, using Android app "Torque Pro":

Being a Techno Dumb ass how does this work ??

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
It works by plugging a bluetooth dongle into the OBDII port then using a smartphone (in my case) to connect to it. There are around 200 dials or readouts you can consume and display.

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
any particular type of dongle , Steve...or do they all fit...

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I don't have a phone that supports the OS, so no use to me, but it does sound a great tool. One thing, my memory is not particularly good, but somewhere I remember some description of how the avg is calculated. One thing I'm sure of is that the amount of fuels is a constant, not a variable which surprised me. This could be one area where inaccuracies may creep in to the computed result.

If anyone is interested, I can try to find it again.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: neptune
any particular type of dongle , Steve...or do they all fit...

Any ELM327 bluetooth dongle should work.

Vgate OBD2 OBD-II ELM327 V1.5 Bluetooth Car Scanner Android Auto Scan Tool UK | eBay

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
^--- I'd prefer one which has integral comms LEDs (mine has 3) which (a) confirms the plug is electrically connected (b) confirms the bluetooth is talking (c) shows the comms traffic.

Tho to be honest, in my FD those LEDs faced downwards and couldn't be seen :lol:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Everyone should own one, at that price :D

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I agree. This might be my first brave foray into the ebay world! Next I should get myself a mobile phone. :eek: :rofl:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Instant fuel economy would allow me to answer the question, travelling at 80km/hr on the flat, is it more economical to be in 5th or 6th gear. This could help me tailor my driving to improve overall fuel economy.

Offline Marci

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Wakefield, West Yorkshire
Dashcommand (smartphone app) definitely gives instant mpg on '08 i30 1.6 petrol... Supports both Bluetooth and wifi obdii devices. Wifi recommended over Bluetooth - less latency + higher refresh rate. If getting a wifi one, make sure it has an on/off switch else it's permanently on (obdii socket power is direct to battery).
  • 2008 FD i30 Comfort 1.6, petrol, red

Offline Marci

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Some screenies... all gauges work fine.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :ta: :judges: :Agoodpost:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Dashcommand (smartphone app) definitely gives instant mpg on '08 i30 1.6 petrol... Supports both Bluetooth and wifi obdii devices. Wifi recommended over Bluetooth - less latency + higher refresh rate. If getting a wifi one, make sure it has an on/off switch else it's permanently on (obdii socket power is direct to battery).

Does this require the in app payment to work? How does it compare to Torque App?

Offline Marci

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
All included in price of app as standard. Never bothered with any others as dashcommand is by far the best out there for iPhone. It'll run fine on anything apple from an iPod Touch 2G on iOS5 or better.

See http://www.palmerperformance.com/products/dashcommand/ for links to app for each mobile platform.

Edit: yes, on android you'd need to buy the inapp purchase to get out of eval mode.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal