i30 Owners Club

UK 30 day exchange scheme on used cars

jb · 16 · 3903

Offline jb

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Shropshire
Hi all,

I have a number of faults mainly minor but one relating to non-starting and am considering using the exchange scheme to swap my car for another.  I really like the design of my estate car and like the way it drives, but I am worried with the number of things wrong on a car that is less than a year old.

The dealer that I bought the car from only have one more estate and that is £1000 more than the one I just bought, so I would probably have to pay the balance if I swapped.  My question is do many people have problems with their cars and also if anyone has used the exchange scheme themselves.  I phoned Hyundai UK information line, they refused to tell me how the scheme worked and told me I would have to talk to the dealer about it - not very impressed with their customer service!

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
What is the list of faults?

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece
      Body lives in Athens, heart in Thessaloniki

• ...em ot keerG lla s'ti
Hi jb,
have no idea myself about 30 day exchange, but if Hyundai UK suggested that you have to talk to the dealer, then the 30day exchange might be the specific dealer's policy and not Hyundai's. Have you confirmed the above?
As for the car's more common problems, you can search the "problem's & issues" threads (i know, this is not helpfull :razz: )
  • 1.4 HB Classic '09 White

Offline jb

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Shropshire
Hi, thanks for the replies.

The faults have been-

Failed to started on two occasions (had to call breakdown services to get car going again - loose fuse first time.  Fuse not loose second time not sure what's going on)
Seat belt warning light and warning noise comes on randomly even when I am wearing the belt (this is a new one that's happened today!)
Panel to the right of the dashboard (between door and side of dashboard) pops out.  Dealer has re-fitted this but it's happened since then.
Rattle from boot/tailgate - (it's an estate - don't know if this is common)
Plus various other resonances/vibrations from the dash/trim.

The car is less than a year old and has only done 4500 miles so I am wondering whether this number of issues is a common experience among owners or whether I've been unlucky with my car? 

Offline Sunder

• 1st Gear

• us United States

• 2011 Elantra Touring SE - 5-speed
If I understand you correctly, you bought this used.  Any idea why someone got rid of it with so few miles?

Random electrical problems make me think of flood damage but that's just a wild guess.  Anything else odd about the car?  That list of problems would scare me away if I saw them ahead of time.  I can't speak to your options where you live.

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

• 1.4 Comfort in Midlands UK
Hi jb

Out of curiosity what dealership did you purchase your car from, was it in Shropshire ?

Offline jb

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Shropshire
Hi Sunder, I must admit the low number of miles was one of the things that I liked about the car - but in hindsight you're right I wouldn't sell a car at that age and mileage.  There didn't seem to be anything else strange about the car, that's made it all the more surprising to have these problems.   I did get the previous owners name and address from the registration document, I was going to phone him to find out about the history of the car but his number is not listed - it would be very interesting to know why he got rid of it.

I didn't get my car from the Shropshire dealer but from one in North Staffordshire, the Shropshire dealer didn't have much second hand stock so I had to look a bit further afield.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
A while ago HY UK  had a trade in scheme for i30's less than 1 yo and to buy a new car.

Think it was covered on this site at the time.  Will search and post if I find it.

I wonder whether this was the reason for the trade in?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline jb

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Shropshire
I took the car to the supplying dealer today after speaking to the salesman who sold me the car.  The technician seemed pretty switch on and asked all about the starting problem. He checked the coding on the key and immobiliser, checked for fault codes but unfortunately didn't find anything - he also didn't come up with an explanation as to why the seat belt warning light would suddenly come on for no good reason.  I am wondering now if there could be a general electrical issue with the car now.

The end of the 30 day exchange period comes up over the weekend so I need to decide whether to put my trust in the car or cough up an extra £1000 or so to exchange this for a slightly newer i30 estate they've got in stock - it's a tough call!

Offline TrishCW

• 5th Gear
  • SWMBO at Dazzler's House

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• My little "GEM"
I agree It is a tough call, good luck with what ever you decide to do JB. :goodjob:.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi again jb...

Sometimes in situations like this you can get out of the frying pan into the fire..(so to speak)

1000 pounds is a lot of money and the other car could have similar small issues (although probably unlikely as the i30 is inherently a very reliable car) is the other estate a higher model or exactly the same??
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline TrishCW

• 5th Gear
  • SWMBO at Dazzler's House

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• My little "GEM"
I just had a thought, not like me :lol: but do you have some where you can take the car for a full check.
We have R.A.C.T here, they could tell you if it has had any flood damage that might be causing your problem.  :goodjob:

Offline jb

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Shropshire
The car is the same spec - a 1.6 crdi comfort estate in Silver (mine is steel grey), but is a few months newer and I think has only 10 miles on the clock (mine has done 4500 miles now).  I haven't got an exact cost to exchange my car or the silver one, the dealer said that under the exchange plan they would have to reduce the value of my car to take into account additional wear to the car since I bought it.  I think that's a bit rough as I've only had the car 3 weeks and put an extra 600 miles on it! 

I think I will phone them tomorrow to get an exact cost to swap which will help me make up my mind.  I am just disappointed to find myself thinking about getting rid of the car after such a short period of time.  I really like the combination of space, economy and performance of the car.  I had planned on keeping this one for a long time (I had my last car for 8 years), but having these problems so soon has knocked my confidence in this one.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
These offers always have a catch (sounds like the other car is brand new though).

I reckon if you can establish it was not flood damaged you should keep it and once the niggly little probs are fixed you should be fine (hopefully)  :confused:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I had a rattle from the rear hatch, I bent the number plate up a bit and havent heard from it since.....

I personally would put my faith in the 5 year warranty....

Is the pannel popping out from a prang?
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I personally would exchange it because if and when they sort these problems out will you be really really happy with the car?

Re reducing value as you have had it for 3 weeks. If they insist on reducing it ask for a couple of free services and extra's for the new car. 
You can only ask.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal