i30 Owners Club

Led lights (+ legality?)

Offline Olivier Pauwels

• 2nd Gear

• be Belgium
      Belgium

• Crystal white <3
Hey

Okay so i'm obcessed with lights just to let you know :p (like really, my friends call me led-maniac lol)
Anyway...

My dad has an Audi A5 S-Line and well, the led-strip in his lights is just like .. well 'OMG I MUST HAVE THAT'. :p

So I'm looking for I30 headlights which have led-strips or angeleyes, i've found these two:

http://www.koreanautoimports.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=31_158_270&products_id=1858

http://www.koreanautoimports.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=31_158_270&products_id=4191

I'm not 100% convinced on the curve of the led-strip in one the second light.
I'd have to see it mounted first i think.

PLUS, I live in Belgium, and I'm not sure about the legality of these lights ? How is this in your countries ?

Thanks in advance.
- Oli

(PS. oh and call me wierd but i'm only interested in led-headlights :p i'm fine with non-led tail lights)

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
I'm not sure I like the second set of lights. If there was a way for a set of lights to look femmine then they have it.

I also thing maybe the light from the indicator LEDs will be poor when vierwed from a right angle to the car?

Not sure of the legality in Beligium, sorry.

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
Would not be legal in the UK.

I don't like the second type either.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I am the same as the other guys like the circular set up much better than the wave... :wink:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Olivier Pauwels

• 2nd Gear

• be Belgium
      Belgium

• Crystal white <3
I would like the -strip- if it had a slight curve but just going from left to right etc.
The curve in this one with the angle in it etc, i'm not to keen on it.

But I prefer the strips to the angeleyes so its frustrating lol :p
A german company 'Dectane' makes led lights but, typical, they dont have ones for I30's, just for the tucson and the santa-fe.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Before the MY2011 fornt bumper change Hyundai had proptyped and displayed at some car shows LED running lights built in to the front bumper protectors/corners. I recall there might have been somewhere you could buy them (german site but I forget the details). They were briefly discussed on here maybe 4 or 5 months ago.

Offline Olivier Pauwels

• 2nd Gear

• be Belgium
      Belgium

• Crystal white <3
Before the MY2011 fornt bumper change Hyundai had proptyped and displayed at some car shows LED running lights built in to the front bumper protectors/corners. I recall there might have been somewhere you could buy them (german site but I forget the details). They were briefly discussed on here maybe 4 or 5 months ago.

Yeah I know which ones you're on about but they weren inside the headlight units, they were in the part above the fog lights. I'd prefer it if they were inside the headlight units.

(these: CLICK )

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

But I prefer the strips to the angeleyes so its frustrating lol :p
A german company 'Dectane' makes led lights but, typical, they dont have ones for I30's, just for the tucson and the santa-fe.

I really like the angel eyes  :mrgreen: I have similar projector lights on my new car so I might have to do some searching.. :wink:

Offline Olivier Pauwels

• 2nd Gear

• be Belgium
      Belgium

• Crystal white <3
I really like the angel eyes  :mrgreen: I have similar projector lights on my new car so I might have to do some searching.. :wink:

Everyone has their own favorites :) i prefer audi-style led's to angeleyes, check this youtube video, this is EXACTLY what i want!! (unfortunately, he made it himself, so its not a buy-plug&go thing, and i'm no electronic expert so..)..

link:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Was that an i30? (in the you tube video):eek: .. flash grill and custom colour  :question: :question: :question:

Offline Opa_1

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      South West Rocks, NSW, Australia

• i30's are being seen everywhere....
Was that an i30? (in the you tube video):eek: .. flash grill and custom colour  :question: :question: :question:

Not sure that it was.
Headlights looked the same but some differences below the grill??

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Its an i30, check out his other videos.

Amazing you can make an i30 look like a 10 year old Citroen Saxo.

Offline Opa_1

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      South West Rocks, NSW, Australia

• i30's are being seen everywhere....
So it is! Awesome looking front on this car! :cool:

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital

Offline Olivier Pauwels

• 2nd Gear

• be Belgium
      Belgium

• Crystal white <3
Mine came from Shark Racing (from Korea)

I like angeleyes, but I prefer daytime running LED's, audi-style (inside the light unit i mean), the most.
This ofcourse is my personal opinion.

I've emailed my hyundai dealer about the DRL-lights, he told me he's going to look into it for me and keep me posted on it.

At work (i'm a webdesigner&developer), i quickly editted a picture in photoshop to make it look like it had audi-style led's and MY GOD did it look awesome!! :D but i didn't save the image xD

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
I use the white rings for daytime running. In Oz I can tell you they are legal because they are white. In Oz those Audi looking ones would also be considered legal because they would be generating white light. In both instances no other colours could be used on the front lights, apart from amber, which is used for turn signal. Interestingly I noticed Audi daytime running lights automatically dim on the side where the indicator is used. When the indicator turns off the running lights switch to full capacity

Offline Olivier Pauwels

• 2nd Gear

• be Belgium
      Belgium

• Crystal white <3
A slight/minor update:

I've spoken to my hyundai dealer about this, & 'cause he's also a good friend of ours he said he'll look into it for me.
I called him yesterday and he said that hyundai and MS-Design are working on these atm and he'll recieve more information soon. :D

So perhaps we'll see some MS-Design audi-style DRL light units ;D which i would/will deff. buy!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

A slight/minor update:

I've spoken to my hyundai dealer about this, & 'cause he's also a good friend of ours he said he'll look into it for me.
I called him yesterday and he said that hyundai and MS-Design are working on these atm and he'll recieve more information soon. :D

So perhaps we'll see some MS-Design audi-style DRL light units ;D which i would/will deff. buy!

Thanks Olivier (look forward to an update)

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Carrickferugs, Northern Ireland, UK

• My other car has no roof :O Mk1 MX5 1.8
Mine came from Shark Racing (from Korea)
did you have a problem with the beam pattern, seein as your driving on the correct side of the road, same as me in the uK :P
  • Premium 1.6 CRDi 2008 MY

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
Syecadelic (from UK) had the same question a short time ago as well, so I'll just repeat what I said to him if that's OK.
There is a metal plate inside inside the barrel of the headlight which is held on by 3 screws, but they cannot be removed unless you separate the front lens from the rear casing.
Having said that there is only one solution if you're still worried about legality. Buy a set of headlights from the UK and send them over to Sharkracing for the conversion. Otherwise they would be doing the same thing, but buying the Korean spec. That way you only up for the cost of the rings.
For me I don't see it as a problem anymore. On the very rare occasion a car travelling in the opposite direction might flash his high beam at me thinking I was on high beam too. Sharkracing suggested that I adjust the beams lower to compensate but I haven't bothered because it doesn't bother me anymore. I haven't been pulled up on any legality issues.
Hope this helps

Offline pavka

• 1st Gear
To use it in UK/Europe lamps need approval on lamp (on hongkong mostly they use E11 sign on it and it means UK approval). Also in Poland if lamps have E11 approval in the terms of law they can be used in all European Union.

Anyone maybe have more pictures of this lamps? (i like the curves one)

Also is there any diffrence in facelifting i30 made in czech republic? it will fit?

And last question - anyone order to EU from koreanimportparts? There is all fine wth this store? Any additional tax?

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Carrickferugs, Northern Ireland, UK

• My other car has no roof :O Mk1 MX5 1.8
Pavka,
can only answer 1 of your questions. The headlights on the facelift i30 are the same fit, as far as i'm aware, it was only the bumper/grill that changed :)
  • Premium 1.6 CRDi 2008 MY

Offline Olivier Pauwels

• 2nd Gear

• be Belgium
      Belgium

• Crystal white <3
Right... little update: spoke to my hyundai dealer again (who was looking into these DRL's for me). He said he'll have the led's sometime this week. And he showed me an email which had photos in it. Well I'm definitely going to buy them but..

There were 2 downsides to them (for my personal opinion then):
- 1. The leds he got from MS-Design are not headlight-units, but they go in the bumper (above the foglights). (like mercedes or porsche does it)

- 2. The pricing. He told me it will be € 440,- (this includes all costs though, including the placing of them)

so those were 2 downsides.. but i love led's so i'm going to buy them anyway xD! I've got an appointment saturday morning (to fix my front right wheel arch (something (dont know what) got inbetween and pretty much ripped it appart), but if he gets the led's, i'm going to ask him to install those saturday too :)! )

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

but i love led's so i'm going to buy them anyway xD! I've got an appointment saturday morning (to fix my front right wheel arch (something (dont know what) got inbetween and pretty much ripped it appart), but if he gets the led's, i'm going to ask him to install those saturday too :)! )

Sounds good.. but like you say expensive  :eek:

Obviously, if it happens we will want some pix ASAP  :D

Offline Olivier Pauwels

• 2nd Gear

• be Belgium
      Belgium

• Crystal white <3
Sounds good.. but like you say expensive  :eek:

Obviously, if it happens we will want some pix ASAP  :D

Yea its quite expensive, but im driving the i30 for atleast 4 more years, so why the hell not xD! might aswell make it look the way i want then ;D

EDIT: plans for (soon-ish) future: replace daytime lightbulbs with superbright led's, and same with foglights. and maybe install my woofer again.

And yeah, i'll definitely make some pics! i'll use my 12mp nikon d5000 then :P rather then my phone like my other pics lol.
I'm still looking around for a good place in my area to make a photo shoot, aswell as trying to find time to do so :P but I'm going to, sometime!

Actually my friend just bought a ford focus francorchamps edition or whatever it was called again, might do a shoot with him and his new car.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal