i30 Owners Club

Blower resistor failure ?

AVP · 8 · 3669

Offline AVP

• 2nd Gear

• ro Romania

• I30, GD, 1.4CRDI - 2014
Hello, this is my first topic on the forum. Not sure if this was discussed before...
I have a i30 hatch, diesel, 1.4crdi, from 2014 and I have issues with the fan speed knob. When i turn it to speeds 1,2,3 it does nothing, when I put it in max (4) it starts full speed. Initially I thought the resistors are integrated in the knob for each position, so i have to replace them somehow, but after some research I found out it's one huge blower resistor with heatsink and somewhere near the a/c pipes for cooling. Does anyone know the part no. for this item ? Also, where is it placed and what parts I have to remove to get to it? Can anyone provide a sketch ? I assume it should be somwhere under the glove compartment, passenger area. Thanks.
  • I30 crdi, hatch, 90hp

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hello, this is my first topic on the forum. Not sure if this was discussed before...
I have a i30 hatch, diesel, 1.4crdi, from 2014 and I have issues with the fan speed knob. When i turn it to speeds 1,2,3 it does nothing, when I put it in max (4) it starts full speed. Initially I thought the resistors are integrated in the knob for each position, so i have to replace them somehow, but after some research I found out it's one huge blower resistor with heatsink and somewhere near the a/c pipes for cooling. Does anyone know the part no. for this item ? Also, where is it placed and what parts I have to remove to get to it? Can anyone provide a sketch ? I assume it should be somwhere under the glove compartment, passenger area. Thanks.
For the standard A/C it's a  resistor. If you had the Auto A/C / climate control it's a transistor.

97128A5000

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Assuming LHD,  but regardless , wherever the glove box is, remove the trim panel under neath, that should reveal the blower unit

Offline AVP

• 2nd Gear

• ro Romania

Thank you for the prompt reply. Very helpful! It's the one with standard A/C so resistor. I already ordered the part, I'll pick it up on Saturday and will install it asap. I'll let you know the outcome.
  • I30 crdi, hatch, 90hp

Offline AVP

• 2nd Gear

• ro Romania

So this was the issue actually, the Ground has de-soldered itself. Instead of buying one I could just re-solder it. Well, for anyone who experiences the same simptoms, this is most likely the issue. It is very simple to change. You just have to remove the glove box and at the very bottom is the resistor. Remove two short screws (you need a fairly big philips head, yet a short screw driver /or a small clinker wrench with philips head)
Thanks again for your help.

upload
  • I30 crdi, hatch, 90hp

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Thank you for the update :victory:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Great stuff,   :goodjob: another fixed it myself and now can buy a carton of beer and a couple bottles of wine with the saved money. Enjoy!
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
So this was the issue actually, the Ground has de-soldered itself. Instead of buying one I could just re-solder it. Well, for anyone who experiences the same simptoms, this is most likely the issue. It is very simple to change. You just have to remove the glove box and at the very bottom is the resistor. Remove two short screws (you need a fairly big philips head, yet a short screw driver /or a small clinker wrench with philips head)
Thanks again for your help.

upload
The joys of lead free solder.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal