i30 Owners Club

Diagnostic Tool for I30

Zoom · 8 · 9001

Offline Zoom

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Dandenong, Melbourne
If anyone's interested in a diagnostic and programming tool for a Hyundai, you may be interested for the one I am getting for my Opel Insignia.  This tool will cover both my Opel, I30 and more!  HERE The cost is AU$380  :victory:

• 2012 I30 Premium

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Looks interesting, though not much specifically seems to relate to the hardware used in Hyundai vehicles.

I'm guessing the bulk of that price will be for the software itself. I like the functionality to dump (and restore) the ECU data :)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline allautomotiveparts

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Gold Coast, QLD
If your after some more simple solutions or cheaper...

ELM 327 Bluetooth and the app Torque on a mobile will pretty much handle 90% of the computer issues with a Hyundai 95+

ICarSoft - not to be mistaken with the carsoft stuff will handle everything else... these are model specific computers so check which one is for hyundai ... they do one for mercs and another for audi / skoda etc also ... very good for the money

these are your cheapest alternatives that are worth while period.

Otherwise; G.Scan is generally your heavily paid for machine or OEM specific machines again very x'ey

• All Hyundai Cars

Offline Stuwoolf

• 3rd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      A wee town south of Glasgow
If your after some more simple solutions or cheaper...

ELM 327 Bluetooth and the app Torque on a mobile will pretty much handle 90% of the computer issues with a Hyundai 95+

ICarSoft - not to be mistaken with the carsoft stuff will handle everything else... these are model specific computers so check which one is for hyundai ... they do one for mercs and another for audi / skoda etc also ... very good for the money

these are your cheapest alternatives that are worth while period.

Otherwise; G.Scan is generally your heavily paid for machine or OEM specific machines again very x'ey

Thanks for sharing.

As I intend to hold on to my 2014 1.4 i30 5dr for a considerable time I feel it would be worth while investing in the diagnostic equipment you have suggested.

The ELM327 and Torque app are  easy enough to track down on the net. The ICarSoft is a bit more confusing.

Been on the website and did a search using i30 and little came up in the way of diagnostic tools. Can you assist further and be more specific on ICarSoft?

Grateful if you can and again, thanks for sharing.

**EDIT** Found this on eBay
:link: iCarSoft i810 OBD2 Diagnosegerät, Canbus, Honda, Toyota, Hyundai, Kia, Suzuki | eBay
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 11:31:57 by Stuwoolf »
  • 2014, i30, 5 Door Hatch, 1.4 Active, Petrol, 6 Speed Manual, Silver

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
What about the KW808 OBDII/EOBD Code Reader :link: CAR Engine Fault Diagnostic Scanner Auto Code Reader OBD2 Scan Tool KW808 NEW G | eBay , it does all US - Asian and Euro cars after 96 and is very similar to the ICarSoft tool but only $50 instead of $200.

G.scan tools start around $3500 :faint:

Offline Stuwoolf

• 3rd Gear

• scotland Scotland
What about the KW808 OBDII/EOBD Code Reader :link: CAR Engine Fault Diagnostic Scanner Auto Code Reader OBD2 Scan Tool KW808 NEW G | eBay , it does all US - Asian and Euro cars after 96 and is very similar to the ICarSoft tool but only $50 instead of $200.

G.scan tools start around $3500 :faint:

A much better price :)

Looks just like the Autel CAN VW/AUDI Scan Tool I have for my Golf.

Didint appreciate the usefulness of these things until I started using it. When the engine management light came on the tool identified the problem as cylinder1 misfire. Replaced the pencil coil and it was fixed. Much better than fannying around trying to establish what and where the problem is.

The scan tool still needs to be value for money.

Offline Stuwoolf

• 3rd Gear

• scotland Scotland
Finally received the OBD Scan
:link: Amazon.com: Vgate Bluetooth Scan Tool OBD2 OBDII Scanner for TORQUE APP ANDROID: Automotive

Plugged it in to the car and ran TORQUE app from my phone.

The scanner doesnt have any instructions so in the dark with regards what it told me. It did say there were no fault codes stored on ECU. That must be a good thing?

All readings were ignition on and engine off.

TORQUE offers rpm reading, throttle position and the likes. To get them the engine would need to be running. Is it safe to run the engine/drive withe the scanner plugged in?

Will upload screen shots from phone once they are resized.

Uploaded a screen shot.

Should I be concerned with the 'X' readings?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 14:06:01 by Stuwoolf »

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I used to run my FD and the RAV4 with it plugged in- does no harm.

I think you'll find most functions require the engine to be running...
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal