i30 Owners Club

Slice & Dice Movies

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The Katana is the only one that gets used and has been sharpened twice in the last 15 years, the Wakizashi ( short sword ) stays in the cabinet.

They also have the ceremonial fuchi ( guards ) on at the moment since he just pulled them out of the display cabinet, when using the Katana the guard will be changed to protect it.

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
how do you tell on ebay if a katana can be sharpened and if it is real enough......what sort of metal etc.....

Offline PiL

• 3rd Gear
  • Lord and Master

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW

• Pump it Loud
i used to watch every single sword making doco i could find for a while back there. (as in japanese style)
the process itself is so beautiful, let alone the end product.

the closest i have is a hand crafted sushi blade from a famous (read touristy) store in Kyoto. what it can do to raw fish is amazing :D
  • GDe i30 tourer elite diesel

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
As long as the blades are steel then they can be sharpened, I would think a high carbon grade would be the minimum to use on any blade you want longevity from when buying from an army surplus or other stores that sell imitations, most of the imitations wont have a blood edge and scalloping, Ebay will only be Chinese copies so no guarantees on the quality and if you use them it's likely the handle will fall off :scared:

Don't expect it to last like a genuine sword would though, I've no idea what grade steel they use but it's folded over a hundred times and is much harder than any other blade or steel I've ever seen.

My crappy photo doesn't show up the scalloping pattern on the blade edge either which looks awesome when it's right in front of you.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 19:05:36 by CraigB »

Offline PiL

• 3rd Gear
  • Lord and Master

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW

• Pump it Loud
no wait, the closest thing i got is sitting right next to me. just took a pic.

wont cut people in half unfortunately.  :disapp:

• GDe i30 tourer elite diesel

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yes, I watched a Jap swordmaker at work on U tube ages ago, truly fascinating. When you see modern drop forged blanks being churned out in large numbers (in China), you can appreciate the "art" of true sword making.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal