Possible engine fault? need help?

leeroy · 13 · 4225

Offline leeroy

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Northern Ireland
Hi,

2010 I30 1.6 CRDI comfort 33k

When I turn my ignition in the mornings or after long period of time i.e after work, it seems to take a long time to crank over and start, probably about three to five seconds, ive never had this with another car before, it does always start just seems to take a while.

Once it does start however there is a lot of smoke comes out the back and if your reversing out of the driveway the diesel fumes always come in to the car, sometimes i have to put my window down as its so acrid.

The car clock is saying that im getting around 51 mpg which i felt was a bit on the low side.

The car seems to look and drive fine other than that, had a look at the engine and the only thing I could notice was a bit of oil around the rocker gasket but it looked old and dried in?

The cars still in warranty so if there was a fault I would be keen to get it sorted.

Does anything think this sounds abnormal and if so what it could be??

Thanks Ryan
  • 2010 I30 CRDI Comfort

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
After turning on the ignition - are you waiting for the glow plug light to go out before operating the starter?

The recent cold weather will extend starting time a little.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
When I had my diesel, in the summer/warm the car started as if instant but as the weather got cooler/cold it would take a little bit longer to turn over.

re smoke
some members have had this and has been covered on here so try a search and see what comes up

Here is 1 topic from another UK member.

Smoke on start-up with CRDI (2)
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
welcome Ryan, as has been pointed out, wait for glow plug light to go out before starting. i've owned two diesel i30's the first was 2008 model 5 speed  & now have 2011 model 6 speed. my first one the glow plug light was slower to go out so had to wait a few seconds before trying to start, the one i have now glow plug light goes off instant. but i'm in Australia. i think you should try turning ignition on but not cranking motor over just turn it on, count to two turn it off then turn it on again count to two then crank it over see if that helps. if possible reverse car in when you get home , then in morning you don't need to reverse through the diesel smoke ( that can happen when it's cold )

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
If it's in warranty, go to your dealer and tell them you think the glow plugs are faulty. We've had ours replaced. There should not be any smoke at start up, (not to be confused with steam) in your country where it is colder.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Agree.

Sounds like 1 or 2 dead glowplugs.

Mine did the same when 2 glowplugs died.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline ausi30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
we had issues with our 2010 cw diesel and starting , over a 6 month period. long cranks to start. lots of white smoke..then the battery died(on the wife out doing some shopping - 32degrees) quick call to RACQ. New battery, no start issues and no more smoke(yet). Just took a while for battery to realise it was dying...

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Given that the glow plug light illuminates at every start, regardless of engine temperature, sounds like the battery was able to turn the engine, but not enough left for the glow plugs. Fixed, with a new battery.  :goodjob2:

Offline paul

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Brighton
Given that the glow plug light illuminates at every start, regardless of engine temperature, sounds like the battery was able to turn the engine, but not enough left for the glow plugs. Fixed, with a new battery.  :goodjob2:

The glow plugs should work BEFORE you crank the engine ????  :head_butt:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
My understanding is that the glow plugs heat b4 cranking and continue to function for a few seconds AFTER ignition to assist in very cold conditions.

Offline paul

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Brighton
My understanding is that the glow plugs heat b4 cranking and continue to function for a few seconds AFTER ignition to assist in very cold conditions.

That's true, they are on a timer, depends how long you leave them glowing, but it should still start when the light goes off.
what the hell, its fixed now so good. was the battery under warranty ?

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
The time the glow plugs glow depends on the engine temperature.

The glow plugs burns up to 30-45 seconds after the light goes off.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline panthersteve

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich, Qld
Leeroy, how did you get on with your problem, was it also the battery or was it the glow plugs ?

Cheers
Steve
  • 2010 SLX I30 Diesel Hatchback in Black

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal