i30 Owners Club

Buffetting???

pedro · 8 · 3120

Offline pedro

• 2nd Gear
Hi i was wondering if anybody else has experienced what is probably a major design flaw? At 70 - 100 kms/h put down 1 rear window 3/4 to all the way down. Ive had a little of this buffetting before in cars with sunroofs but never like this, it caused my passangers headaches almost straight away and myself i could almost feel my head pulsing! It probably wont bother me again now i know of it, and 99% of the time its just my partner and myself. Also the climate control is enough to keep me happy any way i just wanted to bring it up and get some other opinions.

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Hi Pedro,

Mate i wouldnt call it a major design flaw. I have never heard of a car not buffetting with one window down. Think about it. You have air rushing in through one window with nowhere to escape. Solution. There are two The easiest is to open a second window a little to allow the air an escape route. Alternatively, get yourself a set of weather shields. These allow you to open the window a bit to let in fresh air without it rushing in. ;)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Pedro...

I know what you mean but I have to concur with Eyma...

All of the late model cars I've had or driven don't seem to like a window part way down at speed (particularly a back one) It seriously effects the aerodynamics which seem pretty good on the i30 which seems to cope well with side winds and is remarkably quiet wind noise wise at highway speeds...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
Yeah I agree too, most newer cars do this.  One particularly bad is the new model Camry...

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I noticed it and put it down to the shape of the car for aerodynamics.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline pedro

• 2nd Gear
I suppose your right (this is the first "new" car ive bought) However all the other newer cars ive been in dont do it, ie falcommndore ect ect.

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria
My old VT Commodore was terrible at that with the passenger side rear window open - horrible buffeting! thankfully now in the i30 i have control of the window switches hehe

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Don't open windows as much now that I have air con.

Anyway the "lovely" weather (99.9% summer rain, rain, rain) in UK doesn't make you wont to open windows.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal