i30 Owners Club

Hyundai i30 - battery drain protection?

Offline Newbie88

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Yorkshire
Hi folks,

I am a complete newbie to the forum but I am turning to you in despair.

I have a 2011 registered i30 1.6 CDi and I love my car. However, I have one major issue - the battery.

With the keys in the ignition, and the engine turned off, I find that if I leave the headlights on for five minutes - or the radio on for maybe 15 minutes - then the car will not restart. The battery attempts to turn but fails. 

In the last twelve months I have called the AA rescue service out twice and I have also had the battery checked out twice during visits to my regular Hyundai dealer. However, instead of sorting out the problem I now find myself stuck between the two differing opinions of the AA and the garage.

The last time the battery would not turn over I parked the car up late at night and called the AA next morning. They said they would not need to come out as the battery would turn over if restarted - which it did. They say it is a known and identified issue with Hyundai batteries and the AA are aware that Hyundai cars have a protection mechanism like this to stop the batter being drained.

Each time the garage checks the batter it is at full voltage and holding charge OK. They also say that they know nothing of this portection mechanism.

Please also note that simply leaving the keys in the ignition with nothing operating will have the same effect of draining the battery over ten minutes.

Is it me. Is it the battery. Is it the garage. Is it the AA.  Well actually, the AA have been correct on three occasions as I have tried their theory twice since - leaving the lights and radio on for five minutes, car does not restart, leave for three hours and then hey presto the car restarts.

My warranty runs out next month and I am desperate to get some help.

Any suggestions or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Chris
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 08:02:24 by Newbie88 »
  • i30 1.6 CDi

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Never heard of this problem, sounds like a job for @cruiserfied
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Sounds like a catcus battery
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I would suggest it is almost certainly the battery.

If I were in your shoes I would buy a new major brand one whilst you have warranty left. If the problem returns you can be sure it's the car and get the dealer to look into it.

Batteries don't last for ever and if it is the original one, you would be faced with replacing it soon anyway ..
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Welcome from HOCGB..

If you have a go using the search function you may come across posts which may give you some pointers.

Having a quick check I see there are a few post re draining battery but nothing as specific as your issue.

If the battery is the original, 5 years old, doing what Alanho suggests will at least either confirm or otherwise the battery.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Newbie88

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Yorkshire
Hi folks,

Thank you for all the assistance.  I will speak with the garage for the MOT at the end of this week. Could I please ask if anyone could recommend a good battery for me to purchase if one is needed?

Thank you
  • i30 1.6 CDi

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal