i30 Owners Club

Replacing headunit with double din face plate

Offline Hannah94

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, QLD
Hey guys!

Just wondering if anyone has any info on replacing the head unit with a double din face plate. I have 2 6inch speakers, a sub, and an amp to go in. Other than a steering harness and an amp wiring kit, what other things will I need?

I own the 2014 i30 turbo diesel trophy edition.

Thanks in advance!
  • Hyundai i30 2014 turbo diesel trophy edition

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Hannah (nice choice of motor) I can't help with your query but I'm sure others can. :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Hey, Hannah, smart choice of car. Sounds like you're looking to option up bits that aren't in your model, or are you swapping bits out? Ebay has a few examples I've seen mentioned here before. Some photos of your situation - and your car, for that matter - would be welcome. :goodjob:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Jesse91

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Hyundai I30 1.6L SLX
You'll have to buy a facia kit like this http://www.ryda.com.au/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=FP7300

You will it requies a bit of modification and hacking to fit it a dremel will be your best friend. All other facia kits that you see for sale on ebay and that that are a one piece thing are for LHD cars and I have read many people say they do not fit correctly in RHD models, plus you will lose your "cubby hole" pocket on top.

I've never understood the need for subs in a car unless you like to use your car as a sound system at a party
  • Hyundai i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
You'll have to buy a facia kit like this http://www.ryda.com.au/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=FP7300

You will it requies a bit of modification and hacking to fit it a dremel will be your best friend. All other facia kits that you see for sale on ebay and that that are a one piece thing are for LHD cars and I have read many people say they do not fit correctly in RHD models, plus you will lose your "cubby hole" pocket on top.

I've never understood the need for subs in a car unless you like to use your car as a sound system at a party
That is for an FD model modification, the OP's car is a GD "2014"

Offline Jesse91

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Hyundai I30 1.6L SLX
Ahhh thanks for that! I just read the trophy part and assumed it was an FD, I didn't realise the GD's used that badge too. Just goes to show how much I don't know about the GDs
  • Hyundai i30

Offline ryangus

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
It seems the ryda.com.au aren't stocking anything.  eBay shows these sort of fascia replacements :link: Radio Fascia FOR Hyundai I30 Facia Trim Installation Surround CD Dash Plate KIT | eBay.  Not sure how hard a job it is.

I'll probably be looking at doing this mod sooner or later, to at least add Bluetooth capability and hopefully find a unit that is Android Auto (:link: Android Auto) compatible.

• 2007 SLX CRDi

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
When buying one of these dash fascia panels, just be aware that they may be for left hand drive vehicles, Ryan...  :undecided:

Offline ryangus

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
When buying one of these dash fascia panels, just be aware that they may be for left hand drive vehicles, Ryan...  :undecided:
What's the difference? :confused:
  • 2007 SLX CRDi

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
The centre fascia panel is slightly skewed towards the driver...

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
And the steering wheel is on the wrong side.  :mrgreen:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Anyway getting back to the OP topic (I notice they haven't logged in since) - for anyone who might stumble on this by search.   The OP's car is a GD (2nd Gen) body type - most of the posts related to the older FD body (1st Gen).

For the GD - fitting an after market 2DIN head-unit - will require a 2DIN fascia plate.   In the GD the OEM radio 'face' makes up that section of the center dash console fascia - which is great as (with the OEM unit removed) you can simply 'drop in' a replacement fascia with a 2DIN hole in it.   These are currently readily available, for a variety of prices, on the net - search for something like 'Hyundai i30 GD GD2 Double Din Radio Facia' or 2012+ instead of GD GD2.   In the GD the face of the OEM unit is not skewed - so LHD/RHD isn't an issue (if there is any skew it from the console frame - allowing the fascia parts to be universal).   As indicated above, in the FD, this was an issue - see bottom.

Regards to wiring the GD body type doesn't use the :link: Connectors for car audio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia std - though many aftermarket head-units do (but the std is not strictly followed by manufacturers - e.g. Battery/Memory power and Ignition/Switched power connections maybe swapped, etc.).  I don't know what std (if any) the 'side-by-side' plug setup Hyundai uses is - vendors on the net sell wiring adapters, however often these only cover 'basic' functionality (connections on A/B connectors only - leaving out most/all optional pins in connector A)... which maybe all that is needed.  Searching for GD-01 and GD-02 pinouts (there are some on the forum) may assist in determining what connections are available to the head-unit - but using them, if a basic adapter doesn't cut it and s non-basic adapter can't be found, may require modding the car's wiring loom (chopping off the OEM plugs and connecting the wires to the plugs for the after-market unit).

The mounts from the OEM unit may 'just work' on the after-market unit - if the holes line up.

------

N.B.: FD fascia - In the FDs the center dash console fascia was a single piece which fitted over and around the OEM unit face, and had the environment controls and other buttons mounted to it.  There were two options: Replace it (as indicated) with an (after-market) 2DIN version - but that could run into the 'skew' issue.  The other option was (also as indicated) to fit a 'trim adapter' which involved taking a dremel (or similar cutting tool) to the OEM centre dash console and then fitting a thin plastic surround that covered the cutting.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I found a replacement fascia for the GD if still interested, also comes with screen bezel for different screen sizes :link: GPS Dash Center Fascia Integrated Audio FOR Hyundai 2012 2015 NEW I30 | eBay

It is fine for left or right hand drive vehicles, the GD doesn't have an offset centre dash.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal