i30 Owners Club

Fitting aftermarket trip computer to my 2010 i30cw trophy

skipper · 10 · 3540

Offline skipper

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sunshine Coast, QLD
Hi guys.

I was reading a few topics about retrofitting of CC (add buttons, new wires, voila), enabling HALO, ... and I got and idea about trip computer. Mine (2010 i30cw trophy) currently doesn't have functionality of trip computer, but according to mentioned topics, everything (hardware related) in in the car, so I'm guessing, it only needs to be enabled in software... The screen in the dashboard is the same (if I look closely I can see, that it's capable of showing l/100km). As the car also has OBDII, you can get that that via bluetooth OBDII reader and display it on your phone, so the hardware is definitely there.

I'd think dealer wouldn't admit, that it might be as simple as just to turn the function on. Off course I could be wrong :)
Is there any way (with any non original hyundai dealer scanner) to be able to change variables in ECU?

Cheers
  • i30 CW Trophy

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
I haven't done anything like that yet - however a couple of other members have done some tuning both parts and ECU programming.

At least for the GD (and I am assuming likewise for the FD e.g. 2010) body types they report the OBDII port is fairly locked down in regards to what it can change.   Engine tuning requires removing the ECU (or unplugging from car harness at least) for programming each time.

So it could be as simple as OBDII connection; or maybe not.   Not sure who would know outright on the forum how this could be done.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline hneel

• 2nd Gear

• nl Netherlands
      Dinteloord
My previous car was a Volkswagen and for those cars there exists a program called VCDS (previously named Vagcom). That program could change a lot of settings and log a lot of data through the OBD2 port. I wonder if there's a similar program for Hyundai.
  • i30 1.6 crdi 2009

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
My previous car was a Volkswagen and for those cars there exists a program called VCDS (previously named Vagcom). That program could change a lot of settings and log a lot of data through the OBD2 port. I wonder if there's a similar program for Hyundai.

I think there are generic "apps" that work with Bluetooth Dongles but have never actually used one myself. There are a couple of different dongles. One is called scan something (check on your local ebay)

There are threads on here, but nothing that recent.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline skipper

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sunshine Coast, QLD
I've just ordered Delphi DS150e and another ELM327. I don't expect much from the little Bluetooth one apart from getting real time data to my phone (trip computer and black box functionality) but am putting high hopes on Delphi.
I've got the Hyundai GDS as well, but it needs 30Gb of free space on windows xp computer and my old one's got 40Gb disk (curently only 22Gb free - I've got Peugeot and Citroen diagnostics installed), so have to clean install windows xp and then GDS. Will see...if GDS can't do it, then the only way would be to remove the ecu and reverse engineer the software  :crazy1:
  • i30 CW Trophy

Offline skipper

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sunshine Coast, QLD
One more thing.
I've enabled the temp on my FD-01 radio unit (as per this post) and am getting -40C readings. I investigated further and came across this. Look at the table: higher the resistance, lower the temp. -40 is probably the lowest, the computer can show, so if there is no temp sensor fitted (highest possible resistance  :whistler:), it would show the lowest temp. I checked the area, and as I expected, I don't have temp sensors, but do have two horns :)
I'll try to unwrap the wires to see, whether there are at least wires for temp sensors there, so it could be retrofitted easily.

Cheers
  • i30 CW Trophy

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
I've just ordered Delphi DS150e and another ELM327. I don't expect much from the little Bluetooth one apart from getting real time data to my phone (trip computer and black box functionality) but am putting high hopes on Delphi.
I've got the Hyundai GDS as well, but it needs 30Gb of free space on windows xp computer and my old one's got 40Gb disk (curently only 22Gb free - I've got Peugeot and Citroen

In regards to installing the GDS - visualization maybe? Install and run a copy of XP in it.  Of course should the GDS need to speak to hardware to talk to vehicles then that might not be an option.

diagnostics installed), so have to clean install windows xp and then GDS. Will see...if GDS can't do it, then the only way would be to remove the ecu and reverse engineer the software  :crazy1:

Uh huh! OEM ECUs (used) can be on ebay for reasonable prices.

Apparently pulling hair out may have already happened in this regard... one of the members had his ECU tuned (and other stuff) at his local performance company.   Because of the 'lock-down' issue and few, if any, GDs having been ECU tuned the modifications to parameters in the ECU data was done by a company in the EU - modifying images of the ECU data, which were then sent back and flashed to ECU... dyno testing done, results sent back, more changes made, repeat - at some point the EU guys wanted to call it a day.  The performance company wouldn't let them.

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
A while ago I learnt something interesting about the ELM327 units - many are simply pirated clones of V1.0 that was made by the IP holder (they didn't use the inbuilt PIC copy protection - so it could be simply read out of the PIC.  That isn't the only way stuff can read but it is the easiest and doesn't involve techniques such as 'shaving').  Some of them have the version number fudged so it appears to be the latest.   Which is now v2.1

The actual IP owner, and manufacturer of the code and programmed chips, is :link: Elm Electronics - OBD ICs

Bit about the cloning :link: ELM327 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
So did your i30cw (2010 IIRC) come with the FD-01 fitted? or did you add it?

You may have already found it in one of the topics here - there is a set formula for the FD-01 PIN security code (should you ever loose the security code).

Offline h20melon

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong
Just reading this post.

Last year I bought a "ScanGauge e". It is a small device that plugs into the OBD II port and mounts anywhere via cable. I have mine on the dash. It shows everything including trip, fuel, etc.. I have recently been using to to monitor voltage as I'm looking at putting a dual battery setup in my CW. I'm happy with it and is quite accurate compared with my manual calculations.

I have GDS on my workshop computer which is running Windows 10. Runs fine, but I don't have it contecting to the car though.

I also have an ELM device, but have notice that sometimes it is hit and miss. Sometimes it connects to phone, sometimes it won't. Some apps aren't accurate too when comparing them.  Dunno though.
  • 2011 i30cw CRDi Manual

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal