i30 Owners Club

Connecting the antenna amplifier to an aftermarket head unit

Offline walkingbass

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Hi everyone,  long time listener, first time caller  :)

Thanks to this awesome board, I've been able to install a Pioneer AVH-X3600DAB to my wife's 2008 FD I30. I've got most of the bits worked out (will need help later with DAB antenna). However, I've got an issue with poor AM/FM reception.

As outlined in a previous post, this is probably because I need to connect the antenna amp to my new head unit. I've also seen the FD-01 pinout - I have a PA710, but the pinouts should be similar. However, I'm not sure which pin corresponds to the amp.

I've tried to work this out on my own,  but have hit the wall. Sorry if I've missed something obvious. Thanks!
  • i30 FD 2008

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
:welcum: Sorry I can't help, but some one who can may be along shortly...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
This has a few radios but yours should be listed. Hope it helps

There is hidden content here which only members can see. Please Login or Register.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline walkingbass

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Thanks Dazzler and Phil!

My radio is either the 2nd or 3rd - main difference is the external amp, and I'm not sure if ours has one. However, it looks like the wire I want is the same no matter what. I'll look at it tomorrow morning and report back!

Thanks again!  :goodjob:

• i30 FD 2008

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
AFAIK the external audio amp - last device shown in the document - was only fitted with PA-760 headunits (which could take 6? CDs). Which would be the third headunit as it has lines for the external amp.  Also I recognise the heatsink on the 2nd as being that of the PA-710.

I am not sure the PA-760 does any audio amplification - nor how the external audio amp would handle amplified input (e.g. Impedance mismatch) from a PA-710 or other headunit - assuming such got fitted in an amplifier equipped i30 which then had the external amp powered separately.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline walkingbass

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Thanks for the info!

I had a look, and I could find the line, but not the second line that supplies the 12V. I don't know if that is the unit, or it is because I am using the Hyundai to ISO -> ISO to pioneer adaptor cables.

I guess at the moment I'm looking to either get an inline antenna booster, a new antenna, or hook up the DAB antenna. Unfortunately, I'll probably need help with all of these.

Anyone had any luck with an antenna booster or fitting a different antenna?
  • i30 FD 2008

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal