Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Great video and WELL DONE!! :D :D
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

chanraymond
Hi guys, I happened to be at Toodyay yesterday. Taken some pics and are now at Random pics :)

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,3788.0.html

Offline Razy

• 2nd Gear

You've also proven what I have yet to have the guts to do....... get the tail sliding out without using the hand brake*! Not bad for a FWD car!

I tried using the handbrake last year but it is slowing down the car too much. This year I did not use it at all, it was a bit hard to get to it because of the bucket seats and left foot braking works a lot better anyway, especially if it is slippery (like the 9 left corner in the video).

I don't think you should try it on the road, mainly because the standard i30 diesel will cut the throttle as soon as you get on the brakes so you can not pull the front out of the corner. I did spin it the first time I tried, so this year we modified the wiring so the ECU does not know when the brakes are activated.

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia

You've also proven what I have yet to have the guts to do....... get the tail sliding out without using the hand brake*! Not bad for a FWD car!

I tried using the handbrake last year but it is slowing down the car too much. This year I did not use it at all, it was a bit hard to get to it because of the bucket seats and left foot braking works a lot better anyway, especially if it is slippery (like the 9 left corner in the video).

I don't think you should try it on the road, mainly because the standard i30 diesel will cut the throttle as soon as you get on the brakes so you can not pull the front out of the corner. I did spin it the first time I tried, so this year we modified the wiring so the ECU does not know when the brakes are activated.

Yea I don't have any intentions on doing so, whilst I'm 21 and sometimes like a spirited drive I look down on people who 'hoon'

Also did you end up getting an ECU edit or not? I remember you mentioning that you wanted it not just for the performance but to limit the car to 130km/h

Regards

Daniel

Offline Razy

• 2nd Gear

Also did you end up getting an ECU edit or not? I remember you mentioning that you wanted it not just for the performance but to limit the car to 130km/h

Regards

Daniel

Yes, I did get the ECU reflashed by Martin at DW Tuning but only to get more power/torque. A friend build a custom speed limiter for the car, which uses the speedo signal and then taps into the electronic throttle when the cut off speed is reached. It is also adjustable on the go, and it worked really well!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
We had a Targa West 09 highlight Vid on telly here in Tas yesterday I only caught and recorded the second half  :'(

Not one picture or mention of Razy and the i30 (except in the results)

Did anyone else see it from the start (wee Razy and the i30 mntioned at all?)

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline reecho

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Vlad who provided the in car video gear for the competitors??

ouri30
We had a Targa West 09 highlight Vid on telly here in Tas yesterday I only caught and recorded the second half  :'(

Saw the whole thing in SA yesterday and never saw an i30 or any mention of it, other than seeing it in the results displayed on screen with one audio comment right at the end.  You have to be a Nissan Syline driver, a classic car driver, Mitsubisho Lancer driver, a Subaru, etc or you don't get to figure in the television special. 

Bob

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
Seen in the local rag here the wowsers have been wingeing their little hearts out and the council is considering not allowing the rally to be staged in Chittering from now on.  Apparently not being able to leave their houses for a few hours on one weekend is enough for them to spoil everyone else's fun.  Also they are whining about wildlife getting killed (like it doesnt every other day) and environmental impact.  I seen a few weeks ago a similar rant about Rally Australia, and apparently one flight from NY to London uses more fuel and emits more CO2 than the entire F1 season.

F1
24 drivers
75lt/100km
300km race
24 x 75 x 3 =  5400lt.

Lets say testing, qualifying etc - lets double it - 10800lt per event.  There are 17 rounds, 183600lt for a season.

747 New York to London
12lt per kilometer
5570km = 66840lt

I'm sure that the Jet would use more than this as 12lt/km is cruising economy, not including takeoff, taxi and landing.  Anyway 2-3 flights would be about the same fuel usage as the entire F1 season.  I wonder if these idiots ever use a plane themselves?  It really gets up my goat these people get on their environmental high-horse when I bet they consume as much as everyone else without even knowing it.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
the fun police strike again. :exclaim: :mad:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Bob.. You're right.. At least I didn't miss anything..

Good point LD...  :rolleyes:

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria

Saw the whole thing in SA yesterday and never saw an i30 or any mention of it, other than seeing it in the results displayed on screen with one audio comment right at the end.  You have to be a Nissan Syline driver, a classic car driver, Mitsubisho Lancer driver, a Subaru, etc or you don't get to figure in the television special. 

Bob

Yeah, I was so ticked off - was watching it keenly to see the little hatch roar through. They only showed the barest glimpse :(

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
I'm in Melbourne and it wasn't even on down here. :rolleyes: :mad:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear
  • queenslands most feminine

• au Australia
      Gympie

• thunder wishes it could be the snow
    • My Fuelly
congrats on the third place win!  :D

the little i30 hopefully will get more media attention for the next time
  • SR AUTO 2.0 Petrol Hatch

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia

Bob

Yeah, I was so ticked off - was watching it keenly to see the little hatch roar through. They only showed the barest glimpse :(

I saw one image image of it parked at the start of the show in amongst the other cars.

No attention was brought to it at all except in the results board where footage was displayed in the background behind the results board.

I was very disappointed seeing as other cars from the Modern Challenge that placed lower (Holden Clubsport, WRX) were shown. Very disappointing indeed.

Another case of badge snobbery I suspect........ When will they learn?

I'm guessing they were really hoping for something bad to happen so they could show that.

Regards

Daniel

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'm guessing they were really hoping for something bad to happen so they could show that.

Regards

Daniel

Very frustrating! Reckon Razy would be disappointed too...

Offline Razy

• 2nd Gear
Vlad who provided the in car video gear for the competitors??

I'm not sure, but the actual cameras were POV 1.5s from what I remember (the same with the one that I am using).

Offline Razy

• 2nd Gear
Yes, the TV coverage is never fair. There are three things that can get you on telly: a crash, a very expensive car or some money directed at the TV station. Results are not important (neither us or the guys who placed second in Challenge got any coverage). The TV crew covering the rallies does not know much about it anyway, so they just show a few flash cars and big crashes - the producer knowsh who paid for coverage, so they make it too.

We didn't fit any of the three criteria, so no i30 on the telly this year.

I hope the fun police don't get their way and cancel the Chittering stages, they are really nice and I think it is an excellent way for the shire to attract visitors. I do understand that closing the roads is a nuissance for the locals, but the organisers go a long way to minimise this - they do have emergency vehicles available in case somebody really has to go out. And as far as the environmental damage - no wildlife was harmed in the 5 years of Targa so far and the CO2 emissions are probably less than a flight between Melbourne and Perth.

I was an official at Rally Australia last month and most locals were really happy to have such a big event coming their way, apart from a few that decided to throw rocks at the rally cars - a shame considering that some countries put a huge budget together to bring the rally to their place.

I consider myself an environmentalist, I do work in this field too, but all must be treated with a bit of judgement. After all, what good is a long life if you don't get to enjoy any of it?

Bob

I saw one image image of it parked at the start of the show in amongst the other cars.

No attention was brought to it at all except in the results board where footage was displayed in the background behind the results board.

I was very disappointed seeing as other cars from the Modern Challenge that placed lower (Holden Clubsport, WRX) were shown. Very disappointing indeed.

Regards

Daniel

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Congratulations Razy, outstanding effort!
Sad but true about TV coverage .
Razy interesting to see you useing what look to be 15" wheels with large profile tyres, is this for better traction?
also what shocks and springs are you useing? and are you useing stock brakes ? also have you had any engine mods?
thanks, i enjoy looking at the pic's and Video's

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal