i30 Owners Club

Fish n Chips price hike!!

Lakes · 18 · 2603

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Hey all, well stopped to get fish n chips near Marina. had been there a lot of times normally great & $10 eat there in open air near water.
Well I go in & another customer just buying fresh cooked prawns to take away. I had not meet the guy behind counter before, but he was friendly.
I said Fish n Chips, he said to take away or eat here? I said here thanks, he seemed to be having difficulty working out the price, then tell's me $27 .... ( this is just a lunch time thing, like a bush picnic ) I looked at him a second time & said, what did I order? Fish n Chips? he said yes, so I said how many fish did I order? he said about two, then he said this is not a take away place, he seemed to think it had moved up in class, but looked same to me. so I said I'll give it a miss, he said ok. so I went down the road got same thing $10 & was a good feed ( for lunch ).
what do you guys normally pay?

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
 :crazy1:
Usually  $10-12 covers it, you know the places. Jesus, business's complain about doing it tough especially after the fires and then pull.that BS  :crazy1:
A couple of restaurant type places charge more like the $27, but I  usually avoid those unless doing dinner.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
:crazy1:
Usually  $10-12 covers it, you know the places. Jesus, business's complain about doing it tough especially after the fires and then pull.that BS  :crazy1:
A couple of restaurant type places charge more like the $27, but I  usually avoid those unless doing dinner.

Mick think this guy just took the business over, there is a good restaurant at the Marina called JJ's, a proper Restaurant & good cooks & service. this place out the back of there & looks like a converted shipping container, but have always sold fresh seafood, only cooked Friday sat & Sunday ,  there is plenty of other good fish n chip & seafood places not far from it  & an Oyster Bar owned by local Oyster farmer that have fair prices & really fresh , oysters fish prawns so on.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
If anything there is downward pressure on fish, particularly shellfish prices at the moment because China is not buying much due to the virus and also less Asian tourists about.. so $10 to $12 seems fair.

When in Eden NSW a few months back one restaurant wanted high 20's for eat in fish we went next door and almost half that price.  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
£3 fish here and £1.60 large chips and it's usually shite everywhere you go, but for $9 what can you say?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
My local chippy charge

£3.90 for large and I mean large which will do 2.
Or
£2.90 for small fish
Both cod or haddock.

Chips £1.60 for regular
Or
£1.90 for large, enough for 3, yes 3.

Don't for get the curry sauce at 90p per pot.

Take away price.

There is a sit in chippy on my bike ride and they charge, I think, an additional £1 on top of take away price to sit in.
Prices similar to local chippy.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
We have given up buying fish and chips unless we go to a decent restaurant and pay for quality.

our local chippies charge about £7 for fish and chips. You get a large cod in batter that goes soggy within minutes and greasy floppy chips.

At home, we have two deep fat fryers installed in the garage. I am not allowed to use them in the kitchen. For some reason Libby prefers the pong of scented air fresheners in the rooms rather that the wonderful aroma of cooked fish and chips pervading the house.

Our home fried fish is succulent and has (gum cutting) crispy batter that stays crisp to the last delicious crumb and McCains home fries which also are crisp when deep fried in sunflower seed oil. With a helping of marrowfat peas it makes a lovely meal.

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I like our local foreshore fish an chips "Dhuey's", Shark and chips $11 or choice of Barramundi - Snapper - Whiting and chips for $13, always crispy and enough for two people :bbq1:

Goldband Snapper or Coral Trout and chips is a little more expensive at $17

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: AlanHo
We have given up buying fish and chips ...

No wonder the newspaper industry is dying :snigger:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

After reading the latest comments I'm definitely having fish and chips at a nice restaurant at Boat Harbour  :happydance:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Fish and chips for me tonight in Hastings St Noosa
Probably close to  $20 but half that down my end of the Sunshine Coast  normally.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
We have given up buying fish and chips unless we go to a decent restaurant and pay for quality.

our local chippies charge about £7 for fish and chips. You get a large cod in batter that goes soggy within minutes and greasy floppy chips.

At home, we have two deep fat fryers installed in the garage. I am not allowed to use them in the kitchen. For some reason Libby prefers the pong of scented air fresheners in the rooms rather that the wonderful aroma of cooked fish and chips pervading the house.

Our home fried fish is succulent and has (gum cutting) crispy batter that stays crisp to the last delicious crumb and McCains home fries which also are crisp when deep fried in sunflower seed oil. With a helping of marrowfat peas it makes a lovely meal.

Alan, I remember you mentioned, you have to cook fish in the garage. when I cook fish here I use the Bar B Q on balcony ( unless it's raining ) I mostly grill Atlantic Solmon,  most of fish & chips for $10 to $12 are ok, but no table service, no difference in the fish or how well it is cooked, all you pay for is table service , then it's over $20. but that guy who wanted $27 was not giving table service & did not even tell me what type of fish,  like say if it was a grilled John Dory I could understand.

Probably close to  $20 but half that down my end of the Sunshine Coast  normally.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

I've had some nice meals in Hastings Street Noosa!

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I like our local foreshore fish an chips "Dhuey's", Shark and chips $11 or choice of Barramundi - Snapper - Whiting and chips for $13, always crispy and enough for two people :bbq1:

Goldband Snapper or Coral Trout and chips is a little more expensive at $17

That sounds like good eating!!

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Quote from: AlanHo
We have given up buying fish and chips ...

No wonder the newspaper industry is dying :snigger:

Steve I remember here Fish n Chips always came wrapped in news print.
but these day'd its whit unprinted paper, I'll have to complain next time!!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Ok so had our fish and chips at a restaurant overlooking one of the most beautiful beaches in Australia at Boat Harbour Tasmania.  $23 each but got one for free on my Entertainment App, so total bill $31 including 2 x lemon, lime and bitters. Beat that!

Stunning beach

Big yummy serves of Crumbed Flathead Fillets...

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Looks good Dazz :goodjob2: now I'm salivating for Fish & Chips tonight after looking at that...and I've already defrosted the Pork Chops :head_knock:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Ok so had our fish and chips at a restaurant overlooking one of the most beautiful beaches in Australia at Boat Harbour Tasmania.  $23 each but got one for free on my Entertainment App, so total bill $31 including 2 x lemon, lime and bitters. Beat that!

Stunning beach

Big yummy serves of Crumbed Flathead Fillets...

Hmm, that's just been put on the list   :goodjob:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal