i30 Owners Club

Brake light bulbs

Offline Dazzalad

• 1st Gear

• england England
      Ipswich
Hello all my i30 blue drive has four rear bulbs all the same for rear lights and break the out side ones work on tail and break and the inner ones on the tailgate are on tail light only this is when parked on drive do the inner ones work once the cars moving for beak
I want to upgrade the four to led but don’t want to waste money if there’s a fault or am I missing something
  • I30 blue drive

Offline buff

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      South Australia
Don't know the year or model you have but on my PD I30 the outer light is a duel filament P21/5W lamp and will do both the Brake and Tail light were the inner (Tail gate light) is a single filament W5W lamp and is tail light only.
I updated my lamps to LEDs and found I needed to put in a Diode to make sure the lights worked as normal. (Inserting Diode)

Hope this helps
  • 2017 PD i30 Elite, Diesel 1.6lt, DCT, Iron Grey

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
If your car is a bluedrive then I presume it is the GD version, 2012 onwards? On my 2015 car the rear lights are on a CAN bus wiring system. I don't know if changing the bulbs to LED will upset it, because the local CAN controller in the light cluster checks the bulbs are working and will flag up an alarm on the dashboard if they're not. If it does this by detecting current through the bulb, changing to an LED type will reduce the current and this may be mis-interpreted as a failed bulb. On my own car, which I've had for 2 1/2 years, I don't recall having to replace any bulbs. In contrast, I had lots of bulb failures on my previous car which was a 2011 i30 with a conventional wiring harness.
  • i30 CRD

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hello all my i30 blue drive has four rear bulbs all the same for rear lights and break the out side ones work on tail and break and the inner ones on the tailgate are on tail light only this is when parked on drive do the inner ones work once the cars moving for beak
I want to upgrade the four to led but don’t want to waste money if there’s a fault or am I missing something

Love to help , but by 'break' do you mean they are broken?

My car has brake lights, I'm confused.  :eek:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
I wouldn't put LED bulbs in the brake lights.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal