i30 Owners Club

Diesel prices cheaper than petrol right now?

Lakes · 26 · 6682

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
hi all, i bought BP Ultimate Diesel @ $1.29.9 & same servo on the day was saleing e10 @ $1.44 & 98 Ultimate $1.60
wonder how long this will last i see diesel has gon up 4cent per Lt down south coast

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Diesel is cheaper than Unleaded down here too,  at the moment, but only by a few cents... :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
down here on south coast NSW it is $1.33 for the normal diesel in Sydney it's $1.29 for premium diesel 98 Ultimate petrol down here $1.58 normal unload here about same as diesel .

Offline Mulag

• 2nd Gear

• hr Croatia
      Velika Gorica
Here in europe is normally that is disel cheaper than unleaded.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: Mulag
Here in europe is normally that is disel cheaper than unleaded.

Don't speak for all of Europe... here, diesel is significantly more than unleaded :(
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Just been to top up with unleaed at 116.9ppl

Diesel was 121.9ppl
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
Yup, here in Holland the diesel has always been way cheaper than petrol, but the road tax is 50% more expensive (for LPG it's 100% !!!!)
  • 2015 i30 GO! 1.6 GDi 5d Hatch, 6MT, Phantom Black

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
Petrol and Diesel prices are rising slowly again. Went this morning for a top up at Tesco's £1.19 per litre but got 6 pence off per litre.
  • 2013 5D 1.6 CRDi Style Nav auto white

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Ours stable at around $1.41.9 less 4c at Woolies garages.. for the last few weeks.

There is a big fuel price inquiry underway at the moment as regional areas are unreasonably inflated compared to the larger capital cities.  :goodjob2:

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I don't look at the price.  Just hand over my card and sign.  I need the job more than the extra few cents in my pocket. 

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero

I don't look at the price.  Just hand over my card and sign.  I need the job more than the extra few cents in my pocket.
Same here. Fill every week first morning after pay. Brim the tank pay the money, whatever it costs, done for another week.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
That's why i don't like plastic $ unless it's someone else's i'm using  :lol:
but when you count your own cash out , if you own a thirsty beast, you start living in your wallet  :lol:
cheers LPG cheap then diesel then 6 cents E10 the 8 cents more unlead premium was about 15 to 20 cents more that was in sydney this week

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Just read in paper NSW petrol prices to go up to around 17cent p l around friday that will put e10 up to $1.50 not sure about diesel & only said effects NSW as something to do with Singapore pricing think now we don't have a refinery in NSW anymore  :disapp:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Well update, I'm in Sydney & have seen diesel @ 1.17 pl e10 @ 1.15 pl @ I got BP ultimate Diesel @ 1.22 pl love it but can't see how as as $ went south but love it.

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
The oil price has been very low (as low as $38 per barrel) which has helped the price of fuel stay relatively low compared to the Australian dollar diving.

There are more things in the price of fuel at the bowser than the direct cost of crude oil per barrel, such as refining costs, transport costs, wages of staff, exchange rates. 

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Well update, I'm in Sydney & have seen diesel @ 1.17 pl e10 @ 1.15 pl @ I got BP ultimate Diesel @ 1.22 pl love it but can't see how as as $ went south but love it.

Slowly creeping down here in Tassie (but we are still being gouged .) :Pout:

Just filled up at $1.36.9 less  4c fuel docket. Certainly been cushioning the switch from Hybrid to V6

I'm using about 50% more fuel but probably only spending 25% more than I was with the Hybrid (when the fuel prices were closer to $1.60 p/l).  :goodjob:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Fuel is at better prices here lately, filled up mine with V-Power last Friday for $1.32 per ltr and the girlfriends car with normal unleaded for $1.09 per ltr.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Dazz I use around double the a out of fuel per 100k now as in my i30 CRDi 6 speed manual days was 4.5l to 5.4 per 100k but these day's it's 8.5 to. 9.5 but the little truck has a high lift kit OME was on it has a steel ARB bull B bigger steel wheels than stock but only single cab alloy tray so push's more wind would jolt the fillings out your teeth  :lol: but she is my ute, never let me down yet, & $45 a service I supply Valvoline Super Diesel n Rico filters so cheap to service. Touch wood.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Dazz I use around double the a out of fuel per 100k now as in my i30 CRDi 6 speed manual days was 4.5l to 5.4 per 100k but these day's it's 8.5 to. 9.5 but the little truck has a high lift kit OME was on it has a steel ARB bull B bigger steel wheels than stock but only single cab alloy tray so push's more wind would jolt the fillings out your teeth  :lol: but she is my ute, never let me down yet, & $45 a service I supply Valvoline Super Diesel n Rico filters so cheap to service. Touch wood.

Yep, I'm happy with the Calais (3 years free servicing offsets the extra fuel a bit considering I'm needing two services a year.) :goodjob:

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
Diesel is still more expensive in Newcastle
  • 2013 Hyundai i30 GD Active 1.6 L, 6 Speed Automatic, Diesel

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Well one year on & Diesel prices still low, i managed to buy mobile diesel @ $1.02 this is 300k south of Sydney ( and it is good fuel as have used this servo a lot ) normally i would expect the price to be say 10 cents higher down here. but last time oil was $36us a barrel diesel & petrol was a lot cheaper & you still got a barrel of oil for $36.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Well one year on & Diesel prices still low, i managed to buy mobile diesel @ $1.02 this is 300k south of Sydney ( and it is good fuel as have used this servo a lot ) normally i would expect the price to be say 10 cents higher down here. but last time oil was $36us a barrel diesel & petrol was a lot cheaper & you still got a barrel of oil for $36.

The excessive use of helicopters by Politicians is keeping the price up (and Jamie in a job....) :whistler:

Offline h20melon

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong
I bought diesel for 92.9 cents per litre last week from the local servo in Warilla, just south of Wollongomg NSW :)
  • 2011 i30cw CRDi Manual

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

The excessive use of helicopters by Politicians is keeping the price up (and Jamie in a job....) :whistler:

It's funny, isn't it.  The world jumps up and down when a conservative politician charters a helicopter to visit their constituents, but nobody raises and eyebrow when Christine Milne and Bob Brown charter a helicopter in Tasmania to overfly tree sitters (where a fixed wing aircraft could do the same thing).  I do know this from first hand experience with charter helicopters in Tasmania.

Offline Cluster2

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide, SA
In Australia, the Terminal Gate Price is a pretty good indicator of how petrol prices should relate to diesel.

:link: AIP - Terminal Gate Prices

Right now diesel is marginally cheaper, but at the retail level here in Adelaide petrol was stuck at $1.27/L for almost 2 weeks while diesel was $1.06 to $1.09.

A couple of places in north Adelaide sell diesel for 99.5c/L while Costco (as ever) leads the pack on petrol at $1.027.

By the way, to any Aussies here check out Woolworths' eGift cards.  They're available through cashrewards.com.au at 5% discount, so you always get 5% off Woolworths/Caltex Vortex Premium diesel.  The cards are purchased on credit card too, so you get your frequent flyer points too or any other goodies.
  • i30 GD4 Active 1.6 CDRi 7 speed DCT

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

It's funny, isn't it.  The world jumps up and down when a conservative politician charters a helicopter to visit their constituents, but nobody raises and eyebrow when Christine Milne and Bob Brown charter a helicopter in Tasmania to overfly tree sitters (where a fixed wing aircraft could do the same thing).  I do know this from first hand experience with charter helicopters in Tasmania.

Ain't that the truth. 
  • Tertius the i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal