i30 Owners Club

Belt Auto Tensioner Bolt Size.

nbat58 · 12 · 4060

Offline nbat58

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Derby
Hi all,

Does anyone know the mm size of the two bolts holding the belt auto tensioner in place?

I can see the top bolt, which looks like maybe a 14mm, can't see the one on the left or bottom, it seems that I might have to remove the idler pulley to remove the tensioner.

Can anyone confirm?
  • Kia Cee'd 2 ED 1.6 CRDI SW D4FB Silver

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hi all,

Does anyone know the mm size of the two bolts holding the belt auto tensioner in place?

I can see the top bolt, which looks like maybe a 14mm, can't see the one on the left or bottom, it seems that I might have to remove the idler pulley to remove the tensioner.

Can anyone confirm?
I can't see what you see so here we go.

The mounts are 12mm, on the tensioner arm it should have a hex head as part of it's moulding, that,'s 14mm you use that to move the arm and you can rotate it to the fully compressed position and 2 holes line up which you can insert a metal pin, drill bit , allen key etc  say 3mm and lock it in place. This is how you would get the new one and makes installation of the new belt easy.

The idler will have either a 15mm heax head or torx. I've had this discussion before with some alternate views but on mine this bolt is LH - Left Handed , anti-clockwise to tighten, clockwise to remove it. If you have torx I don't remember now.

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline nbat58

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Derby
Brilliant, thank you for the photos, mine has got the right handed hex that looks like it takes a special size as I have tried various sizes without success.

So, I am changing the whole tensioner.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Brilliant, thank you for the photos, mine has got the right handed hex that looks like it takes a special size as I have tried various sizes without success.

So, I am changing the whole tensioner.
Post a photo if you can

Offline Misha

• 2nd Gear
  • Sir Newb

• au Australia
      ACT
@nbat58 Did they look like this ? :

My old one which i never managed to get off was a Torx 30, but my new Dayco one was a torx 40 bolt right hand thread
  • 2010 DIESEL 1.6lt CRDi (BUILT MAY 10), AUTO SLX FD5DSLX16D31, black

Offline nbat58

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Derby
This is the best I can get, pretty tight to try and get a good photo, it looks like a hex, but none of what I have will fit, it's either not tight enought or won't fit, the other pulleys are definitely T40 torkx.

I wonder whether I need to have the tensioner loose or tensioned to loosen the 12mm bolts after removing the belt?

The below is what I bought to replace it:

:link: INA V-Ribbed Belt Tensioner Lever 534 0550 10 534055010 - 5 YEAR WARRANTY 4005108961556 | eBay
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 13:17:08 by nbat58 »

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
This is the best I can get, pretty tight to try and get a good photo, it looks like a hex, but none of what I have will fit, it's either not tight enought or won't fit, the other pulleys are definitely T40 torkx.

I wonder whether I need the have the tensioner loose or tensioned to loosen the 12mm bolts after removing the belt?

Yes it is tight in there. It's a torx and if the other pulley was T40 then this will be too. Once the belt is off, remove the 2 12mm bolts but I think the arm will be in the way so it may need to be locked in place as I mentioned earlier. None of those items will fit

Offline nbat58

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Derby
Yes, probably it is a torkx that I had tried initially to remove with a torkx and rounded off making it look like a hex, the photos posted by misha show that the arm is in the way when the tensioner is locked with the pin and out of the way when tensioned or maybe it's the angle the photo was taken?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 14:03:45 by nbat58 »

Offline nbat58

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Derby
Does anyone know what should the torque be for the two 12mm bolts?

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

18.6 - 27.5 Nm

Offline nbat58

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Derby
Great, thank you tw2005, just waiting for the delivery of the tensioner to start the job.  :goodjob2:

Offline nbat58

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Derby
Thank you very much for all your help, Job done, I have also changed the the idler pully the lower ribbed one, however, I had difficulty changing the upper deflection pulley, the one I bought came without the dust covers or the bolt.

So I have tried using the existing dust covers and bolt from the already fitted gates pulley, the bold fitted OK but the dust covers did not fit as they rendered the pully rigid and wouldn't turn, it looks like the inner pulley rim is higher than the gates, it wouldn't fit without both dust overs either as the pulley became too close to the engine body.

I am still hearing a slight whirring noise which might come from the deflection pulley but not sure.

The question is would I be able to buy the Blue Print (made by Bilstein) dust covers? or do I need to buy another pulley with the dust covers included?.

fair 5 sided dice

hyundai genesis quarter mile time

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal