i30 Owners Club

Smelly Aircon

Shuggy · 25 · 7197

Offline Shuggy

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
My aircon has started to smell foul. On startup the smell is like something is very damp and very dead. I tried cleaning the pollen filters but it did'nt help. Anyone else had this problem?

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Being in the UK I don't get to use my aircon much, if at all. However, I have noticed that on the odd occasion that it's been on (demisting the windscreen) when I turn it off there is a foul smell for a few minutes. Kind of like a damp sweaty foot odour. Might be my feet, actually, but I doubt it.

.. And welcome to the club :)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Shuggy...

Welcome to the club (Sorry, I didn't realize it was your first post)

I haven't had that smell (have you spoken to your dealer?)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Let me guess, last time you pulled up and turned the engine off, the aircon was running?

What you are smelling is condensation that is left on the condenser inside the vehicle. It attracts all sorts of pollutants and smells rather, musty.

Simple thing to fix, next time you are driving and nearing your next stop, turn the aircon off a few minutes before you pull up (Keep the fan running) this helps dry out the condenser before you stop.

This also helps with stopping the windscreen misting once you start the engine back up.

You'll find many new cars with aircon do this. (My last 7 brand new cars did this)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Thanks for that info Thumper. Useful knowledge :)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
This also helps with stopping the windscreen misting once you start the engine back up.

You'll find many new cars with aircon do this.

I've noticed this alot in this car, and unfortunately it frezzes as well.
My 1st with air con so I'll make sure the vent to the screen is not "on".
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Shuggy

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Thanks for the info guys. I'll give it a go.
 :)

Offline VFouR

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Cornwall

• Cornwall, UK. 1.6ltr CRDi Premium,Shine Red i30
From google search on aircon.

Aircon advice.

Your air-conditioning system is blended with your heater to provide you with clean, purified and dehumidified air. It should be used all year round, do not leave it turned off for long periods of time as the system will suffer from a lack of lubrication. If you do not use your air-conditioning for whatever reason turn it on at least once each week for half an hour.

Is there anything I can do to keep the aircon working?

On a modern vehicle, the best advice is to run the air conditioning continuously. Modern systems are efficient and will not add greatly to the fuel consumption. Continuous running ensures that the refrigerant and oil are circulated throughout the system, keeping the seals lubricated and preventing microbe build-up on the evaporator.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Strangely conflicting advice that bill. I don't have my manual to hand but I'm pretty sure I read in there, that the aircon should be used sparingly due to the effect the compressor has on fuel consumption. Might check up on that when I get back from work.

I hardly ever use mine, although it sometimes comes on as part of the "auto" climate control (but I immediately turn it off)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Aircon advice.

Hi bill03 .. thanks for the input (have we seen pix of your vehicle) sounds like a nice combo you've got  :razz:

Shambles,

Bills extract from Google is how I have always understood the story to be.. I haven't noticed any sifgnificant effect on my fuel economy...

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Morning Dazz - you're up early :)

The manual does indeed say to not use the aircon if at all possible. I for one don't believe the manual so will start using my aircon more often in this hot British climate  :rolleyes:  :mrgreen: to keep the bearings lubed up and seals fresh etc etc etc

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
On the subject of a smelly aircon (sorry Shuggy, we all got waylaid there for a moment) my aircon smelt rancid when I first started playing with it, but only when I turned it off, and let fresh air enter the car. This was in the days before I decided never to use it. That problem has either gone (as I don't use the aircon) or I no longer notice it (as I don't use the aircon).

Offline VFouR

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Cornwall

• Cornwall, UK. 1.6ltr CRDi Premium,Shine Red i30
I haven't turned my aircon off since i've had the car so don't know how much it effects the fuel consumption.
Couple of pics of mine..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks.. Like I thought it looks very nice...

Unfortunately even in Tasmania the Aussie sun is too savage to have a red car (fading is a real problem down here)

If I lived in a less sunny climate like you guys I would have considered Red (looks good in the i30 - especially with the 17" deluxe alloys)

Offline Shuggy

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Sorry to bring up this point again guys. I have had a few cars with aircon/climate control. Never had this problem before. It's getting so bad it almost made me vomit on two occasions. Gotta talk to the dealer. I need that aircon here in Canberra with 40c days. Guess what, climate control on 'heat', it smell even worse.

Offline davet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Coffs Harbour

• Rides: i30 crdi SLX white
yeah talk to the dealer - no smell from the AC here..

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Make sure you upload pictures of the rat! or possum! or kangaroo! ... that they find in your air vents... Or maybe even a native Korean animal!!!

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
This is an old thread but I can add to it. That sweaty smell when you switch off is cause by bacteria left in the system when it's wet. Someone already said turn the aircon off a mile or two before you park, and that will help. I have had this problem on several (not hyundai) cars.

You can also get an anti-bacteria device to help. It's a spray can. You start the car with aircon on with it set to re-circulate air  and put the device in the car and start it spraying, it sprays for a few minutes and gets sucked into the auircon and you leave it circulating for 10 minutes or so and i cleans the aircon out. Obviously you have to get out and shut the doors. Cover leather before doing it as a precaution.

In the UK these cans are about a tenner from Halfrauds, or occasionally Lidl have them on offer at about £2 a can. I use one a year and the aircon smells sweet.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
possibly a prankster put a fish head under the dash,Ive heard of that before. :rolleyes:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

As Lorian says I have had cars in the past with smelly air-com.. Don't think any of my Hyundais have had that problem so far...

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

• Was Crystal the i30 SR, now Courtney the Getz-tacy
Something I've seen that can cause this is a blocked drain on the evaporator box. As others have said, ice accumulates on the evaporator during normal use, and when the A/C defrosts (either on it's defrost cycle or when you shut the car off) the ice melts and runs out a little hose on to the ground below.

If the drain hose is blocked or not fitted properly the water can't get out and will eventually start smelling and growing mould.

The hoses tend to have a small orifice to prevent stuff actually making it's way in to the system from outside. I've seen the holes not formed properly or blocked by lint/dust and other crap which can cause the water to stay in there and stink. Haven't looked at the hose in an i30 but it certainly sounds like the evaporator box is not draining correctly.

In any case, it's something the dealer needs to look in to. It's certainly not the norm.  :D

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz

Offline Zhangster

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark
Farting and driving is a hasard thing :P   almost as bad as driving drunk hehehe

Offline swiss_i30cw

• 2nd Gear
This is an old thread but I can add to it. That sweaty smell when you switch off is cause by bacteria left in the system when it's wet. Someone already said turn the aircon off a mile or two before you park, and that will help.

I even go further, I switch off the aircon few km before the end of my journey and switch the heater to max, this will dry the ventilation system and the heat will eventually kill most of the bacteria. Open a window not to suffocate in the car.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Sounds like a good tip.. thanks..

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal