i30 Owners Club

USB flash drive and iTunes problem

Offline tricia_b1

• 1st Gear
Hi new to this site so hope this works, I have just received my i30 its going in for the protection pack tomorrow, paint etc. I am trying to put music on a flash drive to play but it didnt show up when put on using iTunes. Any andvice? Do I need to pay for a usb cable?

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hi new to this site so hope this works, I have just received my i30 its going in for the protection pack tomorrow, paint etc. I am trying to put music on a flash drive to play but it didnt show up when put on using iTunes. Any andvice? Do I need to pay for a usb cable?

Hi tricia_b1

Doesn't show up on your computer, or doesn't show up in your i30 audio console...? I don't know about iTunes but I simply drag and drop folders of .mp3 files to my USB flash drive, then when I plug the flash drive into the i30 hub I can select the tracks/folders using the audio console.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline tzwientjuh

• 5th Gear

• be Belgium
      Belgium
Hi tricia_b1

Doesn't show up on your computer, or doesn't show up in your i30 audio console...? I don't know about iTunes but I simply drag and drop folders of .mp3 files to my USB flash drive, then when I plug the flash drive into the i30 hub I can select the tracks/folders using the audio console.
.wma also works ;)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
.wma also works ;)

I wasn't aware of that. Thanks :)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
I have only .wma on my USB stick, take up much less space than mp3 :wink: and really quick to rip from CD using WMP.
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline tzwientjuh

• 5th Gear

• be Belgium
      Belgium
I have only .wma on my USB stick, take up much less space than mp3 :wink: and really quick to rip from CD using WMP.
True but I always use .mp3 because it is used the most. And my walkman phone doesn't support .mwa also ...

Offline dumbdance

• 1st Gear
I picked up our i30 yesterday.  iTunes saves your music as /m4a (MPEG4-audio) and it looks like the i30 audio software doesn't handle this format.  is there somewhere (its probably in the manual right) that specifies which audio file formats are supported?  not looking forward to re-recording a couple of hundred albums as mp3  :'(

cheers

DD

Offline Waja

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW, Australia

• Hyundai i30 CRDi '07 100,000km
isn't there a way to change the format at which itunes syncs it's music? You are able to change the sync options in wmp

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I picked up our i30 yesterday.  iTunes saves your music as /m4a (MPEG4-audio) and it looks like the i30 audio software doesn't handle this format.  is there somewhere (its probably in the manual right) that specifies which audio file formats are supported?  not looking forward to re-recording a couple of hundred albums as mp3  :'(

cheers
DD

Welcome to the club DD...

I use a 16GB memory stick full of MP3s but from what others have said if you use the proper Hyundai Ipod cable your car should be able to read whatever is on your apple "gadget" whatever it might be..

I think that's the story anyway.. :wink:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline hayseed

• 3rd Gear
If you've got an iPod plus the cable from the dealer, you should have no issue playing mp3/m4a files.

Not sure about other formats on a USB stick however, sorry. :/ Would be curious to see what sort of audio formats it supports from one though. I know that iTunes/iPods don't support OGG, which is a little annoying at times!

Offline Zhangster

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark
HI m8

i had a problem like urs.  not the completly the same.. but as ppl inhere alrdy said itunes uses m4a formats
and the cars audio cant handle that so in order to make ur flash drive play em u need to convert em.

u can download the program here and its all free :mrgreen:

http://www.maniactools.com/soft/m4a-to-mp3-converter/

as some said it would take long time to convert em.. no! not really.. it depends on what quality/bit rates. u r goin for..  the best is 320.... 192bitrates r medium ...

cheers all  :D

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria
The way the car handles m4a through the ipods, is that the ipod does all the decoding work, and the audio goes into the stereo through the aux port

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal