i30 Owners Club

plastic rattling

Zhangster · 35 · 13049

Offline Zhangster

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark
Hi guys

i have started hearing some plastic rattling around the glove compartment (behind the dashboard ) .... mostly when im goin 130-140km/h and i accelerate ...  i alrdy had my locally hyundai dealership look at it... and they tried with some tape( stick on both sides) dunno the correct word.... and it helped a bit... but not for long....

any had this problem too?

it drives me crazy :( 

thz  :)

Offline tji30

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Toowoomba

• Toowoomba, Queensland - White i30 SR (at last)
They used double-sided tape to try & fix it? Thats just wrong!

A mate of mine just got a new Holden Captiva about a month before I got my i30. He heard some rattling & took it to the dealer to fix. They tore the dashboard apart trying to find it only to discover the rattle was actually coming from under the drivers seat  :rolleyes: :lol:. Problem is they managed to break several parts of the dashboard & now he is waiting on parts so they can fix what they broke.

Offline murrayhewitt

• 2nd Gear
i have exactly the same thing.. a reasonably high pitched buzz or rattle around the glovebox.. a couple of other noises too coming from various places.. all sound like plastic rattles. only done 9000km and it is driving us nuts!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
i have exactly the same thing.. a reasonably high pitched buzz or rattle around the glovebox.. a couple of other noises too coming from various places.. all sound like plastic rattles. only done 9000km and it is driving us nuts!

I've got a little buzzy rattle near my glovebox but I've got a lot jammed in there .. next time I give her a "tart"  up I'm going to test it with nothing floating around..
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Zhangster

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark
Hi m8 

yeah they tried fix it with tape....  I know from experiance that these rattling/buzz its hard to fix those issues... so i told the mechanic im was open minded about how he fix it, and it did work for like 14days or so , but now its back.

I think it depends on temperatures... it seems to be less when its cold but im not sure it just annoys me so much now  :mad:

murrayhewitt:

im sorry to hear u have the same rattling issue... take it to ur dealership and have em take a look... 9000km aint much.... my have  gone 50000km just for u to compare... if u get this fixed let us know

cheers

They used double-sided tape to try & fix it? Thats just wrong!

A mate of mine just got a new Holden Captiva about a month before I got my i30. He heard some rattling & took it to the dealer to fix. They tore the dashboard apart trying to find it only to discover the rattle was actually coming from under the drivers seat  :rolleyes: :lol:. Problem is they managed to break several parts of the dashboard & now he is waiting on parts so they can fix what they broke.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
I had the buzzy glovebox and cured it by removing the binder containing the manual and service records.  It would appear that the glovebox doesn't really like having much weight in it. :'(
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline tji30

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Toowoomba

• Toowoomba, Queensland - White i30 SR (at last)
I had the buzzy glovebox and cured it by removing the binder containing the manual and service records.

Cured my buzzing glovebox by removing the bees!  Now I have a buzzing in the boot. :razz:

Offline Ranger

• 2nd Gear
i have the same noise somewhere around glovebox but when i told a friend of mine to stick his ear to find the source, he said more probably the noise came from the door. If i pull the plastic from the co-drivers door i hear some rattling though nothing happens if i do the same to the driver door.
The noise is very annoying and i hear it when the road quality is bad.. even with 30km/h
Has anyone find some of solution of this?

1.4 2009 model 9000km
15"alloy wheels 

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

i have the same noise somewhere around glovebox but when i told a friend of mine to stick his ear to find the source, he said more probably the noise came from the door. If i pull the plastic from the co-drivers door i hear some rattling though nothing happens if i do the same to the driver door.
The noise is very annoying and i hear it when the road quality is bad.. even with 30km/h
Has anyone find some of solution of this?

1.4 2009 model 9000km
15"alloy wheels 

Have you tried getting the dealer to fix under warranty?

Offline pumpo64

• 2nd Gear
The trouble with rattles is identifying their source - our i30 had one as the engine passed though 3000 RPM, and I was convinced it was from the passenger door.  My daughter heard it, but to her it was coming from the high level storage box.

When she removed my wife's sunglasses, the rattle stopped.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The trouble with rattles is identifying their source - our i30 had one as the engine passed though 3000 RPM, and I was convinced it was from the passenger door.  My daughter heard it, but to her it was coming from the high level storage box.

When she removed my wife's sunglasses, the rattle stopped.

I have stuff everywhere in my car at the moment and the wife and I have different opinions where the noise in my dash is coming from .. (I'll have to take everything out and put it back one by one!)  :rolleyes:

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
I too had the buzzing glovebox.  Wife would gently hold it - would stop.  I put a little grease behind the locking latch thingies that hold it closed - went away for about 6 months and now its back.  Gunna bring it up at the next service.

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz
I have a bit of a rattle between the two front wheels, but I am pretty sure that's where all the torque comes from!  :D

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I have a bit of a rattle between the two front wheels, but I am pretty sure that's where all the torque comes from!  :D

Yeah.. I have that but it goes away when the engine warms up...  :wink:

Offline iThurT

• 2nd Gear

• CRDi 1.6 Comfort in Shine Red. UK.
I too have noted a high-pitched buzz type rattle from around the glovebox which occurs mainly when driving over coarse road surfacing.
Inside the glovebox there are two, one for each side, plastic grommet inserts with which the bolts on the glovebox door locate into. These grommets are loose to the surrounding plastic bodywork and look the most likely candidates to be causing the problem. I've taped them up ready to test for effectiveness when I next drive the car.

Mick

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Thanks iThurT that's a useful observation

(PS, is that some new engine technology you list underneath your avatar? "CDRi 1.6" :P :D)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline iThurT

• 2nd Gear

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I too have noted a high-pitched buzz type rattle from around the glovebox which occurs mainly when driving over coarse road surfacing.
Inside the glovebox there are two, one for each side, plastic grommet inserts with which the bolts on the glovebox door locate into. These grommets are loose to the surrounding plastic bodywork and look the most likely candidates to be causing the problem. I've taped them up ready to test for effectiveness when I next drive the car.

Mick

Thanks Mick.. I must check that out.. I would love to silence my buzzing..

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
I told you how to silence the buzzing Dazz, remove all the crap from the box :lol: :lol:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I told you how to silence the buzzing Dazz, remove all the crap from the box :lol: :lol:

But i'm attached to my crap..

and I've got building stuff as well floating around in the car now  :D Stanley knives, key chuck for my drill, carpenters pencils .. etc..

Offline iThurT

• 2nd Gear

Hi

Just had a 40 mile drive and the rattling seems to have stopped!
Now I need to find a way to secure the grommets without any unsightly insulation tape.
A small amount of packing between them and the main bodywork would stop any movement and they obviously just 'clip' into the surrounding plastic bodywork during assembly but it might not be possible to remove them again without causing damage.
Does anyone know how to remove these at all?

Mick

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I haven't had a chance to check these grommets out .. no time and too much crap to move ..but..

Could you squirt some silicon sealer around them.. (it is flexible and can be removed later if necessary..)

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz

Offline iThurT

• 2nd Gear

It seems that the grommet 'fix' was a false dawn.  :rolleyes:
The buzz is still there on certain coarse surfaces and it seems to be coming from within the glovebox door itself.
More specifically, it appears to be coming from the L/H (passenger window) side of the door and is  possibly the bolt which fits into the L/H grommet. Further investigation is required!

Offline murrayhewitt

• 2nd Gear
soooooooooo...

found out today that the rattling glovebox problem is known by hyundai as coming from a series of warped and distorted gloveboxes that don't close properly. mine is going to be replaced under warranty, no real questions asked just a three to four week wait.

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria
I have some buzzing from the drivers seat belt adjuster up by my ear - anybody else have this? I usually squeeze the adjuster which shuts it up for a little while

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I have some buzzing from the drivers seat belt adjuster up by my ear - anybody else have this? ...

Yeah I do. It's one of a pair I have. Helps me to hear things :P
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

soooooooooo...

found out today that the rattling glovebox problem is known by hyundai as coming from a series of warped and distorted gloveboxes that don't close properly. mine is going to be replaced under warranty, no real questions asked just a three to four week wait.

Thanks for that might have to see if I can get me a replacement too  :D

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

• Was Crystal the i30 SR, now Courtney the Getz-tacy
I have some buzzing from the drivers seat belt adjuster up by my ear - anybody else have this? I usually squeeze the adjuster which shuts it up for a little while

I had that yep, I just took the trim off but couldn't see anything wrong so I put the trim back on and the noise was gone  :rolleyes:

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria
I have some buzzing from the drivers seat belt adjuster up by my ear - anybody else have this? ...

Yeah I do. It's one of a pair I have. Helps me to hear things :P

LOL, I'll pay that one! :P  :lol: :lol:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal