i30 Owners Club

plastic rattling

Zhangster · 35 · 13050

Offline iThurT

• 2nd Gear

• CRDi 1.6 Comfort in Shine Red. UK.
Hi

Well, I've finally solved my rattling problem but the cause of it contradicts everything I posted earlier! :-[

I finally traced the noise from the glovebox - around to the surround for the passenger airbag On/Off - then under the glovebox - to the top of the passenger footwell!

Just where the footwell carpet finishes right under the glovebox, there are two plastic lugs each of which have a plastic, foam-backed 'tongue' inserted into them. These are where two separate pieces of the dashboard/bulkhead plastics are joined. I noticed that with the innermost (nearest to gearshift) tongue, its foam backing wasn't poking right through allowing the lug to rattle. The edge of the carpet was just laid over the lug but, was just the right length to hook behind it and then maintain a tension on the lug and stop it rattling. This is what I did and after 100 miles, some on rough roads, the rattle appears to be completely gone. :D

A proper fix would be to also manipulate the foam through the lug but it's quite awkward to get at so I'm hoping the carpet fix is enough.
I would have bet a fortune that the rattle was from the glovebox itself and it shows how sound resonates from the unlikeliest of sources. It's definitely worth investigation for those with a 'glovebox' rattle.

Mick

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Great sleuthin' Mick :D
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

I finally traced the noise from the glovebox - around to the surround for the passenger airbag On/Off - then under the glovebox - to the top of the passenger footwell!

Just where the footwell carpet finishes right under the glovebox, there are two plastic lugs each of which have a plastic, foam-backed 'tongue' inserted into them. These are where two separate pieces of the dashboard/bulkhead plastics are joined. I noticed that with the innermost (nearest to gearshift) tongue, its foam backing wasn't poking right through allowing the lug to rattle. The edge of the carpet was just laid over the lug but, was just the right length to hook behind it and then maintain a tension on the lug and stop it rattling. This is what I did and after 100 miles, some on rough roads, the rattle appears to be completely gone. :D

It's definitely worth investigation for those with a 'glovebox' rattle.

Mick

Gr8 ... Thanks (I will have to try that - when I get time  :D
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
Thanks mate, I'll check it out tomorrow.  Speaking of rough roads, the other day I was following my GPS thru a semi-rural area when I found the road turned to gravel.  About 30km to back track to get around it so I forged on, as I was heading for an appointment.  Well the road deteriorated substantially until I was going on dirt roads thru a pine plantation!  There was rednecks riding motorbikes, emu's crossing the road - burnt out stolen cars - the works!  ESP cut in a few times when I was trying to avoid potholes, but she handled the whole ordeal with ease.  I'd just polished the car as well!  So my nice clean paint wasnt clean anymore, and the 'glovebox' rattle is back with a vengeance.

Offline trsc27

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
My rattle was coming from the rear vision mirror, will get it replaced in the next service i think, for now its a big blob of blutack keeping it nice and silent

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal