i30 Owners Club

Windscreen film

Offline kymbolino

• 2nd Gear

Sometimes when I'm driving at night, the light beams from oncoming traffic on the other side of the road comletely glare up my windscreen to the point at which I can't see anything and have to stop the car. The glare seems to be caused by a film or solution on the interior side of the windscreen. I'm not sure what it is or how to remove it.

My mate has a ford falcon and he has the same problem so I dont think it necessarily i30 specific. I'm the only person to have washed my car since I picked it up from the dealer new. I know they do a detail as part of the "dealer delivery". Is there something they apply at that stage?

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Pip
It's interesting that no-one has replied... maybe they think you jest  :D

It is well known that the plastics in the car give of "esters" that are probably not good for you.  They coat everything including the windscreen.  If you don't clean it from the inside of the screen it will appear as a fog, which sounds like that which you describe.

Clean it with whatever detergent/window cleaner you prefer.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
my windscreen on the inside did that and i think it is because armour all or something like that was used pre delivery,i used that product on several cars interiors and one of my mates said it was caused by it.i started using a damp cloth on my dash instead and it all but went away.  try it yourself,it cant hurt.
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline kymbolino

• 2nd Gear
Thanks for the replies.

Recently I got an e-tag for my car and when I was sticking it to the window I noticed a warning saying that some cars, mainly european, have an aluminium-based film on the windscreen and that the e-tag needs to be placed on a part of the windscreen that contains black hatching for it to be effective. Sure enough, the i30 contains this hatching up behing the rear view mirror. Do you think aluminium film has anything to do with it?

I'm going to try giving it a good clean tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Recently I got an e-tag for my car and when I was sticking it to the window I noticed a warning saying that some cars, mainly european, have an aluminium-based film on the windscreen and that the e-tag needs to be placed on a part of the windscreen that contains black hatching for it to be effective. Sure enough, the i30 contains this hatching up behing the rear view mirror. Do you think aluminium film has anything to do with it?

The I30's sold in the UK have a special treatment on the windscreen (I forget what Shambles calls it) but don't think we get it in Aus..

My windscreen mists up persistently in cool weather and I have to press the windscreen button on the right hand side of the temperature control to clear it..

I have a dash mat which seems to minimise the haze issue but a solution of water with about 10% metho in a spray bottle and a soft cloth should shift it....
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Yup I have athermic glass but it's not applied as a film (I don't think?) but as part of the glass manufacturing process. Sounds like a good clean will clear it kymbo :)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I sometimes get this but isn't this just dried muck on the screen causing reflection of the light?

I notice it more here in UK when the outside temperature is warm as muck dries on screen.

Alway make sure the screen is clean, give the screen a quick clean with the washers, and see if that helps.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

• Was Crystal the i30 SR, now Courtney the Getz-tacy
mine does it really badly too, I think it's the treatment I put on the leather, in addition to the usual gunk sweating out of the plastics. My Getz does it too, but not as badly as the i30. Like Dazz, I'm a big fan of metho and water to get it off, but I use newspaper instead of cloth. For some reason it works brilliantly.

Make sure not to do that on windows with tinting film though - some tints don't like it. I just use a clean chamois for my side and rear windows.

As to an extra film on the front window of UK cars, I'd be very interested to know what that is! Sounds like a good idea!

Offline Duckman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I just use my trusty chamois after I give my car a wash. It's safe to use on tinted windows that were installed at the dealer. Now none of my windows fog up :)

Offline kymbolino

• 2nd Gear
Thanks everyone for your replies. I got some good info from you that I'll try and report back on:
- Water and metho
- chamois
- warm water

Cheers!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks everyone for your replies. I got some good info from you that I'll try and report back on:
- Water and metho
- chamois
- warm water

Cheers!

and don't forget to try newspaper  :wink: :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Pip
- Water and metho
- chamois
- warm water

Cheers!

and don't forget to try newspaper  :wink: :cool:
Actually, I'm not sure but I think newspaper is out since they changed the ink (a long time ago) and it leaves ink on the window.

I'd go for a lint free cloth (linen/cotton - an old T-shirt) barely moistened with (warm) water and a trace (or none) of detergent.

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

• Was Crystal the i30 SR, now Courtney the Getz-tacy
Actually, I'm not sure but I think newspaper is out since they changed the ink (a long time ago) and it leaves ink on the window.

I'd go for a lint free cloth (linen/cotton - an old T-shirt) barely moistened with (warm) water and a trace (or none) of detergent.

I still use newspaper and don't get ink-on-the-window issues. Perhaps I read a better (or worse!) class of newspaper.  :P

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal