i30 Owners Club

Tyre pressure valve and sensor

Offline clicheuk

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK

• I30 1.6 CRDI Premium
Another issue I have found not covered by the warranty is the Tyre pressure valve.
It shows all the characteristics of corrosion and has broken away from the mid way point of the tyre valve, but the dealer isn’t having any of it and is saying it was “snapped off” and that it will cost about £90.00 for the part and to re-programme the sensor to the car.
 I’m no metal expert, so see what you guys think but if I have snapped the valve, would it not be straight?  …

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi clicheuk..

Don't think these are an option in Oz but some of our UK members and Hemmi in Iceland have them (and there has been some issues) hopefully their feedback can help you..

Please allow several days for replies (not everyone visits daily)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Well in my mind the metal looks to have become brittle and broken at a weak point - definitelty hasn't snapped otherwise as you said it would be a straight break across a horizontal line.

Just trying to think what I would do in this circumstance....

As your dealership has already said they're having none of it you won't get them to change their mind. I think I'd probably fork out the £90. Can't see you getting anywhere, although it does look corroded...

Is your TPMS system reporting low pressure now? Maybe worth paying to sort that safety issue out
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline clicheuk

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK

• I30 1.6 CRDI Premium
ive added this problem to the list of complaints that are piling up and will be sending all the info to Hyundai UK and Hyundai finance, it seems I'm going to have to take a pretty hard stance to get the service i should be getting, but i will get it eventually.
there is a tpms light on the dash now, probably because the sensor is missing, but all other safety functions seem fine.
if theres anyone out there that has a good service department in Essex, please let me know, it would be usefull to get a 2nd opinion from a dealer who takes on warranty issues the way you would expect them to.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I've had a rethink.

Do you still have the missing bit? It would be useful to see if any of it will "snap off" when using a small pair of snip-nosed pliers. Even that bit you pictured... if a small part can easily be broken away it will prove the metal has suffered from becoming brittle.

Is that something you'd care to try?

You'd have to keep any bits that could be shown to break off easily and present them as your evidence

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hey Shambles what was the issue Hemmi had.. (was it him or someone else that had one break?) I thought it got fixed under warranty...

Offline clicheuk

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK

• I30 1.6 CRDI Premium
all ive got mate is what you see in the picture, im going to see if i can find some sort of expert ( loads in essex! lol) and get a report that metal fatigue caused the break, it might cost in the short term but then all costs will be recovered.

Offline clicheuk

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK

• I30 1.6 CRDI Premium
i did a search dazz, but couldnt find anything about the valve breaking.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I could have sworn someone had one break.. here is the tread where Hemmi had an issue but it was his alternator that he thought was broken and his Tpms was also faulty...

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hey Shambles what was the issue Hemmi had..

I think that was fatboydave

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,2000.0.html

And rattly had his warranty-replaced after they all broke off (same thread) (but different problem to clicheUk's)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks M8.. thought I was going potty... (search must be case sensitive) ... That might help our friend... (should we PM him)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I think the best idea is what I think he's settling on... to try and prove the metal threaded case had become brittle and snapped off around the thread. I would try myself to break a small slither off under controlled circumstances with a small set of pliers, to prove how brittle (or otherwise) the metal has become

Offline clicheuk

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK

• I30 1.6 CRDI Premium
ive just read the thread you've put the link for and the conclusion I'm coming to is your warranty is only as good as the dealer your lucky enough to buy your car from. there must be some common database for dealers to work to regarding warranty issues rather than just picking and choosing what they want to repair and what they want to charge for.
Ive said it before that the 5 year warranty sounds great on paper and we should all have 5 yeas peace of mind, but i cant believe the aggro some of us have to go through to get the service we thought we were getting before we purchased our beloved i30's.

Pip
ive just read the thread you've put the link for and the conclusion I'm coming to is your warranty is only as good as the dealer your lucky enough to buy your car from.
Any dealer will do service/warranty work... you are not tied in any way to the guy you bought from.

Try another.

Offline clicheuk

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK

• I30 1.6 CRDI Premium
im not sure if you know pip, but i was banned from where i bought my i30 and the next nearest dealer isnt interested other than charging me for any work that they take on for the car, thanks for the info though.

Pip
im not sure if you know pip, but i was banned from where i bought my i30 and the next nearest dealer isnt interested other than charging me for any work that they take on for the car, thanks for the info though.
Like I said... try another.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
... im going to see if i can find some sort of expert ( loads in essex! lol) ...

The board administrator on the GB Hyundai forums lives in Essex and he's a qualified Hy mechanic with his own garage :D

He might have some pointers for you

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I understand that the i20's in the UK have problems with the tyre valves.

I'm not sure if the issue is related to the Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)

May be worth ringing another dealer, not 1 locally but try the other end of the country from you, for their views.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline clicheuk

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK

• I30 1.6 CRDI Premium

The board administrator on the GB Hyundai forums lives in Essex and he's a qualified Hy mechanic with his own garage :D

do you have any idea what his garage is called?

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

do you have any idea what his garage is called?

No mate, sorry. I believe he has a trade franchise within another dealership (Peugeot I think) but he also has the full range of Hyundai diagnostics & experience. I mentioned him as he will have vast local [Essex] knowledge and may be able to assist locating expertise to assist you.

www.hyundaiownersclub.co.uk

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

• Reykjavik, Iceland & Monda, Spain
Hey Shambles what was the issue Hemmi had.. (was it him or someone else that had one break?) I thought it got fixed under warranty...

My problem has now been solved, it turned out that the dealer forgot to replace the sensors when they fitted the 18" rims.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal