i30 Owners Club

Bumpy Ride?

Offline New-Owner1

• 2nd Gear

• 2009 I30 Comfort 1.4
Hi hope you can help with this one, I picked up my I30 about 3 weeks ago its the comfort 1.4 but it came with 16inch alloys rather than the 15inch, I recently have noticed that I feel every lump in the road and on a less than perfect road its quite uncomfortable, is this due to the larger alloys or perhaps the tyre pressures should be checked, im not sure if this is normal or that I should take it in to be checked. I dont want to go to the garage for nothing but its concerning me any help or opinions would be welcomed. thanks v much

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Hello,

It depends on which vehicle you previously owned/own. Hyundai i30 can get a bit "bumpy". When comparing to our Santa Fe, it's not that much of a difference, but when I compare it to our Volvo V40, I must say Volvo goes smother over the bumps. You definitely should check your tire pressure. 15's vs 16's..well it's not that much different... If you have 185/65/15 you'll fell the bumps less than 205/55/16 but not that much.. I think it could be better if you had 195/65/15 instead of 185.. I know i30's are sold with 195 and 185.

Regards

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi,

It is quite possible the tyres have been over inflated as mine had over 40psi in them at delivery. Which made them very firm.

An i30 with 16 inch alloys has a sporty but not uncomfortable ride....
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

• Was Crystal the i30 SR, now Courtney the Getz-tacy
Definitely check the tyre pressures. They come from the factory with over 50psi in them from the factory so that they don't get flat spots while the car is standing. It's part of the pre-delivery inspection to lower the pressures to the correct level, but it wouldn't be the first car to escape a dealership with too much air in the tyres!

When they have 50psi in them it certainly makes the car rather unpleasant to drive - if the tyre pressures are normal, let us know... There is one other thing that could cause it, if your car came with a factory body kit... If necessary we can look in to that. It's unlikely though.  :D

Accim is right, it also depends what car you last drove as to your perception of how the i30 handles and rides. Mine has 17 inch wheels/tyres though and I drive on roughish country roads all the time and can't fault the ride. My 80 year old grandmother comments every time she gets in the car just how comfortable it is.  :mrgreen:

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz

It is quite possible the tyres have been over inflated as mine had over 40psi in them at delivery. Which made them very firm.

Ha!  So that's how they get 4.7 litres per hundred K's!!!!

Offline Zhangster

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark

Ha!  So that's how they get 4.7 litres per hundred K's!!!!

no... the real reason is becuz when new cars r delivered to the dealer it might take a while selling em and in that time the tyres can become "boxy" if not given em some more pressure to keep em round.

dan

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
an australian i30 has an even firmer ride than other country's.i like how it rides. [it isnt like a boat on the high seas]
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal